Does anyone else think Oxnard Guild's are Over Priced?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, at least there's always Coney Island Hot Dogs!

;)

fast-times.jpg

But is there a warranty?

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
Having owned two Oxnard M20s, I did feel they were slightly overpriced. I got a "deal" at $1275 new (I think it retailed for $1400) for the sunburst model.
To my ear and hands, it was an $850 guitar.

If someone is interested in that guitar, I'd recommend the all mahogany and not the burst. The burst smelled bad and seemed poorly done. Several of the mahogany ones I saw online had chips in them, though. So there's that.

I returned it and bought a used New Hartford D-40 for $850 in brand new condition, and it's a much better guitar.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Having owned two Oxnard M20s, I did feel they were slightly overpriced. I got a "deal" at $1275 new (I think it retailed for $1400) for the sunburst model.

If someone is interested in that guitar, I'd recommend the all mahogany and not the burst. The burst smelled bad and seemed poorly done. Several of the mahogany ones I saw online had chips in them, though. So there's that.

I returned it and bought a used New Hartford D-40 for $850 in brand new condition, and it's a much better guitar.

We’re these new models ?
Bad smell and chips Sounds like Córdoba hired some ex Gibson workers ! Ha ! Only kidding lol couldn’t help myself . Sorry :(

jmascis

Reaction score
We’re these new models ?
Bad smell and chips Sounds like Córdoba hired some ex Gibson workers ! Ha ! Only kidding lol couldn’t help myself . Sorry :(

The natural mahogany ones I saw online that had chips were new from dealers and discounted b/c of the chips. I saw a few like that when I was shopping for an M-20.

They do sound pretty good, though, fwiw. If someone is interested in one I'd say get the mahogany/natural finish and not the burst. The burst is cheap varnish type finish and it really smells bad.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The natural mahogany ones I saw online that had chips were new from dealers and discounted b/c of the chips. I saw a few like that when I was shopping for an M-20.

They do sound pretty good, though, fwiw. If someone is interested in one I'd say get the mahogany/natural finish and not the burst. The burst is cheap varnish type finish and it really smells bad.

Wow that’s disappointing all around can’t fantom them letting that go like that unless it was the packing crew but the smell thing really bugs me are their noses bad like all of them ? Lol

Kitarkus

Reaction score

I've been really eyeing those M20's. Hell..I'd been eyeing the F20's for a couple of years now! I have not yet truly found one....but I did purchase (and quickly sold) an F20 that needed a neck reset. I seem to know that I love the 'idea' of these little small body Guilds....but the reality is that once I hear them....I am seldom satisfied with the tone of the small parlor size or small body guitars. I once had a Larivee Parlor...hated the tone. I love the idea of their size, portability, easy of playing on the couch etc.

Surely I should learn by now...that my old and trusty Yamaha FG110 EXACTLY fulfills the idea in my head of what I think the M20/F20 will accomplish for me. My FG110 is so easy to play...has a satisfying tone...and is a smaller body guitar. Everyone who plays it looks at me funny after a bit and says 'wow'...that is a neat little guitar....and it truly is. I paid $100 for it and I wouldn't ever sell it.

Also....I don't want the 1 3/4 nut on the new M20...so that is a deal breaker. I'd really like to get my hands on an F20 from New Hartford....but that seems to be a difficult animal to track down...'cept for the Ebayer from Canada who proclaims 'last one!".

I also bought a used D40 last week on a lark...a New Hartford...and I really really like it. It isnt' a couch guitar....but damn I'm impressed with it. I'd even venture that it is the best dread I've ever played at this price point - $800 +/-.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe one of these will fit the nich ��

bobouz

Reaction score
I seem to know that I love the 'idea' of these little small body Guilds....but the reality is that once I hear them....I am seldom satisfied with the tone of the small parlor size or small body guitars. I once had a Larivee Parlor...hated the tone. I love the idea of their size, portability, easy of playing on the couch etc.
I purchased a new F-20 back in the '70s, and found it to be a bit too thin overall. Quickly traded it for a new F-30, which was much fuller in tone & quite satisfying - and currently have a '73 F-30R.

Over the years, I've played & owned some fine sounding small Martins. My first taste of this was a 1970 OO-18 that just completely blew me away in the overall depth & richness of it's tone. Played that one for 20+ years. Currently, I have a OOO-16 made in 2000, that nicely fills that niche (pre-micarta/richlite, it has a striped ebony board & bridge).

Finally, Gibson brought back it's LG (Little Guitar) series in 2013 with the LG-2 American Eagle, and it's still in production. These can be fine little boxes, and have the short 24.75" scale, along with a fairly narrow neck profile. I've had many versions of Gibson's LG over the years, and currently have two. Going back to the '40s, tonally they can range from quite mediocre to having the voice of angles. You've really got to play a few to get an overall feel for their capabilities.

But the point is that there truly are some fine small-body instruments out there that can be highly satisfying. Keep looking, and I would think that eventually you'll come across a gem.

Edit: In all of the above cases, I'd look at the used market. New versions will be rather spendy, but I've seen some great used prices in recent months.

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
I've been really eyeing those M20's. Hell..I'd been eyeing the F20's for a couple of years now! I have not yet truly found one....but I did purchase (and quickly sold) an F20 that needed a neck reset. I seem to know that I love the 'idea' of these little small body Guilds....but the reality is that once I hear them....I am seldom satisfied with the tone of the small parlor size or small body guitars. I once had a Larivee Parlor...hated the tone. I love the idea of their size, portability, easy of playing on the couch etc.

Surely I should learn by now...that my old and trusty Yamaha FG110 EXACTLY fulfills the idea in my head of what I think the M20/F20 will accomplish for me. My FG110 is so easy to play...has a satisfying tone...and is a smaller body guitar. Everyone who plays it looks at me funny after a bit and says 'wow'...that is a neat little guitar....and it truly is. I paid $100 for it and I wouldn't ever sell it.

Also....I don't want the 1 3/4 nut on the new M20...so that is a deal breaker. I'd really like to get my hands on an F20 from New Hartford....but that seems to be a difficult animal to track down...'cept for the Ebayer from Canada who proclaims 'last one!".

I also bought a used D40 last week on a lark...a New Hartford...and I really really like it. It isnt' a couch guitar....but damn I'm impressed with it. I'd even venture that it is the best dread I've ever played at this price point - $800 +/-.

Congrats on the D40. I play mine on the couch, but it is a bit large for that, and I've been looking for something smaller.
Did that FG110 need a neck reset?
I have an old FG400 series and love it...except for the high nut and collapsed bridge that make the action nearly impossible to play. But it has a great, slinky feel and nice blues type grit.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Maybe one of these will fit the nich ��

I'd not heard of this guy before....really interesting...his work looks stellar. This is more guitar than I would EVER need.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Congrats on the D40. I play mine on the couch, but it is a bit large for that, and I've been looking for something smaller.
Did that FG110 need a neck reset?
I have an old FG400 series and love it...except for the high nut and collapsed bridge that make the action nearly impossible to play. But it has a great, slinky feel and nice blues type grit.

Funny story. I have a buddy who really likes to tinker with guitars. I gave him one of my FG series nippon gakki guitars to attempt a reset and he ended up destroying my guitar accidentally. He ended up giving me his FG110 that he had performed a successful neck reset on....this is the one that I use today. I told him no biggie....but he just could not allow me to leave minus one guitar...so he gave me the FG110. It plays beautifully and easily...and though not the most refined tone....it is a completely satisfying tone. The best part of the guitar...is that it is the one that is always sitting out. I don't even own a case for it and I don't care. I can throw it in the car....go camping or whatever. Funny thing is....I would really be unhappy if I lost/hurt/destroyed it. I should probably be more careful with it.

I have a suspicion that after I drop $1K +/- on some F20 or M20....I would finally realize that my FG110 is EXACTLY what I'd been seeking....and it has been with me all along. Everyone should have a guitar like this in their herd imo.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd not heard of this guy before....really interesting...his work looks stellar. This is more guitar than I would EVER need.

Yes Bens work is stellar , his attention to detail is hard matched regardless of appointments .
Not cheap but you get exactly what you pay for ;)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No, not overpriced. The ones I've played were well made, great sounding guitars. I don't think it's possible to build that kind of acoustic guitar in the USA for less and make a profit. I really think it's that simple.