Bought a Guild today. I'm one of you now I suppose ;)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Aw, nice! They don't come much more minty than that! A real beauty, and apparently an early Antique 'Burst as well, before that they were "Tobacco Sunburst."

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Nice find...smart purchase. That is a great looking D-25. Superb!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Gosh that thing is wintergreen. To me a burst D25 is a sweet find. It seems you most often see them stained brown or cherry. Burst on a D25 is where it's at. Congrats!

Fats

Reaction score
:) It sounds as good as it looks. A VERY lucky find on Craigslist.

Does anyone have experience with guitar humidifiers? Are they necessary? Midwest winters are very dry. Recommendations?

Thanks!

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Welcome aboard with the rest of us Guild maniacs. That is one nice guitar you got there. How did you find it? Craig's List? It looks like it came from a time capsule! And remember, you can never be too thin, rich or own too many Guilds!
cheers,
Tony
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

Fats

Reaction score
Welcome aboard with the rest of us Guild maniacs. That is one nice guitar you got there. How did you find it? Craig's List? It looks like it came from a time capsule! And remember, you can never be too thin, rich or own too many Guilds!
cheers,
Tony

I did find it on Craigslist :)

An older gentleman sold it to me - he said his brother bought it but never learned how to play guitar. I'm pretty sure it sat lonely in its case for 37 years

geoguy

Reaction score
Congrats, that burst D25 is a very fine purchase!

To humidify a guitar, I use a damp sponge (wrung out, not dripping wet) in an open snack-size ziplock baggie, tucked either into the case or between adjacent strings at the soundhole (if there isn't enough room in the case).

Beware the screw-cap Oasis humidifiers. I recently learned that not all guitar cases have enough room to accommodate that tall cap, between the guitar strings & the case lid.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG, Happy Birthday, and congrats on your new Guild.
Lots of love for D25s around here so you're in good company. :encouragement:

Count me among that lot! I really like that antique sunburst finish... in particular the second photo! My '82 D-25 NT came off the line a couple of years after this one. It was my first quality acoustic guitar.

There have been quite a few discussions here on LTG about how to humidify acoustic guitars over the winter in northern climes. Different folks employ different methods. Just enter humidify or humidifier in the "search" box and read back thru the threads.

Here's one: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194882-Humidification&highlight=humidifier

Welcome! :welcoming:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Fats.

f9f72a15811ff79c9fc6919c38a2718b--vampire-quotes-favorite-movie-quotes.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
:) It sounds as good as it looks. A VERY lucky find on Craigslist.

Does anyone have experience with guitar humidifiers? Are they necessary? Midwest winters are very dry. Recommendations?

Thanks!

A much discussed topic. Unless you are going to invest in, and monitor, a hygrometer, the "better safe than sorry" answer is to humidify during heating season. There are several tales of woe about instruments that were not properly humidified.

Recommendations depend upon budget and patience and range from a sponge in a baggie, or soap dish, to any number of commercial products. More important than price is convenience. If your solution needs water every other day then you have a dangerously dry guitar or an inconvenient solution. If your solution drips on the guitar then you also have a problem you should fix.

Distilled water is usually recommended rather than tap water.

I use a commercial humidifier that hangs between the strings holding a sponge. Buying them let me make a small purchase to support a local mom and pop store. I prefer the soundhole placement because it stays in place when you move the instrument in the case.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Congrats, that burst D25 is a very fine purchase!

To humidify a guitar, I use a damp sponge (wrung out, not dripping wet) in an open snack-size ziplock baggie, tucked either into the case or between adjacent strings at the soundhole (if there isn't enough room in the case).

Beware the screw-cap Oasis humidifiers. I recently learned that not all guitar cases have enough room to accommodate that tall cap, between the guitar strings & the case lid.

This is a scary thought that made me do a double-check. I began using this humidifier type in one of my cases only recently...and I really like the low maintenance aspect. I do see that it has left an impression in the fuzz at the top of the case. It is very difficult for me to tell how much pressure is being placed downward and/or whether my case is too tight. Any suggestions on how to determine?

I could see how using this Oasis in a tight case could cause even more string tension to the bridge/neck by pushing downward in a closed case.

Edit: Veering back. I looked at the photos of this D20 again. Killer find!!! I'd have bought this instantaneously. Congrats!

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Congrats, Fats, and welcome to LTG!!!!

The D-25 is probably the most popular Guild model of all time (he says, talking out his you-know-what). :) Yours is a real beauty and looks like it came out of a time capsule. LOVE that antique sunburst.

One thing... Guitars that have been cased and kept locked up that long, well, any guitars that old, should be checked out by a luthier. I don't know how you feel about the setup, but it should play like butter. If it doesn't, have it checked.

Congrats again, and welcome aboard!!!

Reaction score
wow, what a beautiful first Guild! love that burst too.
congrats!

question re the strings listed on the original booklet, L-350 Guild PB strings. those would have been light gauge right Al? and i believe we found out they would have been essentially D'Addario PB12s (EJ16s)?

never mind, googled it: https://reverb.com/item/1288706-guild-l-350-phosphor-bronze-guitar-strings-12-53

:)

Al has said this many times...The original Guild L350s from back in the day would have had an 25, instead of a 24, G string, and he says it made quite a difference! In fact, when ordering the D’Addarios, he orders a single 25 as well...which is something I’ve been forgetting to do. But I’m going to try it on mine!

Fats, that’s one heck of a beautiful burst and an amazing find!!! Good for you! And welcome to the family!