Less than a "Gig," more than an "Open mic"...

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Repeated my performance from last year at the "Heber Valley Western Music and Cowboy Poetry Gathering" last Friday... but was given a 35 minute set this year (last year I played just 3 songs in 15 minutes). My eight song set included:

Night Rider's lament (Michael Burton)/Still got my home on the range (Will Dudley)
Cowboy's last wish (Will Dudley)
Texas River song (AKA Brazos River song; traditional?)
The Gift (song about Charlie Russell the painter; Ian Tyson)
Summer Wages (Ian Tyson)
Ballad of William Dubois (Will Dudley)
My Sweet Wyoming Home (Bill Staines).

All in all, it went OK... A few minor chord change glitches, quickly corrected... but I remembered all the words. My biggest fear was forgetting the first line of a song, and not being able to get started. So, my set list cheat sheet had the key, capo, and first line of each song on a 4"x6" file card that I set on the floor at my feet if I needed it. I never really did...

There were 20-30 in the audience, including my wife, the sound guy (did a great job), and the host. They seemed to enjoy it...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
congrats Dave! Nice that you never forgot words to the songs, my memory is like a goldfish, most likely why I can only do instrumentals :). well, that and I am no singer.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a perfect set for that venue, Dave. Congrats on getting through, and doing well. I'm not good at playing in front of people, so..... it's kind of a big deal to me!! :encouragement::encouragement:

idealassets

Reaction score
That's great with just a 4x6 card. That's what it was like in the 70's when I made money at this, you didn't ever use a song sheet. However today nearly everyone walks in with a 3" thick binder that has all their song sheets in it.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...today nearly everyone walks in with a 3" thick binder that has all their song sheets in it.
At the jam I attend irregularly (couple times a month, depending on work and kids soccer schedule), half the players are looking up the songs on their phones or tablets...

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Forgot to mention... I played my "blue 72" ('94 DV-72 in turquoise). Thought about taking my DV-73... it's got a little more jangle to it that suits cowboy music. But decided on the 72 at the last minute. One member of the duo that followed me played a JF30-12...

Anne (wife) is glad it's over... I haven't played much else but those 8 tunes for the last month!

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well done!

(Tough having to choose between playing a DV-72 and playing a DV-73, I imagine).

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tough having to choose between playing a DV-72 and playing a DV-73, I imagine.
Even tougher... the choice is always between the DV-73, turquoise DV-72, and malachite DV-72 MK! Definitely a first world problem!

Reaction score
That's great with just a 4x6 card. That's what it was like in the 70's when I made money at this, you didn't ever use a song sheet. However today nearly everyone walks in with a 3" thick binder that has all their song sheets in it.

First off, I have to say congrats to the OP for the 35 minute solo performance. That's a nice accomplishment.

Regarding the binders/IPADs/cheat sheets that have blossomed on stage in recent years, I find it a bit odd. If I put my mind to it, I can memorize chords and lyrics to almost anything. Granted, I ain't playing Mahavishnu Orchestra material.