Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Import Guilds with short Scale and 1 3/4" nut

Import Guilds with short Scale and 1 3/4" nut

It appears that arthritis is starting to affect my playing.
    Some people are going to short scale 1 3/4" nut guitars to help with the problem.
    What does Guild offer in the import line that meet these specs?

I'm looking at imports for the cost savings.
    Happiness Is A New Set Of Strings
    Taylor Martin Guild

GAD30 had a 1.75-inch nut, but I think it was a long scale . . . sorry for your troubles.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

the Oxnard USA M-20 is short scale with 1.75 nut, u can check out the Asian version. I really like the satin varnish on the USA, especially the burst. The high gloss poly isnt for me, but a good one of those will sound the same or very close to USA. just not sure about the nut width

definitely worth trying one or both, for arthritis.

Not sure the wider nut will help, may hurt. I'm 70 with RA and can't deal with 1.75. But here is what I put together a while back on the Guild import Westerly series:

I used to have an M-120 from the GAD line that was 24.75" and 1 3/4". It was a cool guitar for the money. A little boxy.
    Neal

'53 "X-150" Redburst
    '54 X-200-S SB
    '71 F-20 NT ("Tonya")
    '71 D-25 BR
    '73 D-35 NT
    '81 D-212 SB

Others: '34 Martin 0-18K, '34 Martin 0-17, '74 Dobro Round-Neck Resonator (wood), '87 Dobro Square-Neck Resonator (wood), '04 Huss & Dalton TD-R, '07 Rockbridge Adi/Mahogany dreadnought, '14 Huss & Dalton DS Crossroads, Tele Partscaster.

I'm in no hurry to change over to short scale guitars yet.
    I have good and bad days with the pain when playing.
    Last night I played my D-55 and my Baritone at band practice for over 3 hours with no pain.

I love the tone and overall sound of Dred guitars.
    I will continue to play them for as long as I can.
    It would be interesting though to have a short scale 1 3/4" nut guitar to fall back on and see if it helps with the pain on bad days.
    It will probably also need to be a smaller and thinner box to help. That will kill the sound that I love though.
    Taylor Martin Guild

Tune down, Capo at the first fret and you have a shorter scale than the 24.75. :>)

I will give this a try.
    Looks like a smaller body may also be in order though.
    My shoulders are worse than my fingers.

Just got through playing my Dred 12 string for an hour.
    That was all that I could do before the pain was too much to keep playing.

I will spend some time at music stores and see if a smaller guitar will help with my pain.
    Not expecting much though.
    Taylor Martin Guild

I do have a dreadnaught I love. However, my smaller guitars get the use now. I love them too. Yes, It is a bit more comfortable on the smaller box. My little F20 Guild is a keeper for sure and wasn't very expensive. (1971) A recent acquisition of a '51 Gibson LG2 is a bit larger and it is a wonderful guitar. Wasn't very expensive either (CL find!) Both are very resonant. Both guitars were less than $1k. Playing a 12 string really kills my hands for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by swiveltung View Post
    I do have a dreadnaught I love. However, my smaller guitars get the use now. I love them too. Yes, It is a bit more comfortable on the smaller box. My little F20 Guild is a keeper for sure and wasn't very expensive. (1971) A recent acquisition of a '51 Gibson LG2 is a bit larger and it is a wonderful guitar. Wasn't very expensive either (CL find!) Both are very resonant. Both guitars were less than $1k. Playing a 12 string really kills my hands for sure.
    I like a smaller body for gigs. I stand and play and my Eastman dread gets a touch cumbersome after a couple of hours. My new F30 is going to see some serious stage time. OM's are super comfortable on stage for me. The Blueridge BR72 I had was perfect size wise. I am only 41 but starting to notice a need for comfort so I am feeling you guys.
    Guits:
    '12 Guild F30RCE New Hartford
    '15 Eastman E-6D Natural Dread w/ LB6 Installed
    '89 Strat MIJ Projectcaster Marvel's Daredevil "Devilcaster" w/ Might Mite Maple neck & '91 Fender American P/U's
    '16 Tele Partscaster w/ MIM Fender RW Neck & USA Seymour Duncan Bridge P/U
    '17 LTD EC-401QM Frankenpaul ( originally found in 3 pieces in a Guitar Center dumpster )

Amps / Pedals:
    Crate Palomino V32 US Made Class A tube amp
    Fender Champion 100 SS Combo