F-112 questions

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
thanks Ralf, mine is the first vatiant for sure. among the last of them, from the sounds of it. and yes, 4.5 inches deep.

Br1ck

Reaction score
All I know is a friend's 77 F-112 is the finest sounding twelve string I've heard or played. Perfectly balanced with astounding clarity. He plays a lot of Kottke slide stuff on it. No mush here, though the larger bodies do have their own charm. For finger style, the F 112 is the bomb.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All I know is a friend's 77 F-112 is the finest sounding twelve string I've heard or played. Perfectly balanced with astounding clarity. He plays a lot of Kottke slide stuff on it. No mush here, though the larger bodies do have their own charm. For finger style, the F 112 is the bomb.

this is great to hear, thank u. i have one of these on my radar as well- I think it is the third variant but it might be the second (its a 1975 but looks big), hope to see it next week when i get back from Colorado, and also pick up the repaired 1970.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i did just acquire a second F-112, this one from 1975, from the original owner of 41.5 years, up until 2 hours ago, when he handed her over! he had the original receipt from Manny's Music in Manhattan from 8-7-76, and a polishing cloth. I really did not need a second one, but this one is in beautiful condition, and the back is gorgeous book matched mahogany, the center seam is so tight it looks like a one piece (its not though, of course).

im still not sure if it is the second or third variant F-112. I did not have a ruler and then had to drop it off at my storage unit. It just needs a cleaning and set up. its been in a closet for decades...and its going to be in storage for a few more weeks. ill probably get the 1970 back next week but other guitars need to go in before the 1976 112, so I should have both together next week- one all set up and ready to go, the other, not so much. maybe closer to the end of Feb. I may have both all ready to go. I will probably wind up selling this second one, and someone will get a killer 112 if/when I do. absolutely nothing has been touched on the guitar, its never been worked on, ever. definitely. the only thing not original is the strings. its been played, a little. very little. there is one small ding in the top. and some very minor finish chipping on the neck.

j4CJoK.jpg

rcyuvJ.jpg

mTtUdI.jpg

Z0NbPu.jpg

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Sweet Eric. I'm not much of a 12 string fan but did just pick up a '73 F 112. Nice shape but not as clean as yours. Anyway, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i just got back my 1970 F-112 rescue job, and boy did I rescue her just in time, drier than a popcorn fart and literally needed every brace and basically every other piece of wood on the guitar glued back together. finally, she is restored.

and wow. im not so surprised at how amazingly sweet this guitar sounds (although it did definitely crush any and all expectations), as much as I am stunned at how good I sound to my own ears- playing any guitar- and even moreso a 12-string! wow. straight to the top of the keeper pile with my F-20. I am only going to get the other F-112 set up out of curiosity, to compare it to this one. This one is perfect though, for me.

nfqTmE.png

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

i got the 1975 F-112 back and would concurr with the above statement. wow, just wow. will have a very, very, very difficult time parting with this one as planned...yiiikes!! It is also almost like a brand new guitar (the opposite of my 1970 F-112)...an easy 9 out of 10 condition.

also want to report this one is 15 1/4 inches wide at lower bout, and the depth at the *waist is 4 1/2 inches deep, however at the *lower bout the depth is 4 3/4 inches deep.*

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i got to get me one of these one day. I really like the old headstock on yours too.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mav, the original-owner F-112 looks to be in really good shape from the few pix. It's really great to get these things from their original owners. Congrats.

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Yeah, look what I did. :crazy:

ibSa2f.jpg

F112-6

It's a great little 6 string!

Joe

That is very cool, Joe! From one Louisiana boy to another...is there a thread on here about your conversion? This may be the answer to my dilemma. I love the 70's F-30 body shape, but don't like the nut width. If there is no thread, maybe we could correspond off forum? If someone else knows of a thread on this and can direct me to it, I would be very appreciative.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That is very cool, Joe! From one Louisiana boy to another...is there a thread on here about your conversion? This may be the answer to my dilemma. I love the 70's F-30 body shape, but don't like the nut width. If there is no thread, maybe we could correspond off forum? If someone else knows of a thread on this and can direct me to it, I would be very appreciative.

Having participated in the naming of that little beauty I still feel a godparent-type connection to it, but haven't been able to find the thread the last couple of times the question came up.
Even then, the last time I did find it all the pics had been hi-jacked for ransom by Photobucket.
But essentially it was simple in concept: plug the extra bridgepin and tuning machine holes and cut a new nut with appropriate spacing.
Yeah.
Simple in concept.
Joe knows his way around woodworking and it was still a marathon thread.
I probably forgot a couple of details too, but I'm sure Joe'll render the final comments.
Please, Joe?

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
Having participated in the naming of that little beauty I still feel a godparent-type connection to it, but haven't been able to find the thread the last couple of times the question came up.
Even then, the last time I did find it all the pics had been hi-jacked for ransom by Photobucket.
But essentially it was simple in concept: plug the extra bridgepin and tuning machine holes and cut a new nut with appropriate spacing.
Yeah.
Simple in concept.
Joe knows his way around woodworking and it was still a marathon thread.
I probably forgot a couple of details too, but I'm sure Joe'll render the final comments.
Please, Joe?

Yes, details please, Joe! 😀

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Mav, the original-owner F-112 looks to be in really good shape from the few pix. It's really great to get these things from their original owners. Congrats.

hey, thanks Chaz. I actually acquired both of my F-112's from original owners, and just also scored a super clean original case for the 1970 model. also the 1970 F-112 does not have wear and tear/playwear persay, and the neck and neck angle and frets and all are perfect- it just needed all the braces reglued and 2 top cracks cleated. not quite as clean as the 1975 F-112, but she is all there- especially with the case!

also the photos you commented on of the 1975 F-112 are from *before the set up and removal of 1/4 inch layer of dust...

try this one...

AqT0Qv.jpg

not too shabby, eh??

bayoubengal1954

Reaction score
hey, thanks Chaz. I actually acquired both of my F-112's from original owners, and just also scored a super clean original case for the 1970 model. also the 1970 F-112 does not have wear and tear/playwear persay, and the neck and neck angle and frets and all are perfect- it just needed all the braces reglued and 2 top cracks cleated. not quite as clean as the 1975 F-112, but she is all there- especially with the case!

also the photos you commented on of the 1975 F-112 are from *before the set up and removal of 1/4 inch layer of dust...

try this one...

AqT0Qv.jpg

not too shabby, eh??

Wow, those look great!