Did Guild ever make Nylon String Guitars that were NOT Classical?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Tom O

Reaction score
Guild Total
The early 4N and 5N models came with a Seymour Duncan Timber-line pickup installed and that's what mine has. I think it's kind of a cheapy that is inconsistent in volume across the strings when it's plugged in. I mic it for recording anyways and don't plan to use it live but it would work fine in a pinch. They did later change to a Fishman pickup in the 4N & 5Ns and perhaps that was an upgrade but I can't say for sure and I haven't seen any reviews either way.

The GN-5 was released later and came with a Fishman Sonitone installed.

Other than its pickup I'm really impressed with my GAD 4N. It's beautifully made and nicely finished. The neck has a comfortable satin finish. The action is just on the high side very similar to other classicals I've played. These Guilds have flat fretboards like other classicals too whereas some crossover guitars have radiused fretboards.

I used to see these come up for sale more often and they tended to sell cheaply, maybe in the $400 to $600 range but I haven't seen one for sale in a while now. They came with a pretty nice case too; an attractive grey tweed.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

I have a 5N that that the pickup removed. I think it is a B-grade since it has a new serial number sticker. Sounds great and the Padok back and sides are nice. Wish the neck was wider than 1 11/16. I got it used in that price range.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
fallacy that nylon strings are easier to play...they're pretty high tension...action usually higher...you're better off switching to silk and steel on a guitar you have and possibly tuning down a step, say to D standard.

With the wider fretboard you're going to have to drop your thumb lower on the back of the neck to be able to reach the wider string spacing and likely longer scale than you're accustomed to playing...suggest you go into a music store and try playing one to see for yourself.

Doyle can play any guitar, any scale...I've seen him do it...and I played his nylon string proto at NAMM...the fretboard was too wide for my hands...lovely instrument, tho.

Great comment. Thanks.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
First off I believe PP referred to it is as "NAD" in the original post so not going to let that one slip by.. :)

Secondly, I think the Godin Multiac fits this bill pretty nicely and is more cost-effective, but it is not a Guild so there is that..