learning to play again!

kbob2

Reaction score
I have had guild D-55's and martin HD28 in the past and gave up on playing. I sold all of my guitars 3 yrs. ago but now back into trying to learn to play. I have a new guild D40 traditional and have a D-55 coming in January and a HD28 in march coming. So after this post I know I will hear what a dumb butt I am but at 70 yrs. old and sitting around board is my on ly excuse to give it another try. I am going to start lessons all over and I am a beginner and while waiting to call my instructor I am practicing from a book of chords to play all kinds of chords. I am having lots of trouble fingering some chords that require fingers all up and down the fretboard. My fingers are short and also my hands are not real felexable right now. Simply put I get sad when practicing chords and already getting discouraged and saying I can't do this. MY simple question is after practicing time after time and willing to put my time in to learn will my fingers and hands wrapping around neck eventually improve? I surely can find hope that after practicing different positions that maybe eventually my hands will adjust and stretch? I know there will be many chords that possible may never be able to play but they 're probably chords that one doesn't play or use a lot anyway! I don't know but what say you guys!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Been a long time since I learned to play, Bob, but I seem to recall that it felt awkward for a while. . . until it didn't. :)

I take it that you're saying that you were just starting to learn when you gave up last time. I mean, otherwise you're not really starting from ground zero, are you? If you had some proficiency back then, I think you'll find that you haven't lost that.

In any case, best of luck with your guitar experience.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Kbob2:
Getting ready for my 6th lesson at age 69. Been a lot of singers make A LOT of money playing 6 chords or fewer. Practice makes permanent--perfect practice makes perfect. Although I would love to pick up a guitar and be able to just "fall in" with whatever was being played, I know I am years and many many hours of practice away.
Don't let these guys on LTG fool you--those who play well have put in their time and we beginners have the same challenges. Make realistic goals! And do not hold back when singing your songs-"if only the birds who sang beautifully sang in the forest, the woods would be quiet."
G, D, and C will give you many songs.
You can do it and not many substitutes for effort and not giving up.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
It's NEVER, ever too late tp learn Bob. Your comments remind me of time spending with my son and my wife's daughter this past week. After I'd played a few songs, they both (at different times) wanted to hold a guitar. They both wanted me to show them some easy chords, though my son knows a few. Then after I tried to work with her chording for about 30 minutes, she said, "This is too much work"! She asked how long I'd been playing and I told her since I was about 7 (I'm 60). Everybody wants to play and nobody wants to practice it seems.......and I'm as guilty as anyone.

Guitar is like just about anything.....you get back what you put into it. I'll also admit that there are those who it seemingly comes easy to, but I've never been one of those people. There's so much more I wish I could do, but then I've never had a lesson, so I only have myself to blame for being so limited.

Good luck with your hobby. Don't pressure yourself and have fun with it. The only time you'll really get stagnant is when you quit! And by the way, that's some serious wood you're "starting" with. : )

West

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good luck, kbob2! This is a great idea! At 59, I've been playing a long time, but only in the last 5 - 6 years or so have I tried to "push" myself more, learn more difficult chords and riffs, etc.

Most importantly, have fun!

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Bill showed up at Guitars 4 Vets about 5 years ago, when he was 88 years old, he is a WWII Marine Vet. He had never played guitar before, he's there all the time now, still pickin' and grinnin' at 93. He's the poster boy for "it's never too late."

You know, to ease the pain in your hand or fingers, you might want to try open tuning and/or using a bottleneck slide. There are many ways to play guitar; whatever works for you is good, as long as you're having fun and you feel like you're accomplishing something!

geoguy

Reaction score
Kbob2, you might consider trying some free on-line beginner lessons, for example at the Justin Guitar website:

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Also, it appears you have really nice taste in guitars. If you're finding any of those instruments difficult to play, consider spending about $75 on a setup at a good guitar repair shop. The setup adjustments will make it easier for you to play.

Lastly, if your hands are small you might consider trying a guitar with a smaller nut width or more slender neck. If there is a guitar store near you, stop in and try out either some smaller acoustic guitars, or even an electric guitar such as a telecaster. Most telecasters that I've tried have 1 5/8-inch nut widths, and can be setup for very low action (again, making it easier to play while you're just getting started).

Best wishes for success in this new year!

Antney

Reaction score
Have fun with it Bob....play for yourself and at your own speed. Some days are better than others. My wife claims I'm the king of never playing a full song...she might be right. But I enjoy my noodling immensely. Good luck man.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I did not read any of the ther replies but if any beginner wants to have fun learning to play acoustic guitar, and still sound great, and not getting discouraged so fast- USE 11 GAUGE STRINGS

alternatively, u could go for an electric or some sort of hybrid or semi hollow, which will be much easier to play than a D-40/55, at least at first...or switch off beteeen a cheapo electric with 9s or 10s strings, and the big Guild dreads- for now just run 11s on those Guilds.

have fun!!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
All I can say is with guitars to practice on Rock on dude ! Enjoy ;)

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have fun with it Bob....play for yourself and at your own speed. Some days are better than others. My wife claims I'm the king of never playing a full song...she might be right. But I enjoy my noodling immensely. Good luck man.

That was me forever and I find that I fall back into that pattern when playing alone. The cure is playing with other people. My problem is that I've mostly had my fill of playing with other people. I do miss it, though.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
My advice is to stick with it. Playing music is such a reward in itself! I have been playing for 50 years, and I'm still amazed whenever I pick up the guitar and strum an E chord or a G chord. I just let the notes ring out and marvel at the sound.

When practicing your chords, be patient and get the fingering correct for each note before moving on to the next chord. Often times I see beginners in a rush to move on to the next chord of a song before achieving good, clean finger position on the previous one. Go ahead and slow the timing of the song down until you get the chord fretting positions correct. I still have to remind myself of this when learning a song with new chords.

geoguy said:
Also, it appears you have really nice taste in guitars. If you're finding any of those instruments difficult to play, consider spending about $75 on a setup at a good guitar repair shop. The setup adjustments will make it easier for you to play.

This is really good advice! I played guitar for 20 years before I discovered the joy of a professional setup. It can make so much difference!

Best of luck!

Last edited:

griehund

Reaction score
I don't separate playing and learning cause every time I play, I learn something. I memorize chords, scales, structure, fret board, songs, lyrics etc separately. But playing is learning and the more you play the more you learn. I'm 74 and I'm learning stuff I already forgot. My problem is getting my crooked fingers to go where I aim them.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rule # 1: Have fun!

Rule # 2: When in doubt, always refer to rule # 1.

kbob2

Reaction score
That is the truth including me! I love music and to sing but the guitar thing Its easy to imagine the sound and when you hear a guitar one loves the sound but when it comes to reality I want to take short cuts or not invest the time.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wish I could jam with you kbob, I could show you a few short cuts, I'm all about economy of effort.

crank

Reaction score
It takes a certain proficiency in order to be able to use shortcuts.

I get that you like nice guitars, but as a beginner I would be looking for guitars that are easy to play. It is going to take you a while to get good enough to get those guitars to sound like they should sound.

Reaction score
It takes a certain proficiency in order to be able to use shortcuts.

I get that you like nice guitars, but as a beginner I would be looking for guitars that are easy to play. It is going to take you a while to get good enough to get those guitars to sound like they should sound.

Well said.