New US 'Lectrics in the works?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Matt Hegg, one of the Oxnard finishers, posted a pic of "US made" prototypes on Guild's FB page. Could there be a US T-Bird coming back? From the control cavities, it looks like they are abandoning the various slider switches of the original, and going with the stoptail NS version, as well as a Strat-ty single coil version.

23168036_10212969927794260_3380725227925684011_n.jpg

matsickma

Reaction score
Interesting...could they be prototypes designed and built in USA prior to Production in Korea?

So what is the body color they are trying to achieve? It looks like their was an initial black finish that was sanded down and a either a brown finish apply or the mahogany wood is showing through.

M

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Aren't those just S200s? Aside from the USedness of them, of course.

matsickma

Reaction score
The cavities look like the routing for the Hard Stop models.
I always wanted a TBird with 3 pickups and have been waiting for the day to customize one.

The current state of the body could accommodate a Hagstrom trem or a Guildsby...😆

M

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was wondering about the finish too.
I googled around and I guess the faux-weathered / faded grunge look is a happenin' thang.
I do kinda like it on these Martin Streetmasters until I start to think about
all the faux aged junk at World Market and Pier 1 and such :ambivalence:

From a UK Martin website:

"It’s not often that you see a distressed acoustic guitar but Martin have created these guitars with authentic marks as if they had been played for years."

Really? LOL

martin-streetmaster.jpg

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

I kind of like those, but I realize it is because my cats are brown ("sable") and the guitar finish reminds me of the way their coats change color with the light and as they stretch and move. Non-cat people can observe something similar with seals or otters, especially when their coats are wet.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono - cool reference, I can see it - we have a dachshund wth similar coloration!

I'm studying the photos of those Martins, wondering how they illuminated the sound holes
the way they did - would never look like that in any normal lighting conditions, yet it all looks so
natural in the photos... also makes me think the Guild protoytpes, properly photographed, could
look much better than they do.

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The finish that is currently on the Two S200's in the first photo of this thread may not be the final finish at all. In the world of classic car restorations and pretty much anything that is going to get a slick finish there is a stage called color sanding. The black paint is sprayed lightly over the surface and then by sanding with a very fine grit of sandpaper it reveals the high spots and low spots in the surface itself. After a few rounds of color sanding the high spots are sanded down and the low spots become even with everything else. This results in a laser straight surface that when sprayed with a high gloss finish won't have any waves reflected in the light. That is my take on the Black paint that seems to be spotted across the finish on both guitars.

Then again they could be trying to do a distressed thing which I think would take away from the craftsmanship of the builds but each to their own.

TX

merlin6666

Reaction score
I was wondering about the finish too.
I googled around and I guess the faux-weathered / faded grunge look is a happenin' thang.
I do kinda like it on these Martin Streetmasters until I start to think about
all the faux aged junk at World Market and Pier 1 and such :ambivalence:

I think that if I want an old looking guitar I buy an actual used guitar and also save a bundle. I pride myself that my mid-70s first "good" guitar still looks like new except for some darkening of the top and a small ding from collision with another player's headstock.

Anyway, for those distressed guitars it's not so much the colour of the finish but the spidering of the finish checking that counts ...

matsickma

Reaction score
Believe it or not I have a old vintage '63 or '64 in a state of refurb (for the last few years) that kind of looks like those prototype's!

Not sure how to post pictures these days so I haven't been posting pictures. Need a new hosting service...any recommendations?
M

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Imgur or Imageshack - I use both, they're excellent IME,
the only caveat I'd point out is that if you like adding html image
links in descriptions on ebay, Imgur won't allow that, Imageshack will.
Imageshack also seems somewhat more organized to me than Imgur in
terms of how it displays folder hierarchy and general navigation.

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure how to post pictures these days so I haven't been posting pictures. Need a new hosting service...any recommendations?
M
I have a Wordpress account; you can get one for free. You can upload media without even setting up a website and use that, which I do.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The finish that is currently on the Two S200's in the first photo of this thread may not be the final finish at all.
That's what I was thinking, except I thought possibly it was a method of enhancing the visibility of the grain under a transparent finish.