String tension for storage.

idealassets

Reaction score
Over the past few years I have gotten a few more electric guitars, and as fate might have it everyone wants to know what a player can do on an electric, since there are plenty of very good acoustic players around.

So, now that my acoustic guitars are in the closet, what would the best tension be for storage? I still have a Guild F512 and D-55. and my practice guitars are a Blueridge 12 string and Alvarez 6 string. I know that there is back pressure from the truss rod, and I would imagine the best bet is to leave the set-ups as-is, but to just re-tune lower.

Thank you,
Craig

Last edited:

jmascis

Reaction score
I think tuning a full step flat is a safe bet for nothing radical happening.

If you keep your temperature and humidity under control that will help things, too.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
On my Acoustics if they are going to be stored for awhile I tune down each tuner 3-4 half turns from standard. I do this on my 6 strings and 12 strings. This relieves some of the tension but still leaves enough for my taste to not have adverse effects on the structure of the guitars. It also gives me a reference when I pull them back out to play to start fine tuning after 3-4 turns back up on the tuners. Granted I also make sure Humidity and temperature are at optimum levels before storing them as well. Best of luck!

TX

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Yes, humidity and temperature are important. I bought the F512 new from the dealer for $2750 in 2010, which sounded like a lot at the time. The salesman explained all about temp and humidity, which I have adhered to ever since. On my own I discovered the Planet Waves Humid Paks, which sounded like the best way to go, and most likely still is.

To bad they'll be in the closet for some time, but still good as new.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
if light gauge strings, i think a 1/2 step down even be ok, i mean the stored guitar needs some tension...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Temp and humidity are more important than loosening the strings imho. I would just leave them in tune; that is where they are designed and built to be.

Neal

Reaction score
I tend to drop the low E to D before casing any of my guitars.

Some I case in open D.

Either way, they are ready to grab and play something right away.