hired guns

dougdnh

Reaction score
just sw an interesting movie on Netflix last night - Hired Guns. It's a documentary about the mostly unknown hotshot musicians who are called in to backup mega stars in concerts and recording sessions. Most of it centered around Metal (which I'm not a fan of), but there were some interesting tidbits about Billy Joel - didn't realize he was not a nice guy. There is some amazing musicianship throughout the film.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh I hear Joel is a total jerk. Like Elton. I keep thinking if you are that famous, maybe you have to behave that way in order to keep the star going? I sure hope not. Plenty of humble stars out there I bet.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool I'll have to check it out! Session musicians keep the industry together IMO, and they rarely get any acknowledgment about that, at least from the public.

I read a quote somewhere from some session musician (I think) who basically said that if you're the biggest band in the world and your too stoned/drunk/stupid to pull off the solo in your own song, then he's going to be the one to step in and do it for you. Made me wonder how many of my favorite solos weren't even recorded by the guy who's name is on the record.

matsickma

Reaction score
The movie or documentary about the Wrecking Crew highlights some of the musical changes and contributions these group of session musicians added to many if the top hits of the day. Whenever I hear songs of of Eric Clapton early '70 album that had "After Midnight" and "Let it Rain", etc. I think of the former sessions musicians that began to be know as their own act after that album.
M

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I get it, about the respect level offered to session musicians. I'm a lecturer in my department at UVA, thus left out of most everything departmental, yet I teach more students than anyone else in the department, and am paid the least. Life ain't fair. Who said that? Probably some famous person.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Billy Joel is a great songwriter, musician, recording artist and singer...but a complete a$$ hole!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
all of the rumors and stereotypes you have ever heard about people from New York are true, if talking about Billy Joel

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I guess that hot Brinkley (sp???) lady got fed up with all that. I had never heard all this about BJ. Disheartening because I really do like his music. Saw him live once and he's a really good entertainer as well.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Including Paul "do you know who I am" Simon

yes Paul Simon i know who you are...the guy that stole an entire album from Los Lobos? One artist that I wish didn't play a Guild.

I don't think Billy Joel is genuinely a bad person, he has done some cool things. But, by far, his a$$ hole tactics far outweigh any of that. i think it is more his personality than the actual person. I am not talking about any of his business moves or personell/musician labor force. I do know, however, a couple decades ago a family member/manager stole a lot of his cash. like all of it. so, he acts swiftly now to get rid of people if he chooses to. One of my friends actually does some work for BJ and can't say enough good things about the guy (pretty sure he sails that ship alone around here though!). I think Billy has mellowed out in recent years. but with fame comes responsibility. we can all do better. he is no exception.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
yes Paul Simon i know who you are...the guy that stole an entire album from Los Lobos? One artist that I wish didn't play a Guild.

did he not pilfer or "repurpose" all that cool african music on Graceland too? I don't know, maybe he helped market it or get it out there, I mean is not all our tunes taken from others at some point in time? i dont fault him, really, it was a great album. i just hope he paid the musicians super well :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
On the other hand, Glen Campbell was one of the best, and most unpretentious, guitar players that ever walked this earth.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
.......... Plenty of humble stars out there I bet.

I remember being sound man at event where Barney Kessel was performing solo. He walks to me offering hand to shake and starts : "Hello - I am Barney Kessel ..." After the show he came to thank me . What a gentleman.

matsickma

Reaction score
Glen Campbell...a Wrecking Crew guy.
I can just kick myself for not seeing him in his last tour! He played the Sands Event Center in Bethlehem, PA a few months before hus passing. Heard his chops were dead on. His presence of mind was sadly less acute.
M

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whenever I hear songs of of Eric Clapton early '70 album that had "After Midnight" and "Let it Rain", etc. I think of the former sessions musicians that began to be know as their own act after that album.
M

Stephen Stills and Eric Clapton traded appearances on each other's first solo albums: Stills on Clapton's first solo album ("Let It Rain") , and vice-versa ("Go Back Home").