X-175 Manhattan, Sunburst .....huh.....

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I need another guitar like a hole in the head......
But I keep seeing the Guild X-175 Manhattan in sunburst everywhere on line.

There seem to be a few out there used for a pretty reasonable prices.

Anyone own one of these newer X-175 Manhattans?
Really nice vintage vibe - at least looks wise.

How are the pickups?
How does the neck feel?
Fit and finish?

Can't find one anywhere to try first hand.
May just take my chances, cancel my Junior Jumbo Bass order, and pull the trigger on the X-175.

Here's a pic from the Sweetwater site
166784549.jpg

but they all look pretty consistent.

I have noticed that some have the gold letting "Made in Korea" on the back of the headstock and some don't have anything at all on the back of the headstock....
They must have changed that somewhere along the line.

See what happens when you're off work for the holidays, and you start drooling over every beautiful Guild out there.
Yeah looked at every Guild on Reverb and Ebay....

Reaction score
I have one and love it. I had a blonde one and sold it when I got an ES330 VOS, but I missed it and picked up a burst. Not planning on selling this one unless I find a nice vintage one. To my ear, the pickups have the punch of P90s, but with less mids. Fabulous blues and roots rock tone. The guitar itself sounds nice acoustically too. The neck is just a nice mid sized U. Not too thick or thin. Fit and finish are great. It's poly, but well done. Sorry that's a pretty generic review, but basically, I'm happy with mine.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, I have one. The only part that feels cheap, to me, is the toggle switch. It works fine, it just doesn't fell like something that will last for decades.

It looks really nice, like the picture above. It has more of an acoustic sound, when you play it unplugged than it's brother with the Bigsby attached. I find I can play it clean or dirty. I didn't have to do anything to it. It played really well , right out of the box. It's become my go to electric over my G&L or my Starfire, because of the tones it makes. Of course, with the humbuckers, the SF does other things better, ( and the toggle switch feels better ! ).

I got mine , new, from the guy that used to own Music Store Live, for a nice price. For all I know, it was this one and maybe this guy I got it from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqMK25FgmWI

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
They're not as nice as my old ones, but that's not a fair comparison at all. I think for the money, they're spectacular. Really nice guitars.

F30

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's on the X175. Glad to hear they are great for their price point.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a goldtop m75 that l traded to mavuser. I liked that enough to replace it down the road.

jm345

Reaction score
I have the X-175B - the Blonde with the Guildsby. Great guitar for the money.

dhdfoster

Reaction score
I had a blonde one and sold it, but I’m missing it now. I just missed a black one on eBay that didn’t even sell, and I’m kicking myself.

I agree with Walter that it’s not really fair to compare them to their vintage counterparts, although they do compare quite well, especially for what they are going for used.

dhdfoster

Reaction score
BTW, Walter, if you check back in here, I noticed that you used your black one for a few things in your TrueFire video. I think it sounds pretty great, and not that different than the segments with your 62. Did you film that before you put the real Franzes in, or after? The covers look older, so I’m guessing it was after.

bobouz

Reaction score
The NS series instruments with the serial number & "Handcrafted in Korea" on the back of the headstock are from the Fender ownership era.

When Cordoba purchased Guild, they elected to go with just the interior label for that info, but the guitar is still being produced by the same Korean manufacturer.

Reaction score
Hi All - new member here! I am a bit of a guitar nut (a sad case, according to my wife, and I can't really argue with that! :joyous: ) and mainly have modern and vintage Gibsons, plus Fenders and Gretsches, and a few odd bits and bobs, including a PRS 408 Artist, Peerless Wizard Custom and Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe - the collection numbers about 30 and is shortly to have an Epiphone Elitist Byrdland joining the crowd.

I mention the above because I wanted to put something into perspective for any would-be buyers of an X-175 or X-175b. I tried an X-175b recently, but didn't buy it, only because it was new and I only really buy used guitars, but was intrigued by it. So, when one appeared on eBay a few weeks ago, I snapped it up (another one's appeared today - UK based).

I have to say, I'm really very impressed with it, to the extent that I'd probably sell my Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins before I'd sell the Guild. The build quality is very good (IMO better than the mid-range Gretsches if maybe not quite up to Terada standards, although I can't find anything wrong with it) - it's certainly different to the 6120, and deeper bodied, even deeper than the Falcons. It's got that snappier P90-ish tone to the pickups that really give it that vintage feel and tone.

I bought it with the intention of selling it on just to scratch an itch really, but now have no intention of selling it at all - to anyone that's thinking of getting one, I'd suggest that it was a very good idea indeed.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BTW, Walter, if you check back in here, I noticed that you used your black one for a few things in your TrueFire video. I think it sounds pretty great, and not that different than the segments with your 62. Did you film that before you put the real Franzes in, or after? The covers look older, so I’m guessing it was after.

You guessed right - that's with the old pickups in it

Even with the pickup swap, my '62 still sounds a lot "woodier" in person, but then it sounds woodier than my early '63 too. I think that my '62 is just a particularly nice example that got even nicer by having the snot played out of it. It's starting to look like a prop from one of the Mad Max movies, but it sounds ultra-sweet.