D4-NT ebony pins?

Raf702

Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 95 D4-NT-HR that I acquired and it has a bone nut/saddle put on from the previous owner. But not sure if the bridge pins are bone or plastic.

Anyone know what they originally came with?

I would like to change them to ebony, I went to the official Guild site, and called but their ebony pins aren’t model specific. So no guarantee they would fit. I also went to Bob Colosi, but he no longer sells ebony pins. Then I went to Stew Mac, which they do have but again don’t know if they fit, until I first measure my current pins.

Is it normal to shave bridge pins in order to fit properly? I know bridge pins come in different sizes, etc. according to the pins chart I saw on Bob Colosi’s website.

Also, any suggestions where I can get some ebony pins for my D4?

I appreciate anyone’s help!

Thanks,
Ralf

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Hi Ralf and welcome to the LTG Forum. That is a nice Guild guitar you have! I suspect that the original pins are plastic or micarta. I don't modify my guitars a whole lot , so I don't have any experience with swapping out the bridge pins. But, there are others around here with a lot of experience with custom bridge pins. They should be along shortly with more info. Be patient! Everyone is still recovering from the holiday. :welcoming:

Raf702

Reaction score
Hi Ralf and welcome to the LTG Forum. That is a nice Guild guitar you have! I suspect that the original pins are plastic or micarta. I don't modify my guitars a whole lot , so I don't have any experience with swapping out the bridge pins. But, there are others around here with a lot of experience with custom bridge pins. They should be along shortly with more info. Be patient! Everyone is still recovering from the holiday. :welcoming:

Thanks welcoming me! Yes it’s a pretty sweet guitar I’ve had it for a handful of months now. Changing out the pins is one of the last things I‘m thinking of doing if it’s worth it.

The pins that came on my (long gone) D4 were plastic.

I see, well the current pins on it have like a pearl/abalone looking dot in-lays on them, if that matters.

Raf702

Reaction score
Reason I’m thinking of going with Ebony because people seems to say it adds warmth and sustain, which I want. Since bone adds a bit of brightness which I don’t want. But again that’s all debatable if they are even noticeable or even worth swapping out.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I have a 95 D4-NT-HR that I acquired and it has a bone nut/saddle put on from the previous owner. But not sure if the bridge pins are bone or plastic.

Anyone know what they originally came with?
welcome aboard Ralf!
Originals would be plastic.
Is it normal to shave bridge pins in order to fit properly? I know bridge pins come in different sizes, etc. according to the pins chart I saw on Bob Colosi’s website.
Don't know if I'd call it "normal" but it's been mentioned a few times around here for getting perfect fit or simply modifying less than ideal sized pins to work.
The suggested technique was actually to wrap a strip of sandpaper around 'em and rotate the pin inside it.
Also, any suggestions where I can get some ebony pins for my D4?
Note that anything for a D25 between '94 and '01 will work in the D4, because they all started off as the same guitar. D25's just got some extra details added and always got a gloss finish.
That may open up more options for you.
I suspect the problem may be shortage of ebony as the Madagascan Ebony that was the primary source was CITES-listed for conservation in 2011.
So stocks may be dwindling.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Raf!

I'm a fan of the good-bang-for-the-buck no-frills mostly-unappreciated D4. I've had a few and enjoyed them.
I have a D4-12 which has quite a story but that's for another day.

As to ebony bridge pins, I buy them at my local music store, and have used them on different Guilds with no problem.

Joe

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I think Guitar center carries pins to thought I saw Ebony , thought ? Lol

If you have calipers you can size the pins Bob’s web site that you visited shows you how

Guild pins vary but I’d first try to see if they match any standards . What I do is pull all the pins then go one by one to see what the best fit pin is then measure that one for my replacements . Try matching those measurements to Bobs charts .

Beside pins having different widths they also have different tapers , that I feel is the most important part insuring the most contact surface area between pin and bridge .

I have done a adjustment like Al mentioned above with sandpaper in which I wrapped it around the pin as I did not have a tapper tool .
The sand paper was cut in a strip matching the shaft lenth say 3/4 inch . I cut the strip long enough to make a the funnel shape longer on the bottom just give me some room .
If decide to go this route ,

Go very slowly twisting the pin sanding lightly and then test the fit . Test it often you do not want have your pins sit to low into your bridge by over inlarger the holes .

I use bone and fossilized walrus mostly 😁

bronzeback

Reaction score
The pins on my '92 D4 are plastic (I'm 99% sure they are stock), and very small. Ive got an extra set of ebony pins that fit fine in some other Guilds I've had but are too big for the D4.

Raf702

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone’s insight! I just bought a $10 digital caliper from harbor freight, when I get a chance to pull the pins I’ll measure them and go from there. I might order the ebony pins from Stew Mac, or unless anyone else has other places to check out.

Raf702

Reaction score
This guitar is growing more on me, for the last month or so I was contemplating of selling it for an all-solid wood. But the more I keep playing, it just continues to sing and produce nice harmonics.

I’m just waiting to see if I should put ebony pins, then I’ll be getting the JJB Prestige pick-up soon too.