RIP Duane Allman

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed off the Fillmore album is one of my all time favorites.

That band at it's height was a force of nature.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to see Duane with the ABB, not too long before he died. We arrived at noon for a 7:00 open seating concert so we could sit in front of Duane. I’ll never forget it. One of the all time greats.
Play on Skydog!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
46 years ago today was brother Duane's tragic motorcycle accident; Oct. 29, 1971. Arguably one of the best guitar players ever, and he only lived to be 23.

I'm working on learning to play this song:

I'm also a big fan of Duane Allman's music. Lately, I have been enjoying the recent CD release "Live From A&R Studios, New York". It is probably the best recording I've ever heard of Duane Allman's tone on slide and lead guitar. The individual notes have a bloom of harmonics surrounding them that makes them sound incandescent. In the middle of "You Don't Love Me" the band pays a spontaneous tribute to King Curtis by playing the song "Soul Serenade". Check it out!

The secret to "Little Martha" is that it is played in open E tuning... which you may already know.

Bill

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Joe, that would be fun!

Duane is one of my top 5 guitar players. He quit high school to stay home and play guitar, I bet his Mom and Dad were thrilled about that.

Actually, Gregg as the first one to take up guitar, but then he deferred to Duane, who started playing slide guitar with an empty Corcidin bottle from the medicine cabinet.

By age 18, Duane was a studio musician in Atlanta. The rest is history. In my humble opinion, Duane Allman was even better than Eric Clapton, and he only lived to be 23 years old.

Sadly, he died on my 17th birthday, 10/29/1971. Hard to believe he was only six years older than me.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thing is, I don't read music, so this is basically the only way for me to learn new stuff, i.e, practice, practice, practice.

Now imagine a young man like Duane Allman composing this song! It's like he was born with it already in his head.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Joe, that would be fun!

Duane is one of my top 5 guitar players. He quit high school to stay home and play guitar, I bet his Mom and Dad were thrilled about that.

Actually, Gregg as the first one to take up guitar, but then he deferred to Duane, who started playing slide guitar with an empty Corcidin bottle from the medicine cabinet.

By age 18, Duane was a studio musician in Atlanta. The rest is history. In my humble opinion, Duane Allman was even better than Eric Clapton, and he only lived to be 23 years old.

Sadly, he died on my 17th birthday, 10/29/1971. Hard to believe he was only six years older than me.

I was 4 and would have had no clue. My Dad was playing Elvis records then still and Pat Boone then in rural Mass. He would have had no clue either :)
Had my uncle not bought be Boston's Boston on my 12th birthday, I might still be listening to Barry Manilow. Instead of just dressing like him...

(oh come on, that one is funny)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was 4 and would have had no clue. My Dad was playing Elvis records then still and Pat Boone then in rural Mass. He would have had no clue either :)
Had my uncle not bought be Boston's Boston on my 12th birthday, I might still be listening to Barry Manilow. Instead of just dressing like him...
(oh come on, that one is funny)
This Barry Manilow?:
Barry-Before-He-Was-Famous-barry-manilow-40658354-236-296.jpg

Or this one:

Barry-Manilow-barry-manilow-6426233-372-500.jpg

It's Halloween too.
I wore this one today:
f941450aa4c79c3e614ef7f8bc6b05fa--tree-skirts-plaid-suit.jpg

But even with a wig nobody's figured out who I am yet.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
oh, i would have to go with #3...

Al, I write the songs that make the whole world sing...

imagine, having that arrogance when you wake up in the morning :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
oh, i would have to go with #3...
To be fair, by '73, and since Dreadnut mentioned Clapton, the whole world was goin' a little crazy:
47cfbf391947042a4fa97710c3bcafc3--john-mayall-pattie-boyd.jpg

Al, I write the songs that make the whole world sing...

imagine, having that arrogance when you wake up in the morning :)

Hey it's hard to be humble when you're all over television 24/7:
"...he began work as a commercial jingle writer, which continued well into the 1970s. Many of the TV jingles he wrote and/or composed he would also perform, including State Farm Insurance ("Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there") or Band-Aid ("I am stuck on Band-Aid, 'cause Band-Aid's stuck on me!"), for which he adopted a childlike voice and wrote the music (Donald B Wood wrote the lyrics). His singing-only credits include commercials for Kentucky Fried Chicken, Pepsi, and Dr Pepper.[16] Manilow won two Clio Awards in 1976 for his work for Tab and Band-Aid"

Dread, dumb question maybe, but you are aware that Clapton might very well have felt that way too?:
From Wiki's "Layla" page:

"A serendipitous event brought Clapton and guitarist Duane Allman together shortly after the Dominos had begun recording at Criteria Studios in August 1970. Veteran producer Tom Dowd was working on the Allman Brothers second album, Idlewild South, when the studio received a phone call that Clapton was bringing the Dominos to Miami to record. Upon hearing this, Allman indicated that he would love to drop by and watch, if Clapton approved.

Allman later called Dowd to let him know that his band was in town to perform a benefit concert on 26 August. When Clapton learned of this from Dowd he insisted on going to see their show, saying, 'You mean that guy who plays on the back of (Wilson Pickett's) 'Hey Jude'? … I want to see him play … let's go.' Clapton and company managed to sit in front of the barricade separating the audience from the stage. When they sat down, Allman was playing a solo. As he turned around and opened his eyes and saw Clapton, he froze. Dickey Betts, the Allmans' other lead guitarist, took up where Allman left off, but when he followed Allman's eyes to Clapton, he had to turn his back to keep from freezing, himself.[6]

After the show, Allman asked if he could come by the studio to watch some recording sessions, but Clapton invited him there directly, saying: "Bring your guitar; you got to play!" Overnight, the two bonded; Dowd reported that they "were trading licks, they were swapping guitars, they were talking shop and information and having a ball – no holds barred, just admiration for each other's technique and facility."[7] Clapton wrote later in his autobiography that he and Allman were inseparable during the sessions in Florida; he talked about Allman as the 'musical brother I'd never had but wished I did'.[8]"

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I remember you sharing this story Al before, always like the below...

Clapton and company managed to sit in front of the barricade separating the audience from the stage. When they sat down, Allman was playing a solo. As he turned around and opened his eyes and saw Clapton, he froze. Dickey Betts, the Allmans' other lead guitarist, took up where Allman left off, but when he followed Allman's eyes to Clapton, he had to turn his back to keep from freezing, himself.[6]

After the show, Allman asked if he could come by the studio to watch some recording sessions, but Clapton invited him there directly, saying: "Bring your guitar; you got to play!" Overnight, the two bonded; Dowd reported that they "were trading licks, they were swapping guitars, they were talking shop and information and having a ball – no holds barred, just admiration for each other's technique and facility."[7] Clapton wrote later in his autobiography that he and Allman were inseparable during the sessions in Florida; he talked about Allman as the 'musical brother I'd never had but wished I did'.[8]"