Help! Guild EL 2389 - Value etc....

Reaction score
Hi all -
I uncovered an old Guild with the following Serial Number "EL-2389" it is hand written on the tag, inside the guitar, as well as the model "SF-IV".
I am having trouble finding information on the serial number for exact dating and value of the guitar -
It is in good condition, has the normal scratches wear/tear you would expect on an instrument that has been played - - any help is greatly appreciated!
Thank You in advance -

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looks to me late ‘69 but since the published charts are often wrong and that numbers not even in the list we’ll need Hans to give the only correct answer.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
According to the charts in the book the serial number EL-2389 would be for an early 1970 Starfire IV. I believe they carried the 2 letter prefix serial numbers for some time into 1970 and the switch to the 5 digit serial numbers was made during the 1970 year. That is why the serial number EL-2389 doesn't show up on any charts as they only show the last serial number for the year listed. Hope that helps and I agree that Hans would be the final word on verifying the serial number.

TX

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe they carried the 2 letter prefix serial numbers for some time into 1970 and the switch to the 5 digit serial numbers was made during the 1970 year.
That's exactly what Hans wrote about in his book on page 47 where the 1969 & 1970 serial numbers are shown, so yes, EL 2389 is a 1970 Starfire IV.

Ralf

Last edited:

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi all -
I uncovered an old Guild with the following Serial Number "EL-2389" it is hand written on the tag, inside the guitar, as well as the model "SF-IV".
I am having trouble finding information on the serial number for exact dating and value of the guitar

Hello clariziomusic,

Welcome!
That would be a Starfire IV from 1970. This is the period that a few Starfire IVs were done with DeArmond pickups. I'm curious to know if your guitar is one of those cause it will have an influence on the current value!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

matsickma

Reaction score
Wow...the possibility of a Starfire 4 with DeArmonds!
I think a Semihollow with DeArmonds would be great sounding.

I had thought of buying a used NS Starfire semihollow and modifying it with DeArmonds. I just don't like the floating bridge on the semihollow guitars. I guess I could install a fixed bridge but that was more work to do. The mini humbuckers and DeArmonds are pretty close in dimensions so can be swapped out relatively easily. Height adjustment between the two pickup types tends to be the issue.

Anyway...finding a DeArmond pup loaded Starfire 4 would be pretty exciting!
M

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That would be a Starfire IV from 1970. This is the period that a few Starfire IVs were done with DeArmond pickups.

Well, here it is and indeed it was!

SFIVCh_DeArmonds.jpg

See also 'The Guild Guitar Book' page 89.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
It's interesting to see that those pickup surrounds came from the factory, Hans. Is the harp tailpiece textured, or is that just a reflection in the chrome?

matsickma

Reaction score
Hi Hans,

Ate the DeArmond pups screwed to the guitar body or are they attached to the black surround plate? It looks like they are attached to the black pickup surround plate.

I think its time to try and make a few of these.
M

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are the DeArmond pups screwed to the guitar body or are they attached to the black surround plate? It looks like they are attached to the black pickup surround plate.
Good question: Have a look here and scroll down to where Hans answers his own question, that was another interesting way to hide the real mounting in a M-75: http://gretschpages.com/forum/pickups/dearmond-model-2000-question/55157/page1/
Let's see what Hans can tell about the Starfire monting.
Ralf

Last edited:

DThomasC

Reaction score
DeArmonds with height adjustable mounting rings does seem like it should be a thing, doesn't it?

TV Jones offers T-Armonds with the same outline as Filtertrons and their "English Mount." They offer mounting rings, but it turns out that the Filtertron size will fit into a Guild Minihum mounting ring with very slight modification.

I have not had the opportunity to try real DeArmonds / Dynasonics, but I have T-Armonds in two guitars and love them.