Humidifier Time!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
ah, well, hanging my Br on a wall in a small home in Tucson AZ, I never not have a lifeguard in the sound hole, well, except when playing...:)

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Good reminder. I've started humidfying too. When the AC goes off and I turn the furnace on....the humidifiers come out. I miss summer already.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was thinking of posting the same reminder, Tom. Thanks! I have yet to do it, and yesterday my guitar room dropped into the low 40sRH. Today's warmer and rainy/humid, so not much of a problem, but the humidifier goes on this weekend.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the reminder! I've turned on the furnace but I haven't dampened my guitar humidifiers yet.

Joe, LOL, yeah you're not too likely to have low humidity where you live, eh? I heard you may have had some snow recently though!

gibsonjunkie

Reaction score
Guild Total
I need to humidify all year round (except for a bit in April/October) - Air Conditioning takes moisture out of the air, too. I run a large room humidifier in the music room and a whole House attached to the furnace.

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Observation:

I use an Oasis humidifier and a soap-dish/sponge in each of my cases; Oasis in sound hole, soap dish behind headstock. I had been using a hygrometer only in my D40 case, as I figured that with similar case construction the readings should be about the same for all.

Then I decided to splurge on an second hygrometer for my DV52 case (Way to go, big spender)!

Surprise - considerable difference: 48% in D40, 42% in DV52. Same Oasis/soap dish in each.

So, let's first check the basics… Put both hygrometers side-by-side in the same case. Readings were within 2%. OK, close enough. Possibly case construction? I then returned both hygrometers to their respective cases, placing each in the same exact location - under the strings, next to the bridge.

Readings now almost identical! So it seems that when the meters are on storage compartment as opposed to on the body there is a considerable difference in cases.

Verrry interesting. So, placement seems to be important. Where do you guys measure humidity (in case)?

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Running the a/c 75% of the year (at least) sucks moisture out of the air like crazy. My two whole house humidifiers run 24/7. This past month has given them a little break when we're neither heating or cooling, but it's still a bit dry. This morning the heat kicked in so now I have to order new humidifier wicks before it gets really cold here. 41 this morning.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
New to all this--Have a dehumidifier in a finished half basement and humidity stays at 60% plus or minus 2%. Is that a "no no" or "should be OK?"

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
New to all this--Have a dehumidifier in a finished half basement and humidity stays at 60% plus or minus 2%. Is that a "no no" or "should be OK?"

I recall that the recommended range is 40-50%. With no other data I would be inclined to dehumidify just a bit more or not store the guitars in the basement. If you are going to do it right, the humidity should be measured in the case. If you are lazy, like me, measuring the humidity in the room should be close enough but using a measurement from another room or floor is probably not helpful.