New Guild Jetstar

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Product News

The Return of a Legendary Guild Design at Affordable Price

12/20/2017

Santa Monica, CA – After over a year of development, the Guild Jetstar is back! Available in three exciting finishes (Black, White and Seafoam Green), the newly reintroduced Jetstar embodies the ultimate retro vibe with a unique body shape that’s been off the grid since the 1960s. In terms of style, this reissue remains faithful to the first iteration of the S-50 Jetstar with a solid mahogany body and set neck. Further period-correct details include six inline tuning machines and Guild’s rare pearloid pyramid logo on a scroll-shaped headstock. The Jetstar features a shallow C shape mahogany neck and pao ferro fingerboard with simple pearloid fret markers. Instead of its original shortened neck, this modified Jetstar has a 25 1/2” scale length for faster feel and improved response. Dual Guild LB-1 Little Bucker pickups bring a usable array of tones from sparkly clean single coil-esque spank to thick and warm humbucker sounds that fatten and sing when driven. Comes inside a Guild deluxe padded gig bag.

Jetstar Black - $599.99 Street • $840 MSRP

Jetstar Vintage White - $599.99 Street • $840 MSRP

Jetstar Seafoam Green - $599.99 Street • $840 MSRP

1625740893357.png
Source: https://www.guitarinteractivemagazi...a-legendary-guild-design-at-affordable-price/

So no Hagström tremolo and no single pickup version (as they had shown during development one year ago).

Ralf

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh why did they use the 6 on a side headstock?!? They already had the T-Bird headstock template made, they should have used it for the early versions. So much nicer.

I guess I’m not their target customer, because it seems that every decision they make is a red flag for me.

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes. Both the assymetrical headstock and the reversed Fenderish headstock are cool. I have Polaras of both headstocks and they say Guild to me!

Unfortunately I don't think I will have much interest in these Jetstars. Jetstars and Polaras from the '60's are single coil guitars. No interest in a minibucker model. Also, why are the calling this a Jetstar? Why not Polara?
M

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Also, why are the calling this a Jetstar? Why not Polara?
I guess in order to not confuse it with this body shape of todays S-100 Polara: http://guildguitars.com/g/s-100-polara/

The vintage Polara S-100 with the 6 in line headstock had a 2 tone 2 volume layout (as below and also in the 60ies catalog page) and a different style pickguard versus the Jetstar style with only one tone and one volume.

3307587277_9c75f7db3f_o.jpg
1966sbe.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
That red late model S100 Polara is a beauty. I had a 3 tone Sunburst model that I from a friend and refinished to natural while in college 😖 which I still have, a well worn black refinished one I picked up in 2017 and a stock vintage 2 tone sunburst one that is stock. The difference between the late model and early model are 1) the change if pickups from the small soapbar pups to mickey mouse pups and most significantly 2) changing the controls to have functionality like a Thunderbird via the single slide switch and Master Vol and Tone switch instead of individual vol/tone controls for each pickup.
M

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The longer scale should add some snap to the new Jetstar's sound. The only 25.5" scale guitar I own with HBs is a '78 Tele Thinline with Seth Lover's Wide Range-ers. Despite the WRs being pretty hot with plenty o' mids they can really cut too. Even the neck pickup has a nice sting to it.

-Dave-

DrumBob

Reaction score
I have contacted Cordoba in hopes of getting one for review. I like the headstock. We'll see what happens.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Good news. I heard from Cordoba today, and after the dust settles after NAMM, they are sending a new Jetstar for review.

Maxer

Reaction score
I like the looks of these and dig the headstock too. Would love to check it out and I'm intrigued by the scale - not something I'm used to for a set neck guitar. Not a fan of tort pickguards so I guess it's the seafoam version for me.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Nice! Perks of working for a real magazine?

That's right. I can't do a review without the merchandise. I usually have the option to buy the instruments. Sometimes, I do, most times not!

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I like it. I love that goofy headstock, it's an odball classic. I've been very impressed with the quality, setup tones and relatively light weight of the T-Birds they're doing, and these are going to be even cheaper. I understand the pickup choice - retooling for something vintage correct and authentic would cost a lot of money, and it's not like either type single coil that originally came on these was spectacular or has a lot of fans.

Think of it as a fun, cheap alternative to something like a Gibson SG, it's in the same ballpark, and I prefer this. Not crazy about the cheap faux-tort looking pickguards either, but that can be fixed.

DrumBob

Reaction score
Cordoba is shipping me the new Jet Star Friday. You'll see the review soon in Vintage Guitar.

matsickma

Reaction score
Yes. That headstock is pretty cool. It always reminded me to look like a reversed Fender headstock or a less shaped Gibson Firebird headstock.
M

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I like the headstock. It reminds me some of the old Japanese guitars.