How to clean pots on Guild Starfire II bass ?

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have fairly new Guild Starfire II bass w/Curtis Novak pickups. The pots are scratchy and need cleaning.
Wondering if anyone can guide me as to how to access them?
Much appreciated.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
At one point the advice was to pull the knob and spray contact cleaner around the shaft. Keep turning the shaft to spread the stuff around.

If this started out as a Newark Street bass I seem to recall a report from somewhere that said the pots were scratchy from the factory and upgrading worked when cleaning didn't.

I'm also really curious about your Knovaks. Did you get the Bisonic wind or the Dark Star wind or one of each?

I'm moving this to Bass - not because it doesn't belong in Tech, but because I expect more people will notice it there.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Deoxit is the pot cleaner of choice amongst amp and guitar techs.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've used Deoxit on my guitar pots and the hazard blinker switch on my 1995 Taurus. It worked well in both situations ! :)

Reaction score
At one point the advice was to pull the knob and spray contact cleaner around the shaft. Keep turning the shaft to spread the stuff around.

If this started out as a Newark Street bass I seem to recall a report from somewhere that said the pots were scratchy from the factory and upgrading worked when cleaning didn't.

I'm also really curious about your Knovaks. Did you get the Bisonic wind or the Dark Star wind or one of each?

I'm moving this to Bass - not because it doesn't belong in Tech, but because I expect more people will notice it there.

I have the bisonic wind from Curtis...love it

Reaction score
As far as popping the knobs off, whats the deal.....tops have removable caps or do they just pop off?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pop off. Look at them from the side and notice they are hat shaped. I either just pull straight up holding the "crown" or put something under the "brim" and pry. In that case whatever I do needs padding so it doesn't dent the wood on the top.