For Valerie Carter fans... like me.... she's the goddess RIP my dear...

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Her first album she worked with people that .... YIKES!! Jackson Browne and ..... EWAF.... Denise Williams and more..

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Her version of "Whistle Down the Wind" is absolutely gorgeous and haunting! The song "Face of Appalachia" is a favorite of mine. It was co-written by John Sebastian and Lowell George. After leaving the Loving Spoonful, John Sebastian was out in LA to record for Warner/Reprise in the early '70's. The record company teamed up the two singer/songwriters for a possible project together, but it never came to any fruition. At least they got a classic song out of it!

I worked up an arrangement of "Face of Appalachia" for acoustic guitar. There is a Bm7 to E11 chord change that I could never quite figure out... until I bought a John Sebastian songbook. :barbershop_quartet_

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It was co-written by John Sebastian and Lowell George. After leaving the Loving Spoonful, John Sebastian was out in LA to record for Warner/Reprise in the early '70's.
I'll be darned, there's a name from the foggy past.
For those who don't recognize Lowell George, think Little Feat, the band that gave us Dixie Chicken and thus the Dixie Chicks' name.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tom, I will admit to not knowing who Valerie was, but those are some beautiful songs...

walrus

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to take away from Valerie...damn, wish I knew about her sooner

John Sebastian played Fitchburg State College where my lovely and I went, twice (along with Martin Mull)...once was just after Face of Appalachia was released on his solo record...it was haunting.

Flash forward to about a year ago, we go to the Bull Run to see him, good show, catch him after and ask him to sign that album (I think I was one of seven people who bought it)...got a look like "What is this?" He did sign it, but with a "Who is this juicier?" kinda feel...

Disappointed :frown:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill it's a GREAT song.... whole lotta respect for JS but I honestly didn't know he wrote it until Valerie Carter came out with her first album in ... 77!! I stumbled across it at a record store and looked at the people playing on it!! Al McKay, Andrew Woolfolk, William Payne*, Bob Glaub, Charles Rainey*, Colin Cameron, David Campbell, Don Myrick, Ernest Watts*, Fred Tacket*, Fred White, George Bohannon*, Herb Pedersen, Jackson Browne, Jeff Porcaro, Jerry Peters, John Hall*, John Sebastian, Larry Dunn, Louis Satterfield, Lowell George, Mike Harris*, Mike Utley*, Oscar Brashear, Paul Barrere, Samuel Clayton*, Skip Scarborough, Tom Jans, Verdine White.....NOT TO MENTION, Denise Williams, and James Taylor!! I mean HOLY CRAP!! Although she'd sung for so many as a sweet little background singer. It was her best album.

Tiny little lady with a voice of an angel. But the drugs got to her and James Taylor paid to put her in rehab and apparently she did okay for a couple years and .... then she died. Sometimes this life is just too much for some people, you know. Sad thing. Love her voice!!

Why would JS have an attitude about signing an album. I'd be delighted that someone bought it, you know?

People are funny, amigo!!

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, walrus.... she never caught on solo.... just a few knew of her. She was like Rosemary Butler.... background singer extraordinaire!! Backed up so many legendary singers who really relied on her but she never caught on solo. Well, except for me and maybe 10 other people.... LOL!!

She did a KILLER job on Heartache. She and Lowell George tore it up with THIS crew!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Why would JS have an attitude about signing an album. I'd be delighted that someone bought it, you know?

Probably still hasn't recovered from the fall from the dizzying heights of the guest appearance on Married with Children.

Pq73T4p.jpg

California Brownie points if you can name everybody in that photo.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, that's Al Bundy in the front center, and Richie Havens to the right, Sebastian to the left. Looks like Peter Noone at top right?

Can I have a half point?

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, that's Al Bundy in the front center, and Richie Havens to the right, Sebastian to the left. Looks like Peter Noone at top right?

Can I have a half point?

walrus

Well at least I know you didn't cheat, and the 3 you got are correct, so, OK.
I'm actually kinda disappointed you missed the guy in the pink hat, though...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Top left - whoever it is, nice mullet!

Pink Hat - sort of blurry, looks like Beck (not Jeff!), but I know it's not.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is it Garth Algar?

Nah he wouldn'ta passed the minimum age requirement.
Am I gonna have to light a fire under you guys or what?
At least the guy behind Sebastian was enough of a man to name a group after himself, and the guy next to him knew how to get his kicks, too.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, purple coat - Mark Lindsey! Nice hint - don't know why, I always loved the song "Arizona".

I give up on Mullet and Pink Hat.

No one else playing? Still half a point up for grabs!

BTW, this is a major veer to end 2017...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah, purple coat - Mark Lindsey! Nice hint - don't know why, I always loved the song "Arizona".
You got the Mark Lindsey hint but not the other two?!?!
I give up on Mullet and Pink Hat.
Be a good name for a band if nothing else.
Theme music for a moonlight drive while you try to get your girlfriend to give you some lovin'.