Which Guitar would you buy?

PittPastor

Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a Guild sent to my local GC so I can buy it risk free. My thought is I will take it to Stuart to give me an appraisal on it, and then play if for a week or so, and (hopefully) everything works out and I pick up a finger-picking guitar. So, I'm looking for 1 3/4" nut. Onboard Electronics a plus, though obviously that can be added. I want to stay at GC because I have a card there, and their return policy is nice and easy.

All that said:

I see these. What is the best guitar do you think, and why?

GAD30E - $499

GAD-30PCEITB - $699

CV1 - $579

I have my thoughts, but I would love to hear the experts weigh in!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a bad experience with an F4CE. Its a shallow body best when plugged in; and the example I had briefly had a huge neck angle problem. I'm speculating because there wasn't a deep neck block for it to sit in. Not a great acoustic instrument IMHO.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I had a bad experience with an F4CE. Its a shallow body best when plugged in; and the example I had briefly had a huge neck angle problem. I'm speculating because there wasn't a deep neck block for it to sit in. Not a great acoustic instrument IMHO.

Thanks for the input. Wasn't thrilled with that one TBH. Looks like it was used pretty hard, and no hard case seems like a neg as well.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Huh the links wont open for me .
But one says cv-1 I’ll sell you mine she’s not pristine but sounds and plays pretty darn good and can get loud . Has some Guild checks and NCL chip on the side of the head stock otherwise she looks good.

It did have repairs and in the end I did them myself as I’m just to picky about stuff ok ok so I’m anal but hey it’s right . :)

Anyway all joking a side I’ll give you a good deal and I can ship it to you to try, if you like it buy it , if not send it back .

If you want to make payments I’m good with that to sir .

Let me know . :)

I posted this before possibly on one of your other threads it’s the Cv-1 in question and in action finger picked as most my stuff anyway here is .

If ya heard it great if not now ya can . ;)

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/new-guild-cv-1-fine-lines

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
All that said:

I see these. What is the best guitar do you think, and why?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/GAD30E-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/GAD-30PCEITB-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/CV1-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Guild/F4CE-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar.gc

All come with a case except the f4CE which has a bag.

Being a made in USA loyalist and knowing that most Fxxce's are best in a narrow niche, I homed in in the CV-1, but linky no worky?
They've got great potential but there are some known duds out there, a long story, but basically a lot of 'em were liquidated at close of Tacoma.
Of those some developed severe neck twisting problems and they gave the brand a bit of a black eye.
Owners who have good ones seem to love 'em.
CV-1's were based on F30 size specs and had a novel neck join which featured a "spider" bracing system attached to the heelblock to help distribute energy to the top.
Fender had applied for a patent on the system and then never followed though when Tacoma closed, so they're very unique in Guild's design heritage.
If it's got a bar code sticker on the headstock or over the s/n that's a pretty sure sign of an instrument that was "refurbished' by MIRC Fender's designated liquidation channel.
Not neccesarily a bad thing, as a lot of those guitars didn't actually have problems, they just needed to go through that channel, so it's just an answer waiting for the question to come up.
I'd really like to try one out someday, myself.
:friendly_wink:
EDIT: I see Ray spoke up about his, he got one that had been through MIRC, but still not a stellar re-furb job when he got it.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would only consider the GAD models on your list there. Not a fan of the 4 series, and while Ray digs his CV-1, it has too much bad history as a model to invest in. However, the GADs are great guilds.

Nothing local on CL from like Westerly or a US model Guild? I know they did not do a lot of 1 3/4 vs other companies, but there have to be some out there.

ah, risk free, well, that might rule out some other online channels :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
No experience here except my buddy has an F5CE. Plugged in it sounds great. Unplugged it sounds like a duck.

Last edited:

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
As an aside, the F4CE's are 1 5/8" necks, so if you don't like skinny necks, move along.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would only consider the GAD models on your list there. Not a fan of the 4 series, and while Ray digs his CV-1, it has too much bad history as a model to invest in. However, the GADs are great guilds.

Nothing local on CL from like Westerly or a US model Guild? I know they did not do a lot of 1 3/4 vs other companies, but there have to be some out there.

ah, risk free, well, that might rule out some other online channels :)

Ok Wes it’s on now ! oh now you gone and done it !
You and me right here right now man !

That’s what I love this place everyone looking out for each other can’t get no better then this , unless we built a bar 😁

Cv-1’s and Co’s Had issues bad ones . One thing is about me I won’t lie bout nothing. Lol

In another thread the Pitt posted I stated the same as you sir . 😜

Though the pics are gone the Repair thread is still up I think .

Also know that’s not a secrete that I bought this as a Repair project .

Only point I’m gunna discuss is by no means is this Guitar an investment ! I’ll also carry that out to any other normal factory produced line of guitars with exception to “some “ special build models produced but even that is not a given investment .

Point in case the F30 Standard I’m sending back A NewHampshire model at that so what gives ?

Gads for the ones I’ve seen are built pretty good no complaints there. I had one ! but if your hearing is sharp you might find yourself going through a few to get one right in the time department.

If PittPastor wants shiny and new I’m all happy for ya sir lol
If you want something that sounds good ( which you would still have to decide on ) and you can beat on it and not really care something like this is right on especially if the price is right !

(If could get a very good price adjustment on the f30 I’d consider keeping it and taking it apart ! )

Id like all here to know this CV-1 Guitar is structurally sound . I play hard ! look at me ! Ya I’m a tad fat now but strong like bull and if there was issues with it I’d know by now , Hulk Smash ! Lol

Hey Pitt you see that Co-1 at Guitar Center Sunburst cutaway ? I almost bought it ! 2 weeks back . So for me if the price is right and Guitar is right im buying it ! I’m not put off by bad history . Funny thing is there’s plenty of excellent models out there but you never hear of them getting any praise , guess that’s where I come in Haha!

Now that West got me going I just might become the only Guild member CV/CO lover collecter and player here 😜

To end ; my dodge Dakota quad cab 4.7 4x4 has the paint peeling off , headliner for the billionth time coming apart plus other stuff . She starts up and she’s fast . Does everything I ask the difference between New is I don’t care where I take her she happy anywhere svratches font bother her nor does she mind a tree getting in the way ;)
Not an investment, just saying lol

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
PittPastor;1779321I want to stay at GC because I have a card there said:
their return policy is nice and easy. [/I]

Under those conditions, the CV-1 or CO-1 Ray mentions are absolutely worth your time to check out.
Also I got the specs mixed up. The CV's are F40-sized; -1 or -2 means sitka or adi top.
The CO's are F30 sized and the same choice in tops.
And final note, we've had the mixed reviews on build quality of both the refurbs and original builds so as far as I know one isn't more likely to be "better" than the other on the used market.
If you get one with a straight neck chances are it's gonna stay that way by now.
Also the bolt-on neck design means resets are cheap, if a little tricky (ask Ray).

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Under those conditions, the CV-1 or CO-1 Ray mentions are absolutely worth your time to check out.
Also I got the specs mixed up. The CV's are F40-sized; -1 or -2 means sitka or adi top.
The CO's are F30 sized and the same choice in tops.
And final note, we've had the mixed reviews on build quality of both the refurbs and original builds so as far as I know one isn't more likely to be "better" than the other on the used market.
If you get one with a straight neck chances are it's gonna stay that way by now.
Also the bolt-on neck design means resets are cheap, if a little tricky (ask Ray).

CV-1 = Sitka top , rosewood back and sides
Cv-2 = Adirondack top, maple back and sides

CO-1 Cedar top , Mahogany back and sides
CO-2 Adirondack top , Mahogany back and sides

Cv-2 and Co-2 sport Ebony bridge and fingerboards

The Cv-1 and Co-1 sport Madagascar rosewood fingerboard and bridge .

Some other upgrades on hardware but the wood is the important stuff lol .

Neck tricky ? It all depends on the guitars over all condition , is it just the neck or is the body messed up ? If both that’s the tricky part lol but I found it easy enough to rectify .

geoguy

Reaction score
My vote is for the GAD with a cutaway, though the price seems a bit high.

I like the more-ornate fret markers on that one, and I think that GAD instruments of that vintage had a bone nut & bone saddle (maybe someone else can confirm my recollection on the bone bits).

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not a fan of the 4 series, and while Ray digs his CV-1, it has too much bad history as a model to invest in.
I would have to say, the F4CE is not the same, quality-wise, as the D4, which is a full size dread. The D4 I had was a wonderful, no frills, guitar.

PittPastor

Reaction score
OK, first of all, I fixed the links -- though I doubt it matters much by now.

Secondly, thanks for all of the input.

Ray, you have me intrigued. Sending you a PM. Tho, I'm really picky about adding another guitar, and I don't want to pester you without knowing how it will turn out. I have returned two guitars to GC this past year within the 30 day window. Next week, I will returning my third. (Although, in my defense the second guitar was their fault -- they went in the warehouse and brought me out the wrong model, and I didn't see the label until I got it home.)

As far as investment, I don't have that kind of bank account. I buy 'em to play 'em. You've seen the ugly scar from my guitar's brush with a dogfight. A little character doesn't put me off. As long as it is solid and plays well.

As the saying goes: Scars are just tattoos with better stories...

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That link does NOT look like a CV-1 ! I know the GC listing says so, but I haven't seen them look like that. The pick guard is not a Guild shape. The body looks all mahogany. The CV-1 headstock should look like this:

adllzmugfsi74jujutgw.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That link does NOT look like a CV-1 ! I know the GC listing says so, but I haven't seen them look like that. The pick guard is not a Guild shape. The body looks all mahogany. The CV-1 headstock should look like this:

adllzmugfsi74jujutgw.jpg

Wonder if it’s a Gad of some sort it’s not a cv or co for sure .

PittPastor

Reaction score

[SARCASM] But, but, but... Guitar Center has all of their guitars checked by a "Vintage Expert." [/SARCASM]

Ha! That's why I came here first!

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Definitely not a CV-1. I think it's a GAD as there's no TRC cover. Maybe a GAD M-20?

I agree, but I think they call it an M-120, with an extra E at the end if it has a pickup. Not bad guitars, actually. But this seems a bit pricey for a used one.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, as far as what it's called, Dave, it depends on which GAD series is was. The "100" series guitars were a re-done version of the originals which were named GAD<modelname>

Anyway, I'm unsure about the model, but it's definitely a GAD.