hired guns

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I watched that too, and it's pretty good. It highlights more modern hired guns for touring bands, rather than the studio guys. It's got its moments. I always enjoy hearing Phil X give advice.

Alan_M

Reaction score
I found Hired Guns fascinating. The musicianship is off the charts. As always with any rock and roll story, there are all sorts of shenanigans, both good and bad. I really enjoyed it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Stephen Stills and Eric Clapton traded appearances on each other's first solo albums: Stills on Clapton's first solo album ("Let It Rain") , and vice-versa ("Go Back Home").
This reminded me that some of the same people (Leon Russell, Jim Gordon, Carl Radle, Bonnie Bramlett) appeared on Dave Mason's Alone Together , another one of those forgotten gems I consider to be an altogether stronger album than Eric Clapton.
I still have a copy of AT, but I only ever bought the singles of "After Midnight", "Blues Power", and "Let It Rain" from Clapton.
I just noticed a name on the roster for Alone Together I don't remember seeing before or since, Michael DeTemple
That same core group that was on both those albums was on All Things Must Pass , too.
From "the usual source" linked above:
"Production began at London's Abbey Road Studios in May 1970, with extensive overdubbing and mixing continuing through October. Among the large cast of backing musicians were Eric Clapton and Delaney & Bonnie's Friends band – three of whom formed Derek and the Dominos with Clapton during the recording" (Whitlock, Radle, and Gordon)

Jim Keltner, who worked on Alone Together, went on to a long association with Harrison, and Lennon (and even played with Ringo), and was a Wilbury.
Of the Wrecking Crew, Leon Russell is the one besides Glenn Campbell that went on to have a distinct solo career.
Heck, even Bob Dylan wanted to tap into some of that west coast vibe with Watching the River Flow :
"For his next recording session, Dylan asked Leon Russell, who made his name with Joe Cocker,[11] to assist in finding a new sound.[12] Russell suggested that Dylan come with him to Blue Rock Studios in New York City to record some new material.[11][12]
The recording session took place on March 16–19, 1971.[13] Russell assembled a backing group that included Carl Radle on bass, Jesse Ed Davis on guitar, and Jim Keltner on drums."

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can remember putting Mr. Clapton's first album on the turntable, and staring at the cover photo, marveling at the state of Brownie's neck, and thinking, "that guy sure plays a lot."

yIejWDV.jpg