X170w/5 piece neck

BOBBYC

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to this group. Here's my question I have a blonde Guild X170 built in 1988. It has the 5 piece neck like the x500 x700 and Artist Award. I saw one more blonde with the 5 piece neck on Reverb.com. All the other X170 s I've seen have a 3 piece neck. If I could I'd like to find a 5 piece in a Natural X170. Any idea why they used a 5piece neck for such a short time?Thanks.Bobby.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Answers and opinions will appear shortly - for now, Welcome! That's a pretty impressive signature!

walrus

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG!

That's a pretty impressive signature!

...and I'll second that! Quite a collection of Jazz boxes.:cool-new:

I think that sometimes at the factory, if they were completing the build of a guitar... they would use a neck that was available, if was appropriate for the instrument. There are often variations to the listed specs.

How does a natural top differ from a blonde top in your view?

matsickma

Reaction score
I have noticed late 80's used a 5 piece neck on many guitars in this time period. I also noticed the wood thickness on the front of archtops are pretty thick. I had not noticed a 5 piece on the X170 before and I did own a blond '89 X170 years ago.
M

BOBBYC

Reaction score
My blonde is colored to to amber or yellow side. Whereas the natural isn't. I saw the 2 side by side in a music store in Leesburg Va. I the early 90s.