Today's Impulse Buy: X82

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I shouldn't have bought this because I just bought a new camera, but Ive been looking for one for over a year and the price was right(ish).

pgu1dqnekaadwn6atuxu.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
As for the camera because I know someone will ask, I got a Fuji Xe3 with 16-55mm kit lens (24-85mm equivalent). In theory it's for travel because my Pannasonic LX7 got stolen a few months back. I'm hoping the Fuji isn't too big but we'll see.

fujifilm-x-e3-camera-rumors.jpg

I think the lens is what will kill me but I'm not a fan of primes while traveling. Still, Some of Fuji's primes are pretty killer. Here's the older Xe2 with the 35mm f/1.4 (53mm equiv).

X-E2_Silver_Front_Left_35mm_Crop.jpeg

And here's the even older XE1 with the much smaller 18mm f/2 (27mm equiv). If I do go prime for travel, this is probably the lens I'd get.

fuji-x-e1-xf-18mm.jpg

Oof - I think I just mega-veered my own post...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw that one; wondered if you wanted it. (Won't even bother with need.)

matsickma

Reaction score
Nice guitar...As "pointy" 80's guitars go the X82 with setneck and Humbuckers and the X79-3 with sc pups are my favorite.
Both have their points rounded off. Perfer a trem and sunburst color but color wouldn't be a deal breaker.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I saw that one; wondered if you wanted it. (Won't even bother with need.)

That is wise at this point.

Nice guitar...As "pointy" 80's guitars go the X82 with setneck and Humbuckers and the X79-3 with sc pups are my favorite.
Both have their points rounded off. Perfer a trem and sunburst color but color wouldn't be a deal breaker.
M

The X79-3 is crazy light but it's rare to find one without serious finish chips these days.

I really liked the X88 I had but it was too damn pointy and too ungainly in that it banged into everything. I'm interested to see how much different the X82 it. Also the X82 has a set neck which I greatly prefer. As an '80s guy I love trems, but the balance of the X88 made the trem all but useless to me while standing thanks to the goofy strap peg positions.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD, you are my hero. An "impulse buy" for me is a candy bar at the gas station...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
GAD, you are my hero. An "impulse buy" for me is a candy bar at the gas station...

walrus

It's probably not wise to admire someone's impulse control issues. :emmersed:

matsickma

Reaction score
Had a bolt-on neck X82 years ago. Comfortable playing guitar with good access to the upper frets. The bolt-on neck was uncomfortable at the upper frets.
What type of "head" does your setneck X82 have? "V" shape or "A" shape? Don't know which came first or which is more rare. I suspect "V" is the more rare style.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Had a bolt-on neck X82 years ago. Comfortable playing guitar with good access to the upper frets. The bolt-on neck was uncomfortable at the upper frets.
What type of "head" does your setneck X82 have? "V" shape or "A" shape? Don't know which came first or which is more rare. I suspect "V" is the more rare style.
M

One of the things I didn't like about the X88 was the bolt on neck. Made it feel clunky.

There are at least three headstocks I've seen on X82s: The V-shape, the one I bought (below) and the sort of angular '80s shredder-type (think Jackson guitars).

Here's the headstock of the guitar I bought. I like this one. Looks more "stabby". :)

yfbqhsghyq2sweqm1wjb.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
I've seen the "A" shape like GADs the most but in the last 4 or 5 months the "V" shaped type showed up twice. It is a pretty large in size "V" that looks a little awkward. Unfortunately I don't have a picture to post.
M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

matsickma

Reaction score
Interestingly...he mentioned one of the tuning keys is missing a cover. I remember having a tuning key cover missing on a guitar so I guess it was the X82.

Don't have records of who I sold it to so it may have been around the block a bit from my days but no one made any changes. I bought the case after I got the guitar so I may have had $800 to $900 into it including shipping. I would have to spend some time going through records and pictures but I probably sold it 10 years ago.

That color is close to the DeArmond "Tyrillian Purple" seen on some Jetstar bass, guitars and M75's. Not sure I spelled that correctly.
M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Elderly had a “crazy” Guild (forget which one) for awhile last year so of course I had to give it a spin. :) Felt & played pretty nice.

Re. travel cameras, I’m out & about right now and have my Panasonic GX8 with me. Lenses are 12, 20, 42.5 & 14–140mm (24, 40, 85 & 28–280mm equiv.). The 20mm lives on the camera most of the time. Back in 35mm film days I loved lenses in the 40–45mm range.

-Dave-