Jimi Hendrix's 1967 Guild Starfire V (Cherry, left handed) sold at auction

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Does somebody know what the final selling price was back in December? They had a starting bid of $ 140,000.00 !

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/57534814_jimi-hendrix-s-1967-electric-guild-starfire-v

"A ... left-handed 1967 Cherry Red Guild Starfire V that Jimi Hendrix played at the Wreck Bar within the Castaways Hotel, in Sunny Isles Beach, FL on May 19, after the Miami Pop Festival."
"Al Hendrix, Jimi's father, ended up with possession of Jimi's guitars after his death. As he inventoried them, he also signed them, as can be seen on the body of this guitar. Included in this lot is a picture of Hendrix playing this guitar in the Wreck Bar after the Miami Pop Festival. The proceeds from the auction of this guitar will go to the Ann and Robert H. Lurie Foundation. This foundation has supported various education, social services, arts and health care organizations around the world: for instance, the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago."

57534814_1_x.jpg
57534814_3_x.jpg

57534814_4_x.jpg
57534814_9_x.jpg

Ralf

Kitarkus

Reaction score
So cool. I learn something new every day. You can sign up where it says "see final sale price" or similar (top left of auction). I signed up and it says "lot passed"....I assume this means it didn't sell?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Too bad his father ruined it with his signature...

walrus

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Too bad his father ruined it with his signature...

walrus

I don't disagree...there were better ways to provide provenance. That said...this is a near 100% way to provide iron clad provenance. My dad would probably have done the same thing :) he is king of the label maker.

idealassets

Reaction score
A guitar played by Jimi one time, and with "Al Hendix" signature right on the top would have a difficult time meeting the minimum bid of $300,000. This guitar was not Jimi's go-to, so not many collectors might want it at all.

On the other hand Peter Green's go-to 1959 Gretsch Duo Jet for $10,500 was not a bad buy considering it would be difficult to but any original and unmolested 1959 Duo Jet for much less than about $7000. Peter Green is still alive, so I can't imagine him letting this go, other than that he has a fortress to house his collections of other drool worthy-guitars.

Many of the lots in this auction did not sell, which probably means that the minimum bids were too high. One was on a Yamaha guitar played by John Denver. Now if they really want to see some money thrown down, either one of John Denver's Guild F612's, F512, F212, or F50r in auction would do it. That is something I would like to see, however I have my doubts about it ever happening.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Doyle Bramall II should really be the owner, and player, of this guitar. Those are some of the last hands it will wind up in, however, unfortunately...given it's current ownership situation...

too cool!!

GSFV

Reaction score
Wow!! So cool!! I'm always too scared to modify and add designs to my guitars. But this one turned out too cool!!

I always wonder if it would still be cool if it wasn't Jimi Hendrix's though. You know? If someone did all that to a Starfire "just because" would it still be THAT cool? Or would it be ruined?
Hmmmm...... :indecisiveness:

matsickma

Reaction score
Hey GSFV, give the steep discount on some if the used NS guitars you could puck one up and modifying it to you groove and not worry about a significant loss of $.
M

GSFV

Reaction score
Ive actually been thinking about picking up a IV and putting full size HB in it. Coil splits and all that. Maybe some added aesthetics.

I have a NS SFV I love. That’s how I found guild. No such luck on a westerly I can afford. But it’ll happen.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled across this excerpt from "JIMI HENDRIX - STARTING AT ZERO" By Leon Hendrix, Bloomsbury 2013:

"I’ve got about eight guitars, but the two I use are the Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Flying Angel which is shaped like a letter A and is extremely rare in Britain. I play a Fender Stratocaster because it gets used pretty hard in the act and it’s the only one that which will stand up to it. Everyone’s screaming about the seven-year-old Telecaster and the twelve-year-old Gibson and the ninety-two-year-old Les Paul. They’ve gone in an age bag now, but it’s nothing but a fad. The guitars nowadays play just as good. You know, the salesman is always telling you that Chuck Berry took this one to the bathroom with him and he didn’t have any toilet paper, so watch out for the pick guard.

I tried the Telecaster, and it only has two sounds, good and bad, and a very weak tone variation. The Guild guitar is very delicate, but it has one of the best sounds."

Warms the cockles of my heart. :)