What do you guys think of this '60s Guild Bass Cab at Reverb?

gilded

Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/7894365-vintage-1960s-guild-thunderstar-1x15-bass-cab-unloaded

I mentioned this cab in a another thread about my Superstar Combo, but I think this fairly rare cab deserves it's own thread.

I have no financial interest, but I have corresponded with the Seller and realize that he 'knows' these cabs; what speakers sound good for him, etc.

I know the usual amp posters (except for default; he's busy until the Xmas rush is over!) have already chimed in on the other thread that mentioned this cab, but there are a lot of guests here who read but don't write and I'd like to give them a chance to know that this cab is available.

Has any body here actually played through this model cab? Did you like the sound? What heads did you use? For instance, I'm down to one bass head, a '75-6 Ampeg V4b. I sure would like to know how one or two of these cabs sounds with an Ampeg!

Harry/gilded

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well it is gone. I have figured out how to see an expired eBay listing but that mojo does not work on Reverb. Doesn't matter since I have no recollection of playing through a Guild amp, cabinet or combo.

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a pair if these with JBL"s. One has a D140 and the other has a D or K130.
I usually use these as the low-end for a little PA system with a McCauley horn/lens on top.

I can hookup a Guild or Kustom head and play a Pilot or B302 thru the setup.

The cabs are portable which is a strong feature. However they are a little small with air volume so low end will be rolled off.

It will take me until the holiday break to dig these out and do the evaluation. So give me some advice on the setup you would like to hear.

One issue with bass is that the way it sounds in a small room verses in a bigger hall. Two totally different evaluations.

I had been considering removing the front grill and installing a vintage JBL small round plate horn lens and compression driver in the area where the Guild script logo resides. This would make the cabs more flexible for small PA, monitor or bass setup. The 15" speaker is mounted off to one side in these cabs to provide space for the Guild script logo.
I also have modified one of these cabs to mount 4-10's. However that cab has 4 guitar Jensen MOD speakers. Likely not able to function well for bass.

Give me some advice or recommendations and I'll do the evaluation.
M

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
One issue with bass is that the way it sounds in a small room verses in a bigger hall. Two totally different evaluations.

Wavelength for a low E is a bit over 27 feet. The size of the room definitely has an impact and the distance between the observer and the source makes a difference.

matsickma

Reaction score
Thanks Frono... I remember how folded horn cabinets, with the speaker mounted inside the cab, were impossible for our bass player to hear himself but at the back of the hall it sounded killer!
Antenna guys refer to this phenomenon as Near Field vs Far Field.
M

swiveltung

Reaction score
One negative is it is a shallow cab. As you can see by looking at almost any modern bass cab: Depth matters for low freqs. It's amazing how big a deep 1 x 10 or 2 x 10 bass cab can sound now days.