Good Deal on a New M40 (F20)

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
of all the questionable decisions the new Guild in Oxnard, CA has made...re-naming the F-20 the M-40...has to be at the top of my list of mistakes.

tommym

Reaction score
I do like the wider string spacing at the nut and saddle on these newer models. I might look into one of these later on down the road.

Tommy

Antney

Reaction score
"I still have no idea why he was such a jerk but I can tell you there was no reason to return this guitar. "

Sounds like a nice guy to do internet business with.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
of all the questionable decisions the new Guild in Oxnard, CA has made...re-naming the F-20 the M-40...has to be at the top of my list of mistakes.

Recall, it does conform to their new model number "system", it wasn't just an arbitrary rename of that model only:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf

Posted primarily for the benefit of those who may not have seen it yet.
I got my own issues with the absence of a Grand Orchestra (F40 Valencia) slot.

jedzep

Reaction score
The rectangular bridge is always appealing to me in it's simplicity. I wish all acoustics were required by law to have these. Hmm, maybe I'd allow a slight belly bridge too. Always hated the goofy looking Gibson mustache and other flourishes.

Sorry. I just had to vent. It was only 4 degrees all day here with more nasty to come.

At this price, plus my sister living close by enough to pick up, I'm tempted to buy this M40 to run an A-B with my F20, then sell off the un-chosen. Stressing.

I wish you all a good pickin' new year. I truly enjoy reading all your ramblings and meanderings. There's plenty of usable info in this group. Thanks!

tommym

Reaction score
The rectangular bridge is always appealing to me in it's simplicity....

It took me a while to warm up rectangular bridge on my newer Guilds, but now I kind of prefer it.

Tommy

tommym

Reaction score
Recall, it does conform to their new model number "system", it wasn't just an arbitrary rename of that model only:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/guild-acoustic-naming-structure.pdf

Posted primarily for the benefit of those who may not have seen it yet.
I got my own issues with the absence of a Grand Orchestra (F40 Valencia) slot.

Thanks for re-posting that link.

I guess no more F-30 and F-30R.....if they do get around to it, it will now be the OM-40 and OM-50....:monkey:

Tommy

bobouz

Reaction score
The rectangular bridge is always appealing to me in it's simplicity. I wish all acoustics were required by law to have these. Hmm, maybe I'd allow a slight belly bridge too. Always hated the goofy looking Gibson mustache and other flourishes.
Guess I like a little flash in my bridges. Guild's two point bridge is probably my all-time favorite, but I also like the Gibson mustache bridge (plain, without inlays), and Gibson's belly-up bridge. Ibanez also made a very nice looking bridge back in the late '70s & early '80s. Martin's belly-down bridge is the one I'm not wild about - I guess because it's seen on so many guitars.

jedzep

Reaction score

Yeah, but it could have been named S-20/S-40 to at least refer to spruce top, as the M-20 was mahogany. But hey, why make sense?

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've never compared the older F20 to the newer M40 or M20 with respect to the body shape.
Interesting observation. The original post of the F 20 at $899 in excellent condition is a great price for a USA well made solid wood Acoustic - Guild or the likes.
Hope it finds a great home. I think the rectangular bridge on these smaller models look great.
That one looks to be in particularly nice condition with hard shell case.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
"...I'm tempted to buy this M40..."

And that's exactly what I did. Oh, the humanity!!

https://reverb.com/item/6735412-rel...ic-guitar-w-ohsc-westerly-f20-specs-per-guild

Smart move. This was a good deal for someone that was seeking this guitar. I stared at that Reverb listing for awhile and tried to wish its neck down to 1 11/16" but alas it remained 1 3/4".
The length (time - days on market) surprised me. It looks to be in great shape and the price was right. Great silking on the top....but no gloss. I'll be excited to hear about her once she is safely in your arms.

Suppressed the G.A.S., so I thought I'd share, for anyone looking to cop a small bod. Guild's MSRP is in the 2G range, but site sellers are a step lower at $1500-1700. With the discount this rocks!

Already have my F20, now at the doctor's.

https://reverb.com/item/6735412-rel...uitar-w-ohsc-designed-with-westerly-f20-specs

What is your current F-20? Is she sick?

jedzep

Reaction score

jedzep

Reaction score
Just a quick thumbs way up on this little M40. I've only had it for a day and just like my old F20, it has a little brashness rather than chimey depth, however the LaBella Silk and Steel work well and balance it out. The S&S low E is wimpy though, so I put an 80/20 bronze on and a nice thump was restored. I'm thinking of swapping out the A string too. You can dig in a little for flat picking country blues and get a good bluegrassy sound without distorting anything, but aggressive strumming muddles the tone. Playing 'small' is a style that's not always easy to access, especially when the exuberance of playing songs you love strikes. Measured restraint. Firesign Theater called it 'stopping power'.

Like the F20, the top needs a decent string tension to come to life, so I think it will end up with 13's tuned down D-D. That seems to do the trick. Also, I'm not much of a finger style player, but it must be good because it sounded fine when I murdered Hot Tuna's 'Hesitation Blues'.

Unfortunately, when the F20 gets home from the hospital I'll have to do the Sophie's Choice thing and sell one, but only after some fun comparing the two. One thing that will tip the scales a bit, the M40 so wonderfully easy on my old fretting hand.

Last edited: