Groeten uit Hoboken

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Walter, is that a new avatar? It looks like a postcard from Hoboken, NJ.

I've had it for a while now, and it is in fact a postcard from the "original", old world Hoboken, Belgium - next to Antwerp, which is where I live. It says "groeten uit Hoboken", which means "greetings from Hoboken" indeed.

Those were the days, before selfies, when people would send postcards to prove that they had been in another city.

Here's a better view of the one from Walter's hometown:

GroetenUitHoboken.jpg

I guess that was the workingman's version; there was also the aristocrat's version:

GroetenUitHoboken_2.jpg

..... and if you had visited my hometown you would have gotten this one:

GroetenUitBreda.jpg

Obviously a lot of what is pictured in the photos no longer exists; except for the really old buildings.

The last time I walked around in one of the tourist areas of Amsterdam, I noticed that they still sell these kind of postcards. That might be one of the reasons that some people in the U.S. still think that we walk around wearing wooden shoes, while I'm probably one of the very few people who actually does!

So far for all the greetings from the other side of the 'Big Pond'. Happy New Year to you all!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ah yes, postcards....those were the days. That would make for an interesting search, to see how the 'postcard industry' has fared since the advent of cell phones, Selfies, etc.

And a Happy New Year to you, Hans. Thanks for the guidance to keep us all in relative order.

Joe

poser

Reaction score
Great postcards. Thanks for posting them, Hans. Happy new year to all.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Happy New Years Hans and to all , may this year bring much happiness and health and a little bit of wealth to those who need it . Hugs everyone 🙂

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks for being here for us, Hans. And here's hoping we all have a great 2018!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Definitely Happy New Year to Hans and everyone, Great Postcards! Hans your mention of Wooden Shoes brings back memories. When I was in High School here in Texas we had a few Foreign Exchange students come over from Germany for a few months. They were all surprised when they arrived because they had always expected that everyone in Texas would be riding horses back and forth to work and school instead of cars and trucks. Also they thought that all of Texas would look like every old Western film made with the small towns in the middle of the desert with an unpaved main street. It's amazing the expectations that one's mind can create without first hand knowledge of a certain place or it's inhabitants. Happy New Year to all!

TX

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans, you still wear klompen? Is that only for special occasions?

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My dad had a pair of wooden shoes he got from Holland. We used them instead of stockings for Christmas when we were kids.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
In the early '80s I spent ~18 months in the Middle East, and lived for awhile in a village populated in part by Nederlander volunteers. Mostly students in university gap years or graduates just out of uni. Klompen were very popular among these folks. I did a stint taking care of rose bushes—export to Aalsmeer was a primary income source—and found those wooden clogs to be excellent footwear for walking amongst thorns, stems and roots. So after borrowing a spare pair for awhile I got a set of my own! When I moved on I left 'em behind, but I often wish I'd kept them. :)

Happy New Year!

-Dave-

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, you still wear klompen? Is that only for special occasions?

Yes, I do, but not just for special occasions; I wear 'm all the time when I'm working.

I have the Swedish clogs with leather uppers; shot a photo real quick on the kitchen counter:

MyClogs.jpg

They're almost worn through, but I already have a new set waiting.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
Is that kitchen inside of your windmill, just a little way away from the dyke? Or dike, if that's offensive, I'm honestly not sure.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh - the clogs

We used to have clogs that had wood soles - about 40-50mm thick - and leather upper parts - they were open in the back, so one could simply slip them on-off. They were great to make rattling noise while walking down stone staircase. Dr Scholl was big name here. I can still hear the sound of women screaming at Studer Switzerland when we were going to eat or at the end of day. I would mostly go normally and then take double steps and same time letting the heels hang loose to produce the sound. They thought I fell. Now at this age I can understand that it was probably not the wisest thing to do - but I was young and one had to take fun where it was to be taken.

Happy New Year to ALL

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Happy New Year to everyone here at LTG. And here's to a healthy, peaceful and musical 2018.

In my family (brothers, sister, nieces & nephews), we still send postcards when traveling abroad and on vacation. It usually takes an afternoon, with a good bottle of wine or an IPA, to sit down and write everyone. But it is fun and an opportunity to be witty! And it makes the trip to the mailbox more enjoyable, amongst the bills and form letters. The stamps and foreign postmarks can be cool to check out. Plus, it is proof that you actually travelled somewhere... a selfie can be easily photo shopped!

Last edited: