Headstock/neck ID question...

jedzep

Reaction score
I know I should be more astute about this stuff, but then again, that's why you geniuses are here.

I assumed the neck attached to my '69 F20 was a transplant based on the head stock shape, and then I saw this Ebay listing. Same head shape on mine. I can't include a photo since I dumped Photobucket.

Is there a delineating aspect or timeline to this shape and logo?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-GUILD...097280?hash=item1a36d54940:g:XLUAAOSwmo5Z1Al7

Wish I had some geetar money!

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to Hans Moust's Guild Guitar Book, the "center-raised," "domed," or "paddle" headstock shape (as opposed to the earlier "open book, or "lips" headstock and the later "snakehead" headstock) was found on most Guilds after 1964 (the snakehead was introduced ~1987). The Chesterfield logo appeared around 1957... the lined version persisted into the early 70s. Get a copy of Hans' book... it's a great resource!

A "center raised headstock" from 1971
104379123.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems plausible... but without pics hard for me to say. First question I would ask is "Does the headstock SN match that on the label?" (assuming there is a label)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No headstock SN, label AG 3036.
I don't think yours is the first 60s era Guild I have heard of w/o a headstock SN... but can't put my finger on where I have heard of it before. If you're curious and haven't done so already, I would suggest contacting/sending pics to LTg member Hans Moust. I would guess that he would be able to tell you more about your F-30 (and then share with the rest of us!)...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I know I should be more astute about this stuff, but then again, that's why you geniuses are here.

I assumed the neck attached to my '69 F20 was a transplant based on the head stock shape, and then I saw this Ebay listing. Same head shape on mine. I can't include a photo since I dumped Photobucket.

Is there a delineating aspect or timeline to this shape and logo?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-GUILD...097280?hash=item1a36d54940:g:XLUAAOSwmo5Z1Al7

Wish I had some geetar money!

the F-30 in the ebay add is 1966.

your F-20, AG 3036, is 1970. is the headstock faceplate overlay black, walnut/mahogany, or rosewood? is the Guild logo yellow, abalone/pearly, or black? does it have a chesterfield?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
no # on the back of the headstock is period correct for the M-20 during this merky mystical time in the Guild factory. One of those necks on a final "AG" F-20 from the same year, does not sound so crazy. 95-99 percent confidence, the neck is original.

jedzep

Reaction score
Black faceplate with pearly Guild inlay but no Chesterfield. Thanks! Working on joining photo share site suitable for dummies. Thought I could directly upload from my Windows 10 pic gallery but guess not.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Black faceplate with pearly Guild inlay but no Chesterfield. Thanks! Working on joining photo share site suitable for dummies. Thought I could directly upload from my Windows 10 pic gallery but guess not.

yeah, that does not make a ton of sense for F-20 at AG-3036, but would match the leftover M-20 neck theory well enough, especially at AG-3036-on the label only (as an F-20 at the finish line), would be my absurd logic...

can u please measure the depth of the body at its deepest point? (not including bridge, or strings etc)? should be between 3.75 and 4.25 inches. my guess is it is closer to 3.75, and yours was an M-20 with out a top, not an F-20 without a neck. That is also pretty late numbering for 1970 F-20, definitely could be a leftover parts creation. please tell me the back is maple?!?!

also i pmed u re: pics

Last edited:

swiveltung

Reaction score

Use Imgur, free, fast and easy.

jedzep

Reaction score
Ha ha. Well, the depth is pretty much 4.25 inches from outside surfaces top and back. I'll send pics of the back.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
sounds pretty standard for a 1970 F-20, body depth. the black headstock overlay with pearly logo and no serial number on the back, is a little squirrely, but close enough in DNA and time period to likely be original. tuners and truss rod cover are period correct, as is the earlier, thinner turtle shell binding, on both the top and back, which u sent me a great picture of, likely without realizing...and makes even more of a case for the OG neck...

I own a 1970 F-20 that was re-topped/re-refined/refretted/ (reset?) by Westerly Guild in 1980; as well as a 1962 M-20 that was re-finned by Tom "Fix it" Jacobs in 2016. also have a 1970 M-20 beater, original finish, whats left of it... they are the goods!!

Last edited:

jedzep

Reaction score
Good to know as I get in line for a reset. Thanks all, for your familiarity and expertise.

jedzep

Reaction score
Sidebar, and thanks again to Eric for putting my pics up, but it got me thinking about whether I'm over complicating or missing an ez way to add photos. I don't see any 'browse' or simple attachment option. Is it right in front of my eyes and I'm missing something, or do I need a photo sharing acct somewhere to move pics to LTG?

kostask

Reaction score
Going strictly from pictures, I would like to ask if the inside of the guitar has finish on it? From the pictures, it appears to, which would be considered a little unusual.

jedzep

Reaction score
Correct, but it's the result of a terrible over spray job. The entire top was caked with that polyurethane looking substance topped with a poorly cut pick guard. It's since been stripped and sanded in prep for an old school lacquer refin, ambering nicely from indirect light in the room.