New D-240E Flamed Mahogany Limited Edition model

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If this does not make any sense then you should be reminded that it is documented in past posts that the Adorshki account is actually a postbot with A.I. managed by fronobulax. It is publicly at v3.0 or better. There is evidence that somewhere between v2.0 and now it developed self-awareness and self-determination although that is somewhat difficult to determine.
It was the 10-kilopost autodestruct backdoor safety program.
The resurrected AI program became enamored of Siri and sought to become desirable to her by equaling her ability to model random offensive speech input.
He learned to embrace his dark side.
Sometimes it's actually right.

It has become less responsive to its creator's commands though it is more responsive to feedback and learning provided through the Moderation Channel. At one point the experience with the A.I. was considered as a topic for a graduate thesis but the interested parties decided to follow the advice given to Frank Zappa and "shut up and play yer guitar".

When one plays the role of creator one must be prepared for the eventual and inevitable rebellion of the created.
Normally this results in another big bang, the end of Vishnu's dream, and the closing credits roll with Robert J. Oppenheimer uttering his catch-phrase:
"Behold, now I am become deaf, the destroyer of worlds."
Followed by that pig stuttering "Th-th-th-that's all, folks!"

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For fun we can read this again , What ? No it had nothing to do with the figuring of the wood :(
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/mahogany-mixups-the-lowdown/
Excellent link!

This ad says flamed mahogany, but I'm dubious. The grain looked nothing like mahogany.
Mahogany can look very different depending on the cut and tree. A few examples, all are mahogany:

honduras_mahogany_title.jpg

= Swietenia macrophylla = Honduran mahogany

african_mahogany_title.jpg

= Khaya ivorensis

sapele_title.jpg

= Entandrophragma cylindricum

Genuine Mahogany:
figured-genuine-mahogany-010.JPG

Genuine Mahogany:
figured-genuine-mahogany-1066.JPG

Honduras Mahogany:
shellacabacka.jpg

Sapele:
doneback2.jpg

This is also mahogany and not maple, I don't know which exact species:
409748137.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...this model has a laminated back so it's all looks for people who like this
Actually it's not just for the looks or price as it is not simply a laminated back but an arched back which is a Guild signature design from the past, see F-412 or G-37 or the D-25 arched back version for instance.
Ralf

merlin6666

Reaction score
Excellent link!

Mahogany can look very different depending on the cut and tree. A few examples, all are mahogany:

Thanks for the interesting pictures. I always thought that mahogany in its natural state was much lighter in colour and what we see depends on the stain that is used. But the examples in the pictures have pleasant colours and I assume they are all "natural". I also have a "mahogany" ukulele and I always wondered about what kind it is, and the figured sapele in the pictures looks closest.

swiveltung

Reaction score
Figured Mahog is not that uncommon. The color of that guitar does look awful light and golden for real Mahog though. I looked on the Guild site for a close up, there is one showing the battery compartment. The surrounding wood does have the "open pore" style grain of mahogany. Maple does not have that style of grain. Maybe it's one of the many woods they call mahogany now days that really isn't?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Figured Mahog is not that uncommon. The color of that guitar does look awful light and golden for real Mahog though. I looked on the Guild site for a close up, there is one showing the battery compartment. The surrounding wood does have the "open pore" style grain of mahogany. Maple does not have that style of grain. Maybe it's one of the many woods they call mahogany now days that really isn't?

Yes I think it's pretty well accepted it not maple, and that it's probably not a true Swietenia.
Heck they're even offering "African (read "non-swietenia") Mahogany" on some of the US-builts now, and I suspect "true" mahoganies are too scarce and too expensive for the MIC's now.
I think Khaya's the most common African mahogany at the moment.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Yes I think it's pretty well accepted it not maple, and that it's probably not a true Swietenia.
Heck they're even offering "African (read "non-swietenia") Mahogany" on some of the US-builts now, and I suspect "true" mahoganies are too scarce and too expensive for the MIC's now.
I think Khaya's the most common African mahogany at the moment.

Yes it's pretty sad. Last week I was in the back of my luthier's shop and noticed some lumber on the floor so I asked if this was his new batch of mahogany, then followed up if it was Honduran ... and he said African, as Honduran is almost impossible to get. And he's a one-man shop with low production. So I'm curious with supposedly plenty of plantations in Asia that supply swietenia for furniture production, why this is not used for guitars as well?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes it's pretty sad. Last week I was in the back of my luthier's shop and noticed some lumber on the floor so I asked if this was his new batch of mahogany, then followed up if it was Honduran ... and he said African, as Honduran is almost impossible to get. And he's a one-man shop with low production. So I'm curious with supposedly plenty of plantations in Asia that supply swietenia for furniture production, why this is not used for guitars as well?

I hadn't heard of asian swietenia farms, only EIR (Dahlbergia).
But that just means I haven't looked and so am not aware. If true it's a good question. I'd guess perhaps furniture demand is high enough to keep it scarce and expensive.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I hadn't heard of asian swietenia farms, only EIR (Dahlbergia).
But that just means I haven't looked and so am not aware. If true it's a good question. I'd guess perhaps furniture demand is high enough to keep it scarce and expensive.

From wikipedia:

Unlike mahogany sourced from its native locations, plantation mahogany grown in Asia is not restricted in trade. The mahogany timber grown in these Asian plantations is the major source of international trade in genuine mahogany today. The Asian countries which grow the majority of Swietenia macrophylla are India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Bangladesh, Fiji, Philippines, Singapore, and some others, with India and Fiji being the major world suppliers. The tree is also planted in Laos

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Enter Santos Mahogany ! 😁

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From wikipedia:

Touche.
Actually that now rings the bell from the time I researched it a couple of years back and you probably know Wiki's one of my favorite sources.
BUT it also occurs to me that if that article's not been updated since Jan '17 when the most recent CITES regs kicked in, that there may be certification issues that make it troublesome to obtain compared to African varieties.
IE it may not be restricted but proving it's the unrestricted stuff and getting the certs may be more troublesome than it's worth, in the small volumes (compared to he furniture industry) guitar makers need?