Now that's a Christmas decoration!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Gotta love an ebony fretboard.... among other things!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I'm impressed by the Guild Guitar, the Fender Showman Amp and the Christmas Tree lights. But what I'm REALLY impressed with is that chord he's playing. What heck is that? Question asked by a player of cowboy chords mostly. :biggrin-new:

MLBob

Reaction score
I'm impressed by the Guild Guitar, the Fender Showman Amp and the Christmas Tree lights. But what I'm REALLY impressed with is that chord he's playing. What heck is that? Question asked by a player of cowboy chords mostly. :biggrin-new:

OK, you asked so I asked my buddy. Tells me that the Showman amp is a '65 purchased from original owner in CA.
Here's what my buddy had to say about the chord: ..."its a type of C Maj 13 that gives me an extended C 6/9 sound." Uh huh; and that's why he's a session player and I'm not :confusion::confusion::confusion::rolleyes:

Merry Christmas!

Bob

sailingshoes72

Reaction score

Here's what my buddy had to say about the chord: ..."its a type of C Maj 13 that gives me an extended C 6/9 sound."

Thanks Bob! That's exactly what I thought it was when I first saw it. LOL :boxing:

That is a clean looking BF Fender Showman! Isn't that a lot of power for Christmas Carols?

idealassets

Reaction score
OK, I can picture a jazz version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas being played to accompany this image. And not to forget the Jingle Bells jazz version intro.

MLBob

Reaction score
OK, I can picture a jazz version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas being played to accompany this image. And not to forget the Jingle Bells jazz version intro.

Funny you should mention that. He sent the family a Christmas MP4 file that closed with a jazz version of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, but threw in the Jingle Bells riff as an outro :snowman:

Bob

Jerry1

Reaction score
Is the Guild a T-50? I think it is but hard to tell for sure if it's new or vintage. For what was once considered an entry level guitar, they sure are nice.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I got on him about those!! :rolleyes: His reply was that they're Grey, but that the "Elvis rule" still applies. :laughing:

Hey Bob! I gotta ask... what is the "Elvis rule"??? Note: I am a big-time fan of Elvis Presley... the "Sun Records" Elvis with Scotty Moore. The "White Jumpsuit, Las Vegas" Elvis... not so much! :eek:nthego:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bob! I gotta ask... what is the "Elvis rule"??? Note: I am a big-time fan of Elvis Presley... the "Sun Records" Elvis with Scotty Moore. The "White Jumpsuit, Las Vegas" Elvis... not so much! :eek:nthego:

My guess is that the rule is that suede shoes should not be stepped on, regardless of color, but I await the answer as well.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My guess is that the rule is that suede shoes should not be stepped on, regardless of color, but I await the answer as well.

Shouldn't that be the "Perkins rule"? (From "the usual source"):

" 'Blue Suede Shoes' is a rock-and-roll standard written and first recorded by Carl Perkins in 1955."
BTW the story about how the song got written is wonderful.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
How can you tell that fretboard is ebony? Not doubting you, just curious.

That fretboard sure doesn't look like ebony to me. AFAIK, only the X500/700 and SFVI had them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That fretboard sure doesn't look like ebony to me. AFAIK, only the X500/700 and SFVI had them.

Actually it didn't to me either. On a nice new 20" LCD display the part under the E-A-D strings up to the 7th fret are pretty clearly much lighter than the rest of the board and sure look like rosewood to me too.
I could see that'd be easy to miss on a small display but the rest of the board looks darker, (trick of the light?), and I can see how it could be mistaken for ebony.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score

Of course! How could I have overlooked such an obvious answer. :stupid:

I may be in danger of having my membership in the Elvis Presley Fan Club revoked for that mistake.

Last edited: