December 8

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thirty-seven years on, I still hate this day.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Such a terrible tragedy. He could have been amazing and he could have been ..... a lot of things but he was denied his "could have been" because some asshole decided he couldn't. This is why we need more help for the mentally ill here in the USA. Other countries don't have this much trouble do they? Oh wait.... Don't answer because that's political so...... just be sad. What a shame, you know? Thanks for posting, Jeff. I said my little zombie prayer earlier. I hope I'm not banned forever because of this..... if so, just delete my response and slap my wrists, okay?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I was 9. I remember exactly what i was doing when i heard the news.... then cried like a maniac. Crazy to think how long ago that was... how young i was.... and how well i remember. I can't remember what i ate for breakfast

Last edited:
Reaction score
A sad day indeed. I saw John perform his last full length concert at Madison Square Garden in late August 1972.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I read an article posted yesterday about this, and they spent just as much time talking about his killer. I HATE that. I try to never speak his name. Years ago, People magazine actually put him on the cover. Stupid. "Fame" is one if not the only reason these nut jobs do stuff like this, we should not give them that.

I prefer to celebrate his birth (10/9), but this thread is a good reminder of "what could have been". So crazy that one of the greatest promoters of peace died in such a way. IMHO, Lennon would not be happy with the state of the world today.

Tom, FWIW, I agree.

walrus

DrumBob

Reaction score
It's always a hard day for us. I used to take my daughters into Strawberry Fields for the annual nighttime celebration of John's music. We'd always go for pizza first at Patsy's, then walk down the block, past the Dakota, and into Central Park, where people gather to remember John, sing his songs and just celebrate his life. It was always a cool thing to do, until the Occupy Wall Streeters crashed it and screwed it up. I'd bring a tambourine and join in on percussion. My older daughter sang along to everything. We've stopped going, because now, she has a child to care for. When my grandson (who is named Lennon, BTW) gets older, we might start going back.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Had he not been killed, I feel he would have continued to be controversial.

He IS still controversial, around here at least, sometimes.
And it was 47 years ago today that I first heard him proclaim his disbelief in just about everything in "GOD":
https://www.beatlesbible.com/1970/12/11/album-release-john-lennon-plastic-ono-band/

As a high school freshman "Working Class Hero" was my mantra.
And still relevant 40 years on except now they can keep you doped with the internet on top of religion and sex and TV.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
He IS still controversial, around here at least, sometimes.
And it was 47 years ago today that I first heard him proclaim his disbelief in just about everything in "GOD":
https://www.beatlesbible.com/1970/12/11/album-release-john-lennon-plastic-ono-band/

As a high school freshman "Working Class Hero" was my mantra.
And still relevant 40 years on except now they can keep you doped with the internet on top of religion and sex and TV.

...and no warning labels on records then, so you brought that album home and he used the "F" word more than once on "Working Class Hero" - an acoustic ballad! Quite a shock! With the lyrics printed on the sleeve!

Ah, memories...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
...and no warning labels on records then, so you brought that album home and he used the "F" word more than once on "Working Class Hero" - an acoustic ballad! Quite a shock! With the lyrics printed on the sleeve!

Ah, memories...

walrus

Even played "Hero" on the AM station, and they didn't use beeps, just kind of blanked it for a split second, which basically came out sounding unedited anyway......:glee:

"Hate you if you're clever and despise a fool... 'til you're so f----in' crazy you can't follow their rules".
I already identified with him for "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Revolution" but that just kinda put it so far over the top it was like finally being vindicated for one's sense of alienation.
And then he had to go do "Imagine".
A nice warm fuzzy treacly piece of feel good pop sellout, to my ears.
Oh well.
His solo on "Walking On Thin Ice" lets us know he still knew how to give us some truth right up until the last moment.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
John Lennon was just a man, in that he was all of us. But he was also part of THE BEST songwriter/musician team of the 20th Century, if not several centuries. Such a tragedy for him to die at the hands of a freaking loser lunatic. Senseless and ironic.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Thank you, walrus. We always had fun going to Strawberry Fields, even though we froze our asses off occasionally. Yoko always had a candle or two burning in the window of her apartment in the Dakota. If you get to NYC, try the pizza at Patsy's. It's killer. Even the salad is amazing.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Thin Ice" is the one Yoko song I can listen to, and the guitar playing is the reason why.

walrus