My Favorite Archtop Guild - Picture

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
So do any of you have that one Guild that is just over the top - whether you own it or not.
I don't own this one but I think it is quite possibly the sweetest looking Guild I've ever seen.
May be the lighting or the wood background but it is beautiful.
All I have is this picture I found on the net.
133264312.jpg

Is that a red finish or Transparent cherry? Anyone know what year it could be?
Love to see those Guild arch top Pics.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Well,

Mine would have to be the one that got me started:
guild-ce-100-001.jpg

Been following Kitarkus' thread on his M20 travails, and it reminds me of mine with this one. A several years ago I made the mistake of having a "luthier" in Tulsa re-bind it. When we went to pick it up, SWMBO said "I thought you were going to kill him". It has taken me the better part of a year to ease it back into presentable shape.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
133264312.jpg

The fact that the guitar was photographed in bright sunlight and the low resolution of the photo makes it hard to tell, but from what I know about Guild finishes I would think that we're looking at a transparent cherry finish.

As far as the year is concerned it's a little easier because that combination of features was only available for a very short time and I would say that guitar is probably from late-1963.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
CosmicArkie - I love the burst on the CE-100 and the condition is fabulous for a 60 year old guitar.

Thanks Hans - for narrowing down the year for me on the Starfire III
The reissues are pretty close but they have pretty stripey grain - Still may look at one of those in the future.
Finding a 63' in that shape could be far out of my price range.

These are not far off in the look but I'm sure they feel and sound different than the vintage Starfire III's
166778183.jpg

Last edited:

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Steve - beautiful 61' Starfire
Love the grain .
Those pickups probably have a very different vibe than the humbuckers.
Thanks for linking the picture.

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love the Johnny Smith and the Burst X500(?) I think, looks amazing.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So do any of you have that one Guild that is just over the top - whether you own it or not.
I don't own this one but I think it is quite possibly the sweetest looking Guild I've ever seen.
May be the lighting or the wood background but it is beautiful.
All I have is this picture I found on the net.
133264312.jpg

Love to see those Guild arch top Pics.

this might be maple, which would make the red brighter. Most red examples, overall, are mahogany. not sure about the ratio of red maple/mahogany in 1963.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
133264312.jpg

As far as the year is concerned it's a little easier because that combination of features was only available for a very short time and I would say that guitar is probably from late-1963.

Thought a little about it, because I remembered having seen that same background before. It's Dave Gregory's guitar, which is an early '64 model, so it's a little younger than I initially thought after seeing the photo.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

BOBBYC

Reaction score
That's my guitar! I bought it off eBay in the last week or so. Good pick it plays and sounds as sweet as it looks.I'm waiting for new strings and new gold screws then the tuners and tailpiece cone off to be buffed out.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
OK, I'll play. I am the latest LTG member to own this fabulous X-500; I bought it from GAD during one of his fire sales. It's found a permanent home here, it ain't going anywhere. This picture doesn't do the beautiful finish justice. this is one great looking (and playing and sounding) guitar. colour me satisfied.
IMG_3386-1-e1514840706879.jpg

Last edited:

john_kidder

Reaction score
looks exactly like mine - '63 X500 Spec (w/ master volume)

but my favourite of all is the '61 A500.

Can't seem to get into my Photobucket account to find a pic - haven't been there for years.

Last edited:

Jeff Haddad

Reaction score
Not mine.

sYLYNzR.jpg

That is a great one!

John, even if you did get into Photobucket you wouldn't be able to post the picture unless you paid $400 minimum. That's their extortion rate for being able to post your own photos on a website. They changed their policy last summer.

Last edited: