Why Should A Classical Rest On Your Left Leg?

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
Can't do it. My body doesn't fit this.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Huh I thought it was to teach you how to graduate to a stand up bass ?

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I've had it for a while now, and it is in fact a postcard from the "original", old world Hoboken, Belgium - next to Antwerp, which is where I live. It says "groeten uit Hoboken", which means "greetings from Hoboken" indeed. It's a dorky little joke.

Cool! I like it. I must not have had my reading glasses on when I looked at it before! :biggrin-new:

My younger brother lives in New Amsterdam. I get up there about twice a year to visit him and his family... and check out the vintage guitar shops.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In the classical position it is very difficult if not impossible to use your left thumb (for right handed players) to deaden or play the low E string. Using your thumb is a must for rock guitar. The most famous "thumb use" is probably Hendrix, who could stretch over several strings, but the technique is used in many of the "classic" rock riffs we all know - Jimmy Page would be another example of lots of thumb use.

My point is that the "best" position depends on what style you are playing. For me, getting my thumb more involved has been a quest since I first learned the riff to "Whole Lotta Love".

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The "classical-guitar position" also evolved to maximize the volume projected from the guitar, as holding the guitar this way kept the vibrations from being absorbed by the body. Very important in the pre-electronic amplification world.
Jim
THANK YOU, forgot all about that!
Stuball48
I never put "Ha" or "LOL". Sort of the internet version of the Deadpan Delivery. Let 'em wonder if it was a serious or a joke.

Dang...my secret's out.

In the classical position it is very difficult if not impossible to use your left thumb (for right handed players) to deaden or play the low E string. Using your thumb is a must for rock guitar.
walrus

And Richie Havens

8a71bd474ea0e4bae13aff10de551122--richie-havens-woodstock-music.jpg

Last edited: