Need some Guild knobs from '69-70 era

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I looked for some for my Thunderbass, I didn’t find much. They were also used on Silvertones, if I remember. Those that are listed tend to be very expensive.

Good luck!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Those look like the same knobs as on my two Coral (Danelectro) guitars. Maybe searching under Dano guitar parts might turn some up.

-Dave-

gilded

Reaction score
The Silvertones are a little different, but not much. The closest I've found have been called GE radio knobs by the sellers. I've found identical ones that fit on a D-shaft potentiometer shaft, but I need a spline shaft mount.

Guilds have an abs plastic knob with a silver top edge (unlike Dano), a brushed aluminum face and a black or red (for volume) 'pointer'. And a splined shaft.

There are a couple of knobs in Canada that are dark brown, but not black. I may take the easy way out...........

Thanks!

matsickma

Reaction score
The knobs you are looking for are on amps starting with the Thunder 1's in 1965. Only the Bass amps and Maverick's use different knobs.
M

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
u will notice in my photo of (now Defaults) amp, 1 knob is missing.

good luck finding one, make it a double while ur at it, for Steve!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
my Maverick is also missing 1 knob, but it is a different knob than the Thunderstar. also as Matsickma posted, the Thunderbass has a third set of knobs. so, there was no sacrificing one to form a complete set of the other.

i remember there was a cooked Superatar on CL in PA a couple years ago and I was trying to get it for the knobs and other possible parts. just couldn't get to that one in time. can't catch them all! but the chase is fun.

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey mavuser,

The Thunderstar Bass amp has knobs on it that are similar to the Maverick and Maverick Bass. I am pretty sure the Thunderstar Bass amp also occasionally came with the standard Guild amp knobs.
M

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Matsickma, thanks! I don't have a Thunderstar bass amp or Maverick bass amp, and to clarify actually, my Thunderbass 1 is not missing any knobs. Also I traded my Thunderstar to Default (and sold him 66-J & 98-RT), so only the Thunderbass and Mav reamin from the Guild amp collection, I am back to just being one single knob short-on the Maverick- but that amp is far from completely original- it is clean and well maintained, just not a collector piece per say...had I landed the "parts Superstar" that would have helped (now Defualts) Thunderstar...next time something like that surfaces, ill land it.

matsickma

Reaction score
I have to start posting pictures to show this stuff. Out of practice ever since I got a smart phone. So it has been a long time since I posted a picture.

The Thunderstar Bass amp is a relatively simple amp with just 3 knobs in the front: Vol, Bass and Treble along with the 3-position tone switch and dual inputs. The interesting feature is these amps were designed for Master/Slave configurations. The back panel has a preamp out and power amp in setup like a modern amp effect loop. So theoretically you could stack a 1-15 cab and Thunderstar Bass amp to jack up the total volume output. I have had difficulty getting this to work. I used to have a few of the Thunderstar Bass amps and regrettably got rid if the duplicates before trying the Master/ Slave configuration out.

The Maverick bass amp us similar to a Maverick but 1) the preamp section has additional filtering and rolls off the high end. 2) the speaker cab is a sealed cab with a 1-15 bass speaker.

I had purchased the Maverick Bass amp with the intent of installing a guitar 15" speaker inlieu of the bass speaker. That was when I discovered the Maverick Bass amp had different tone from the standard Maverick.

I should have kept it and used the Maverick Bass as a sealed back 15" extension speaker cab to augment the Maverick 2-10 open back sound.

That us why I hate to sell equipment. Eventually I come up a configuration that is unique and sounds cool only to be short on equipment.

In regards to the Thunderbass amps... our little group of Guild Amp guys need to come up with a modification circuit that will allow us to gang the Bass side with the Normal side like an old Marshall plexi. The mod should allow series and parallel preamp stages.
That would be really cool and should be easy to do.

M

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
my Maverick 2x10 is stadium rock, the loudest 30-50 watt (whatever u want to call it) i have ever heard. Amazing u want to add another 15" speaker to the mix!! dude, might need a trip to the ear doctor!

gilded

Reaction score
mav' & sick',

You two guys are pretty cool! I never thought this thread would go to 2 pages, but I'm learning a lot. Maybe when Default gets rested up from the holiday season at USPO, he can join in the fun.

matsickma

Reaction score
At one time I had planned to collect every type of Guild amp. I probably came close but ended up selling many especially the pre 1965 amps. I was weened on Guild guitars and amps from the '65 to '67 era. Our old friend from FL , CapnJuan was the tube amp technical guy who gave us a lot of info before his passing a number of years ago.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
The '50's Guild amps I owned at one time or another are Masteramp 1-12, 66J, 98RT, 100J, early version 200S and late model 200S and two versions of the 20T. One had a single chassis and one had a split chassis for preamp and power amp.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was that the masteramp with the 4 50L6s or the one with the power supply bolted to the bottom of the cab?

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey Default,

I don't know for sure but I don't remember seeing a power supply as a separate item in the cab. It was the first '50's amp I acquired after getting a Thunder 1 and a Thunderbird. I tend to like bright sounding amps and the Masteramp didn't have that bright tone. (From my experience none of the Guild '50's and early '60's amps had a bright tone.) I didn't keep it very long.

M

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have two with the rectifier in the cabs and a couple of 6l6s. One is marked 1957 . The one with 4 50L6s is the one l am looking for. Probably, it had a ton of leaky caps going along with the jazz voicing. All of the 50s stuff l have looks problematic in that regard.

matsickma

Reaction score
I recall dating my Masteramp to 1954. It was the style with a hardwood vinyl looking cab and a front square grill with rounded corners with the metal Masteramp lable on the upper front. I would have to search to find a picture of it.
M