Looking for info on D4 HR MAH

Reaction score
Looking for any info including year. Have checked different serial number sites and can't find anything that matches the serial number AD402547.

All I know is it's a archback D4 with a mahogany top. I'm also wondering if it's somewhat rare since I haven't been able to find any info on this particular model in the 3 months that I've owned it.

Just curious more than anything as I bought it for the great tone and easy playability.

TIA

38626942965_0961be4e11.jpg

25651838278_cac69643b4.jpg
39492557052_f7f3ac0f89.jpg
24654873477_079ebdb094.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
It is a first for me. I have never seen a D4 with hog top.. Buuut I am a newb compared to a good number of cats on this forum. Just stand by as the cavalry is a coming soon. And welcome to what you will come to realize is a great forum!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
It is a first for me. I have never seen a D4 with hog top.. Buuut I am a newb compared to a good number of cats on this forum. Just stand by as the cavalry is a coming soon. And welcome to what you will come to realize is a great forum!

Yep welcome aboard tgaume!!
I've seen 3 of 'em in all my time here (pics anyway), and that's assuming one of 'em wasn't shown twice if one of the buyers decided to sell it. Couldn't compare s/n's between 'em all.
But yes by far the vast majority of D4's were built with spruce top.
Here's the deal: the s/n chart on the Guild site only covers up to some point in '97 even though it says it goes to '99:
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf.
Your guitar fits comfortably in the upper end of the range shown for D4's there, as last s/n on record is AD401129.
It's easy to miss that they switched from an AD04 to an AD40 prefix during that period, it might have thrown you off.
First time I saw one of those listed on the net I was pretty surprised too. I actually called the seller who was a member here and pretty knowledgeable about Guilds (Jay Pilzer of New Hope, since retired), to ask if the listing was accurate and he confirmed it was indeed, with a comment to the effect that "Guild was doing lots of crazy stuff with tops and finishes during that period".
Since then we've also seen several D4's with finish colors seen nowhere else on a Guild, that I've seen.
But yes that's a real 'hog top.
Also don't worry if your replies take a couple of days to show up at first, new members' first few posts are screened by moderators then they'll start showing up in real time.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I haven't seen a D4 with a mahogany top, either, but it's right here in the old Blue Book. Listed as "similar to the D-4, except has a solid mahogany top, mfg. 1999-2002. Last MSR was $799."
I'd be interested to know how it sounds. :joyous:

Joe

Reaction score

As I said, I bought it for the tone and playability. Really didn't need it as I have a nice collection of Gibson (7), Martin (2) guitars, and other oddities such as a prototype Emmons steel, and a Ovation classical that has a solid wood bowl carved from Mahogany (back) and rosewood (sides).

I'll breakout the Tascam tonight or tomorrow and get a clip of the Guild recorded.

Thanks for all the info!!!

Tom

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
I haven't seen a D4 with a mahogany top, either, but it's right here in the old Blue Book. Listed as "similar to the D-4, except has a solid mahogany top, mfg. 1999-2002. Last MSR was $799."

Joe

Think the blue book's in error on making date range on that one. Pretty sure all the ones I saw were '97's.
In fact it just hit me, Westerly was already closed in '02 and they didn't make 'em in Corona, so it's definitely incorrect on that end at least.
Betcha it sounds an awful lot like a D15.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
HR is for "Hand Rubbed" finish. MAH is probably, as others have suggested, "mahogany." It does look like a mahogany soundboard. Not sure about the year.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HR is for "Hand Rubbed" finish. MAH is probably, as others have suggested, "mahogany." It does look like a mahogany soundboard. Not sure about the year.
Trust me, I'm absolutely clear on these.
Jay Pilzer confirmed actual 'hog tops put on 'em in '97-'98 Westerly and Hans himself has said that the s/n charts don't extend past '97, and it fits in the sequence.
Although it could be a '96, I guess.
"TG", if you really want to nail it down I should have remembered to mention there should be a date stamp on a bevel of the neck heelblock. A little awkward to find but visible looking at just the right angle through the soundhole.
They did stop doing that in very late Westerly production but I think they were still doing it into '98.
That's actually the date the "superstructure" was completed, and actual completed date was up to a couple of months after that depending on how popular the model was.
But it certainly can't be any older than the date stamp.
Our member Hans Moust authored the Guild Guitar Book and if you really want to know the completion date, I'm sure he could nail it down precisely.
He was there copying every record he could while Westerly was shutting down.
He prefers to be contacted at his website:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That's a beauty! You bought it for the right reasons!

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very nice, basically a D-15 w/ bindings (and maybe some other trimmings?)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice tune. She sounds great. Like I said, never laid eyes on a hog top D4, but I must say if I came across one might have to look into it. Nice woody tone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great info. April 29, 1998.
And thank you! We now have evidence that at least one of the models in that section has info extending into '98.
And I might have been wrong about Hans saying the don't go past '97, it wouldn't be the first time I've had incorrect memory of something he's mentioned.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
We now have evidence that at least one of the models in that section has info extending into '98.
And I might have been wrong about Hans saying the don't go past '97, it wouldn't be the first time I've had incorrect memory of something he's mentioned.

No, it's not evidence that one of the models in that section goes into 1998. The numbers in the 'official' serial number lists that are available on the internet do not go any further than the end of '97. The last number in the section for the D4 and D25 is # AD401129 and we are now looking at # AD402547.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No, it's not evidence that one of the models in that section goes into 1998. The numbers in the 'official' serial number lists that are available on the internet do not go any further than the end of '97. The last number in the section for the D4 and D25 is # AD401129 and we are now looking at # AD402547.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thank you! I realize now I got the s/n on the guitar mixed up with the last s/n on the records.