Pitchlab Lite

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone use the Pitchlab Lite guitar tuner? Free apt download and I tuned my Guild today using one on friend's phone. I was very impressed. What tuner do you use or do you tune by ear?

poser

Reaction score
I use SNARK tuners. I like them because they work even if it's a little noisy and they're pretty inexpensive.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, I use a $10 snark. Amazing little invention. Of course, long ago used to tune by ear when there weren't any such items, or I didn't know about them. I thought I had a pretty good ear. That was then.... :sentimental:

kostask

Reaction score
I use the iStrobosoft tuner on both iPhone and Android. I only use the basic version, there are "tuner packs" that can be added on to the iOS/iPhone version (Sweetener Packs (including Buzz Feiten), Tuning Tools (oscilloscope display, Spectrum Analyzer display, Spectrum Analyzer Bar Graph, and Spectrogram display), Harmonic Tuning, Extended Frequency Tuning). The base pack is a paid app, and the iPhone tuner packs are in-app purchases. From what I can tell, this is as accurate as a standalone Peterson Tuner, at least the standard LCD based one. I don't know if it is as accurate as the higher end piano tuner, because I have never seen one. You can also get input cords and plug in microphones from Peterson for the older iPhones that had headphone jacks.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cleartune app on IPhone but mostly I use my Daws tuner when I record .

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use whatever I get my hands on first. There is a Snark that still has a working mic but has stopped responding to vibration. Reverb offered some Snark clones for $5 and made a charitable donation of $5 for each purchase, so there are a couple floating around that get used. My favorite, when I can find one of them in my space, is a Korg CA-40.

00705e2ec8defa9b31cfe301ae3decff_pc.jpg

Because I am mostly tuning an electric bass being able to plug in and ignore room noise is huge. I have been known to play an A on some other instrument and tune to that, which I guess means my ears are my tuner, but I understand that is difficult for some people and a dying art. Nevertheless after using an electronic tuner, I do a few quick checks with my ears and make adjustments.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I use SNARK tuners. I like them because they work even if it's a little noisy and they're pretty inexpensive.

Yeah, this. A hundred times this.

I was at Guitar Center last night, playing around in their high end acoustic room. (Hey, it was either that or go to Burlington Coat factory with my wife!) I was having a good time trying out different guitars. (GC is amazing, you can play any guitar you want as long as it it Martin or Taylor. :rolleyes-new:)

Counter Dude brings another guy in to try out a martin. Hands him a tuner and leaves. I'm not really watching, but I sense after about two minutes, the guys still just sitting there. I look over and he is turning the tuner over and over in his hand, puzzled.

I say: "Hey, I have a snark, if you'd like to use it." Instantly he looks at me like I just offered to change the tire in his car. "Really? Please!"

30 seconds later he's happy and playing.

Snarks are great.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to be snarky, but I use a snark. I have three.

One of them I found after the neighborhood farmers market. I knew who lost it. I made several attempts to return it to the guy, but he's too much of a rock star to come to my house at a designated time or answer an email. I decided to keep it.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
My main tuner is a Boss TU-12EX, on my mobile and tablet I use the daddario app (D‘tools), when I play at home I often tune by ear using harmonics, and just two hours ago I bought a used Korg DTR1000. I also have a piezo clip-on microphone for tuning which I can plug into the Korg or Boss for guitars without a pickup.

But what I don’t have is a snark. I once bought one and it stopped working after less than three months. :mad:

Markus :smile:

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Many Snarks, but also Fishman, Guild, D'Addario, Peterson, and, when I want to tune the lute to something other than A=440, the PanoTuner app.

Basically, find one that works for you; there's enough choices.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
No snark intended, but did you try replacing the battery?
Yes, I did.

I bought it at the guitar show in Arlington some years ago together with some Shubb capos. Every time I put those on they remind me of the good time we had there and the great folks we met. Thank god they are much more reliable than the snark.

Markus :smile:

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am guessing it was mostly by ear but for about 40 years, I used a good harmonica like a pitch pipe. It was (and still is) a "C" tuned harmonica so that added a little twist to tuning all 12 strings...First tune up the A string at the third fret, then tune every other string to that one. Once the smart phone came into my possession, I used the Gstrings free app..... just could not pass up the name...... I am guessing there is a Snark in the future however....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Snarkies are pretty cheap and work pretty well, I'm on my 3rd one, but I still carry my old "Intellitouch" tuner around in my Guild D-25 case. The tuner has it's own hardshell case. It's gotta be close to 20 years old.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Petersen iStrobosoft on my phone, or TC electronic Polytune, if I was thinking ahead. Both seem really accurate. When you have a 12 string, those octave strings NEED to be in tune with each other.

crank

Reaction score
Another Snarker here.

But I also have a free phone app that works well called Guitartuna. Great for situations such as playing guitars at a store or wherever when you aren't carrying a tuner and want a quick easy tune. Ears are great but it's nice to know you are at pitch and it's way easier to see a tuner when there are other things making noise in your immediate area.