I got my '69-70 Thunderstar Combo back!

gilded

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got my old Thunderstar combo back last night and moved it into the house today. This is the 'little brother' of the Superstar Combo I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Guess how much 'little brother' weighs? 65lbs with the stamped-frame speaker!! I wonder how much more a Superstar weighs?

Has anyone tried anything besides the bottom of the line 12" speakers with this amp? Anybody put a JBL in? It's been four or five years since I've had the amp, but I remember that you could get it to sound like a 20 watt Marshall if that's what you wanted. Any body tried one with a Celestion?

I bought it because I thought it would be a good amp for Jazz. I was completely wrong about that, but I think they are really good for rock & blues.

What do you guys think? An inquiring mind wants to know!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m using the stock speaker in mine (and, yes, for rock only.) Haven’t felt a need to switch. (And it lives on its own dolly for rolling around school.)

gilded

Reaction score
Chris, is your dolly an original one? If it is, could you put some pics up?

What are you using for pickups? Humbuckers? Single Poles? Where are you setting the tone controls? Does the tremolo sound work for you?

Thanks, Harry

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, is your dolly an original one? If it is, could you put some pics up?
A plank of wood that I bolted on some wheels.
What are you using for pickups? Humbuckers? Single Poles? Where are you setting the tone controls?
I used all of the above when I did the Cheap Trick concert. Amp was set at 12 o’clock.

90723e96-e851-4f27-9e17-9c57be01396b.jpeg

Does the tremolo sound work for you?

Thanks, Harry
I rarely play with tremolo.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A plank of wood that I bolted on some wheels.

I used all of the above when I did the Cheap Trick concert. Amp was set at 12 o’clock.

90723e96-e851-4f27-9e17-9c57be01396b.jpeg

I rarely play with tremolo.

That's a cool pic!

matsickma

Reaction score
Definitely a rock amp.
Fantastic picture...Am I correct you have L to R Early 70's solidbody M75 Bluesbird, S275, Detonator, T250 (or 200) and Thunderbird along with the Thunderstar? Is the Thunderstar the only amp you had on stage?
M