WA vs. Mexican DV6

krcrisp

Reaction score
I had a Tacoma DV-6 and sold it and regret it. The Mexican versions look like the same guitar, how's the quality on those? Thanks.

Kevin

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I understand your regret - I own a Tacoma DV-6 and it won't leave my collection until my estate is settled.

I don't think the MIM versions of the DV6 are as good as the Tacoma versions, but you'd have to play a MIM to confirm that for yourself.

I'd hold out for a Tacoma DV-6: They appear from time-to-time, in the $600-$800 range.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not an acoustic guy, nor do I play one on television, so please bear with me.

DV6 is a Guild model. Tacoma DV-6 is a Guild DV-6 that was made in Tacoma, correct? (The other possibility being that it was branded Tacoma and made in the same factory, but not actually a Guild).

What then, is a Mexican DV-6? Was it a Guild released under the Arcos line during the New Hartford years? (Or were there MIM Guilds I have forgotten about or is it not branded Guild)?

I think the hole in my knowledge is not remembering the details of the Arcos line but if there is something else going on I'll take this as a chance to learn.

If it is an Arcos line I do not recall much discussion at LTG but what I recall was positive. My Guild dealer found it easier to sell Arcos line Guilds than GADs (or whatever the MIC line was called then) because they were more bang for the buck and were, in his experience, better guitars than non-Guilds at similar prices.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
DV-6 was a rosewood dreadnought built in Tacoma for a couple of years. Here's a link to the Guild Tacoma page via the Wayback Machine.

Here's a pic of the label in mine:

gJMONDe.jpg

The DV-6 production moved to the Ensenada plant after Tacoma closed. I've never played a MIM DV-6, so I have no idea how similar (or not) they are to the Tacoma-built items.

Here's a MIM DV-6 label:

4pBxDrX.jpg

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kevin,

I was not too happy with the Ensenada DV guitars that I sampled a few years ago (several of them). The crowns of the guitars were rough and somewhat misshapen. The finish was incredibly "raw." I felt like I was playing unfinished wood. That last part might've been "normal" for the DV series of the time, but honestly it didn't feel right to me. And, I'm a big fan of satin necks in general, so we're talking pretty extreme.

The DV-6 itself did not speak to me, sonically. The DV-4, though, I thought was wonderful (sonically). Of course it had the same "flaws" in what I'd call build quality.

So, I'm afraid I can't give you much of a recommendation on that DV-6. The DV-4 might be worth the compromises, though.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Note that the DV-6 model number was first used in the Westerly years for a DV-series dread with mahogany back and sides (the mahogany edition of the DV series). IIRC, the Westerly DV-6s have/had a very good rep... considered to be real "hidden gems" in the world of mahogany-bodied dreads.

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
Note that the DV-6 model number was first used in the Westerly years for a DV-series dread with mahogany back and sides (the mahogany edition of the DV series). IIRC, the Westerly DV-6s have/had a very good rep... considered to be real "hidden gems" in the world of mahogany-bodied dreads.

Yes indeed. I have a first-year '92 D-6nt-hg, which preceded Westerly's DV-6. In this high-gloss version, it essentially becomes a D-40 clone. Excellent build quality on mine, with a neck that's straight out of Guild's early '70s D-shaped & rather thin profile - my favorite. Back in the '70s, I bought a D-40 brand new, and was astonished that the D-6 compares so favorably in tone, playability, and appearance.

Prices can be very reasonable for late Westerly & Tacoma 'D' bodies. Personally, I'd hold out for one of those, rather than going for the Mexican-build DV-6. Hope it works out well for you!

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Prices can be very reasonable for late Westerly & Tacoma 'D' bodies.

For example, here's an incorrectly dated Westerly D6 on listed on EBay for $700 with "make an offer" (standard disclaimer: No interest, no money, already got one, SWMBO says "NO!", etc...).

[As of 10/27 reduced to $650]

I own both a Tacoma DV-6 (rosewood) and a Westerly D6 (mahogany), and they are both wonderful guitars, but very different with very different tone profiles thanks to the differences in tone woods and construction.

And they're different.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes indeed. I have a first-year '92 D-6nt-hg, which preceded Westerly's DV-6. In this high-gloss version, it essentially becomes a D-40 clone.
The "V" in Westerly meant sanded backs and sides for extra resonance, AA sitka top, necks and endblocks specially selected for strength and lightness, and shaved braces in the "6" (scalloped in the DV52).
What I recently called a" D40 on steroids"
:friendly_wink:

Last edited: