Would you ever consider buying a "Modified Guild?"

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Their claim of changing the nut spacing to give more room on the same neck is all well and good, easily done. And that's when you'll start losing your high e string sliding off the fret. (Happens easier than on he low E string. That's why I always leave a little more room on the high side when I do my nuts.)

PittPastor

Reaction score
Their claim of changing the nut spacing to give more room on the same neck is all well and good, easily done. And that's when you'll start losing your high e string sliding off the fret. (Happens easier than on he low E string. That's why I always leave a little more room on the high side when I do my nuts.)

Funny you should say that. I bought (and returned) a MIM Martin a few weeks ago. 1 3/4" neck at the nut. Every time I fretted a D chord the E would want to slide off of the neck. Now, in fairness, I did change out the mediums it came with to lights. But, man that was frustrating. And one of the reasons I returned it. (The other reason was it was what started the hand pain. Haven't been right since!)

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks Rich -- two questions: 1) Did you injure your thumb by playing guitar? Or something else? 2) How long did you rest it?

I probably injured it trying to open a jar, such as fruit jam or something similar. Since I play the guitar a lot more than opening jars, the symptoms showed up while I played certain positions on the neck. The thumb tendon would 'grind' or 'snap' in when I moved my hand into certain positions on the neck. As long as I played with the thumb support, the tendon wouldn't complain. I think the brace helped me get over the hump in the healing process. Maybe for me it took about a month. Good luck!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do you play the classical? was always curious about those models .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is this not the same guy who sent out emails and commercials trying to sell his easy play guitars ? if so I've spoke with his son but I was not convinced on the product line easy play or not.
it was some years ago and vids could still be up Yup thats Him.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is this not the same guy who sent out emails and commercials trying to sell his easy play guitars ? if so I've spoke with his son but I was not convinced on the product line easy play or not.
it was some years ago and vids could still be up... Yup thats Him

Yup this is him too with the massive 1969 one-hit wonder:

Kinda sad what the mighty will resort to after a fall, eh?

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
then there's this

cant say I'm digging it and for the love of God man its just a set up !

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've read about his guitars for at least 10 years on the AGForum, and my opinion is that you are better off finding a local luthier and telling him what you want for action and string spread at both the nut and saddle. The guitars he marketed as Zagers, were all PAC rim models that he "Zagerized." I have a luthier friend who imports PAC rim guitars with his name on the headstock, then sets them up to his specs, probably the same as Zager without the 2525 name recognition. As to Zagerizing other guitars, YMMV, but I still think you're better off using a local luthier that you have established a relationship with. JMHO.
Brad

jmascis

Reaction score
I'd consider any guitar if I had it in hand and could test it out. I wouldn't buy a modified guitar over the internet (maybe if the price was so low you can't lose).

Pitt, why did you change your hand position after all those years? Don't buy into things like "this is the right way" being preached by some teachers. Yes, for classical guitar you generally want your thumb right in the back of the neck. Also, not all anatomy is the same. For example, my lady has VERY stiff fingers. Meanwhile, my thumbs are double-jointed and bend easily. So, you should stick with the method that wasn't causing pain. If you have pain, you should stop until it's long gone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey, don't knock it till you try it! :tongue-new:

I think Mick Fleetwood'd be inclined to agree.

10fleetwoodMacRumours201010-2.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
My DV-52 was customized with fret markers when I bought it.
A3f6vm4.jpg

I'm not sold on the "Zagerized" guitars though either.

Sorry for the veer, but that DV52 is gorgeous Dreadnut! Man that is the prettiest one I have seen for sure!