NGD of sweet usedness , is that a word ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Love the bone pins too.

A little cyanoacrylate and a couple of clamps should fix that right up. I doubt any finish touch up is even necessary.

I wonder why that happened. Usually, binding shrinks (not expands) or gets crumbly as it ages and outgasses. But this looks really clean, not broken. I suspect it was just poorly glued from the factory many moons ago.

I’ll need to get a dark stain mahogany touch up pen as the clear coat pulled off a little color . I thing it has been fixed before West got it but it was hard to see unless have an anal eye :(

I find little screw ups on very expensive guitars as well so it’s just a curse I live with . Lol

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Personally I think it is a Beautiful Guitar. Guild used some really nice Abalone on the fret markers during the period this one was made. If I hadn't been having more shoulder pain playing my Dreads lately I would have most likely picked it up when West listed it. I think you got an Awesome guitar Ray and the binding isn't a big deal. That should be an easy fix with it just bent and not broken like you said. Also Never in a thousand years would I think West sent it out like that knowingly. Always been a Straight forward stand up guy since I have been on the forum. Besides, Shipping acoustic guitars in this ever changing cold weather can cause some strange things to happen especially when you are dealing with materials that have different expansion and retraction rates like wooden necks, Metal frets, and plastic binding.

You haven't told us the most important aspect of all Ray, How does she sound?

TX

Totally trusted West never had a doubt .

Sound wise ? not sure yet don’t want to mess around to much till it’s stablized .
Low tuned it and dabbled a bit sounded ok lol need the repair and more play time . :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well Ray I hope you are able to bond with her because she is beautiful! Congratulations sir! Worth having a shower interrupted you ask me.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Totally trusted West never had a doubt .

Sound wise ? not sure yet don’t want to mess around to much till it’s stablized .
Low tuned it and dabbled a bit sounded ok lol need the repair and more play time . :)

Thanks Ray, but I've gone back and looked at the pictures I put on FS/FT, and I can see it. I can see it at the 1st fret. It WAS there when I sent it to you and I honestly didn't notice. If you think for a second you can't do a seamless fix, let me know.

West

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's one gorgeous guitar, Ray! Congratulations on a real beauty!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Ray, but I've gone back and looked at the pictures I put on FS/FT, and I can see it. I can see it at the 1st fret. It WAS there when I sent it to you and I honestly didn't notice. If you think for a second you can't do a seamless fix, let me know.

West

I just went to fs/ft and looked . I had to take a tad longer look but the G sheild just drew the eye but I see it zooming would of caught it easier but I didn’t catch it .

Again brother no worries I’ll get her mess’d err , fixed up lol

I’ll also send those pins back . The set I have in back up I can use for the short term just have to take them down in size a tad , more fun work while the glue sets on the binding ;)

Oh , what strings are on there ?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’ll need to get a dark stain mahogany touch up pen as the clear coat pulled off a little color . I thing it has been fixed before West got it . . .

Ray, if that's true then I think the issue here is that the binding has to be cut down to size between the nut and 1st fret before reglue. I suspect this axe was built with an excess of binding material there (accidentally) and I'd recommend a luthier for this rather than DIY (although I don't know your skills). A section of tthe binding will need to be cut with an xacto / razor blade and then mated perfectly back to the neck and the remaining binding section with glue and clamp / tape (just the way they do the corners of the headstock, etc. at the factory). Also, if you think it needs lacquer repair (makes sense), I wouldn't do this yourself either because you don't want to accidentally stain the binding.

Just letting you know my thoughts. Either way, this is not an expensive job. Replacing binding, on the other hand, is another story. That's not your situation.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Great looking guitar....and I too love those bone pins.....very classy touch to an already classy guitar. That one looks like a winner.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
John Pearse 80/20 lights (200L's)

West

I just went to fs/ft and looked . I had to take a tad longer look but the G sheild just drew the eye but I see it zooming would of caught it easier but I didn’t catch it .

Again brother no worries I’ll get her mess’d err , fixed up lol

I’ll also send those pins back . The set I have in back up I can use for the short term just have to take them down in size a tad , more fun work while the glue sets on the binding ;)

Oh , what strings are on there ?

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
By the way, I'd also like to say that dealing with Ray has been my pleasure. What a guy. Countless emails and a very nice phone call, we've gotten to know each other through all of this. It's another aspect that makes buying/selling here so much fun.

West

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
By the way, I'd also like to say that dealing with Ray has been my pleasure. What a guy. Countless emails and a very nice phone call, we've gotten to know each other through all of this. It's another aspect that makes buying/selling here so much fun.

West

and wanting throw darts at me ! lawn darts that is! hahahahahaha :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ok getting ready to start on the guitar !
ynjy7OP.jpg
[/IMG]
maybe I should of done a fret job to while it's bared out before me :)

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ray, and this is just me, but so many people have told me to not go within 10' of a guitar with superglue. Hey, it's you guitar though. Good luck with the repair my friend.

West

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray, and this is just me, but so many people have told me to not go within 10' of a guitar with superglue. Hey, it's you guitar though. Goo luck with the repair my friend.

West

actually many luthiers use it to repair wood cracks , checks ,scratches etc in the NCL

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ooooo more pics :)
pics before my drunkenness hehehehehe

These pics show an erratic joint edge along the binding groove which leads me thing it was a previous repair either by the factory or original owner .
Its hard to tell without complete removal but I think it's the binding thats miss shaped . They could have used a paste made from the grindings or shavings of the binding itself which works just like a glue but leaves a seamless finish between any gaps. anyway who knows really ?

XWTkw5Q.jpg
[/IMG]

CpP8rgk.jpg
[/IMG]

qMYx6Xn.jpg
[/IMG]

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
During my drunkenness

n6q5OTZ.jpg
[/IMG]