about to buy a F-412 12str blonde (2010): question about the native pre amp

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
There is one other major issue currently affecting both the exportation and importation of guitars that no one has yet mentioned: CITES

Recommend that if the guitar you wish to buy has restricted woods in it's construction...and most of them do...it might be best to try and buy one that is already available in your country and not subject to the restrictions...

I understand it's a difficult decision that only you can make.

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Like Guild FS4612CE stated above, If it has restricted woods in the construction it will take probably 6 weeks to 6 months to get the CITES Export permits from the proper US agencies (US Fish and Wildlife) and the import permits from the proper Italian agency if you try to buy one in the USA and have it shipped to Italy. Those fees and that wait time would be added on top of any customs or import taxes on the instrument. If I recall correctly a 2010 Guild F412 has a Rosewood Bridge which falls under the blanket Rosewood Restrictions of the most recent CITES regulations.

Also I have found that since American Made Guilds are somewhat scarce in Europe they usually pull a premium when compared to prices here in the states. Right now if you find a nice F412 here in the states from the New Hartford plant (2009-2014) they are selling for between $1750-$2500 American Dollars depending on condition and if it has the Factory DTAR Mutisource pickup in it. European pricing can be much much higher for the same instrument by $1000 or more. If you really love the way the one you are looking at sounds and plays I would say to jump on it while you can, Then if something better comes along later on you can always sell this one but at least you are not left without one and looking to try to find one for a year or maybe even longer. If their asking price is $2000 American then make an offer a bit below and see if they bite, If not you will still be getting a good deal at asking price with the premium that American Made Guilds pull over there.

Best of Luck with whatever you decide and Personally I think the New Hartford made Guilds are some of the Finest Instruments ever made by Guild or Anyone.:encouragement:

TX

Last edited:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Hi Marco... and welcome to the LTG Forum. As you can see we are passionate about Guild guitars around here. Others have pointed out that the Guild F-412 is the "top of the line" maple Guild 12-string. And the quality and craftsmanship of the New Hartford guitars is second to none. Many people believe that Guild 12-string guitars are the best of any major manufacturer!

I would not worry about the sound of the electronics thru a PA. The most important thing is the acoustic sound and the playability. If these are pleasing to you... go ahead and buy the guitar. You can start another thread asking about recommendations for the best electronics. And you will get a lot of opinions!

Another point to consider is that you have this guitar "in hand". You know how it sounds & feels, and if it fits your style. With an instrument being shipped overseas from the States, you risk damage in transit. Believe me it happens!

Finally, once you get the appearance of the "pick wear" around the soundhole repaired, you could apply a clear, acrylic "golpeador" to just that section for future protection. Don't let someone else walk away with that guitar. ¡Buena suerte!

http://www.mundo-flamenco.com/en/infos/gluing-on-a-golpeador.html

treving

Reaction score
Ciao,

wow, I didn’t know there could be so many things to consider to import a guitar. Tomorrow morning I’ll go to the shop, I’ll be the very first one to get in and walk out the door heavier than some minutes before ;)
..and yes, later on I’ll open a new thread about the best option to amplify this guitar.

Have a nice day and once again thank you very much for supporting me!

ciao, marco

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Marco, for the record, the F-412 is not being produced yet in Oxnard, CA at the new facility. All you can buy is used at the moment.

$2000 does not sound excessive for the European market. In the US, that guitar would be a little overpriced, but it's very hard to give you accurate advice. Personally, I think that if you like the instrument, you should grab it. But, I'm a little biased. :)

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Congrats...enjoy...sorry I can't see the pictures...good old Photobucket doing it's thing...if someone was able to grab the pics, perhaps you can repost it here for the rest of us.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Those fees and that wait time would be added on top of any customs or import taxes on the instrument. If I recall correctly a 2010 Guild F412 has a Rosewood Bridge which falls under the blanket Rosewood Restrictions of the most recent CITES regulations.
The subject guitar is already in Europe. Also, a guitar built before the current rosewood regs went into effect in January of 2017 is considered "Pre-CITES" and exempt from permitting requirements, but would require acceptable proof of the build date to qualify for exemption.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The subject guitar is already in Europe. Also, a guitar built before the current rosewood regs went into effect in January of 2017 is considered "Pre-CITES" and exempt from permitting requirements, but would require acceptable proof of the build date to qualify for exemption.

Al, The part of my post that you copied is referring to buying a used Guild F412 here in the states and importing it to Italy in comparison to purchasing the subject guitar that he just purchased that is already in Italy. You would understand that if you read the entire post. Regardless of whether it is "Pre Cites" you are still going to have to wait for documentation and abide by any Italian Import regs and taxes.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Marco on a Great Guild. May you enjoy it for years to come!

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, The part of my post that you copied is referring to buying a used Guild F412 here in the states and importing it to Italy in comparison to purchasing the subject guitar that he just purchased that is already in Italy. You would understand that if you read the entire post. Regardless of whether it is "Pre Cites" you are still going to have to wait for documentation and abide by any Italian Import regs and taxes.

TX
I did read the whole post.
At least I don't misquote you and use it as the basis of ridicule.
For those who might be wonderin' what I'm talking 'bout, see post #32, here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...on-the-G312th-day-of-Christmas&highlight=m450
It was nice knowin' y'all.
Most of you, anyway.
Bite me TX, I don't need your horse**** anymore.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I did read the whole post.
At least I don't misquote you and use it as the basis of ridicule.
For those who might be wonderin' what I'm talking 'bout, see post #32, here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...on-the-G312th-day-of-Christmas&highlight=m450
It was nice knowin' y'all.
Most of you, anyway.
Bite me TX, I don't need your horse**** anymore.

Truthfully Al Post #25 in the previous link you posted was posted in a jokingly manner because honestly I did not know that they used Medium gauge strings at Westerly. There is even a "LOL" in the post. It was not intended as a shot at you. Sorry you took it that way.

TX

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ciao Marco, Buon Natale!
The shown control knobs in white do not look like original Guild parts. So I believe the guitar has an aftermarket pickup system installed. The white control plate looks like a LR Baggs Anthem acoustic pickup installed.
Ralf

You beat me to the Italian Christmas greeting Ralf! :) Welcome Marco! I agree with Ralf here. Again that wouldn't hold me back from picking it up.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Late to the party as always and didn't read the last posts! Congrats sir!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Truthfully Al Post #25 in the previous link you posted was posted in a jokingly manner because honestly I did not know that they used Medium gauge strings at Westerly. There is even a "LOL" in the post. It was not intended as a shot at you. Sorry you took it that way.

TX

Let's just say I embraced my inner dark side, and retreat to our corners.
I'm gonna hold on to my 2x4, though.
Sometimes the inner dark side is right.
:eek:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Let's just say I embraced my inner dark side, and retreat to our corners.
I'm gonna hold on to my 2x4, though.
Sometimes the inner dark side is right.
:eek:

Regardless of what you embraced or are gonna hold on to I don't think a New Member's First New Guitar Day thread is the place to hash this out. On that note let me say Marco I sincerely apologize for this kind of posting in your F412 thread and I hope you enjoy your first Guild 12 string for a long time to come!

TX