Waiting on this one to arrive in the mail

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I threw down on another Guild acoustic. Here are the seller's pictures. Pleased to say I am buying this from a fellow LTG'er ( refret ) and I am excited to get ahold of it. It is rather rare bird. It is a Guild D52 from 1983. According to refret and other research I have done this was a small run for Guild from 1983 - 1985. He even played it over the phone for me. It is basically a D50 with scalloped bracing. It has been often confused with the DV52 as some of the early DV52's were mislabeled "D52". At one point it was dropped by UPS and needed to have the fretboard re-glued. Overall I dig the look of the guitar. I am a fan of herringbone rosette similar to the DV52, the paddle headstock and of course big fan of ebony fb and bridge. I picked it up for a really fair price. Refret mentioned - and you can see in the pictures - that is looks like some of the binding on the back was replaced. She is not pristine, but it is not pristine I am after. I dig the finish checking etc. I had my eye on another LTG'er's DV52 which is in far better condition, but something about the rareness of this and the fact that it was in line with my budget drew me to this one. That and I really prefer paddle over snakehead on the headstock. Just has that old school Guild look. I am going to post updated pictures and a sound file ( Just for you Ray :) ) once I take receipt.

p9sFgnf.jpg

m1Wufxk.jpg

MGoqwwd.jpg

uvojWsf.jpg

VZYI3rs.jpg

q2hPFbo.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I failed to mention in the initial post, and you can kind of see it in the last photo, that this was the 2nd one of these made.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, D30, nice! that dread should be quite loud and full. the scalloped bracing offers tons of depth too.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think given the tone woods of my Guilds it would be wise for my third to involve hog - likely hog top. Would still love to add a D15 to the stable..

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
wow, D30, nice! that dread should be quite loud and full. the scalloped bracing offers tons of depth too.

I am pretty excited to get me mitts on her WW. Yeah what I could hear over the phone even ( and I realize that is not the most optimal ) this thing rang out like a bell. Jazzed.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total

Sold my Eastman for a really good price to help fund her. Kind of kicking myself bc that Eastman was a tone monster. I might have to replace it. Maybe upgrade to the E10D if I do. I think the sacrifice for what I am getting will be well worth it.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sold my Eastman for a really good price to help fund her. Kind of kicking myself bc that Eastman was a tone monster. I might have to replace it. Maybe upgrade to the E10D if I do. I think the sacrifice for what I am getting will be well worth it.

well, the Guild will have more evenness of sound across all strings vs the Eastman. Even my old D25 does that better than the way more expensive Santa Cruz dread I got.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
well, the Guild will have more evenness of sound across all strings vs the Eastman. Even my old D25 does that better than the way more expensive Santa Cruz dread I got.

Of that there is no doubt. Balance is something Guild does really well in my book. My F30 is balanced beautifully.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of that there is no doubt. Balance is something Guild does really well in my book. My F30 is balanced beautifully.

i have realized how sate i am with my one Guild dread at this point. my wife owns the Cruz. the only stuff i mess with these days is the never ending search for the perfect guitar string. it's like SAS, a fun endeavor, harmless so long as I have a job :) i just bought a set of John Pearse PB lights from Shoreline, $6.90 and free shipping. I remember liking these strings a long time ago, but have little memory. maybe these are the one :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
i have realized how sate i am with my one Guild dread at this point. my wife owns the Cruz. the only stuff i mess with these days is the never ending search for the perfect guitar string. it's like SAS, a fun endeavor, harmless so long as I have a job :) i just bought a set of John Pearse PB lights from Shoreline, $6.90 and free shipping. I remember liking these strings a long time ago, but have little memory. maybe these are the one :)

Strings can make a big difference WW. Well the one Guild you have is a beast and an example of a fine unique Guild. My problem is that I buy and sell too much. I cant seem to hold on to a guitar a long period. The D30 was the longest and that was 4 years. I know it wont be until kids leave the nest that I will be able to afford the D55's, F50's, orphs, etc. so I am in continual search of tone under $1k. I will say I am really excited to get my hands on the D52 as it will be a step up from other Guilds I have owned.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Strings can make a big difference WW. Well the one Guild you have is a beast and an example of a fine unique Guild. My problem is that I buy and sell too much. I cant seem to hold on to a guitar a long period. The D30 was the longest and that was 4 years. I know it wont be until kids leave the nest that I will be able to afford the D55's, F50's, orphs, etc. so I am in continual search of tone under $1k. I will say I am really excited to get my hands on the D52 as it will be a step up from other Guilds I have owned.

Good luck D30Man!...if pictures and specs indicate reality...it looks like a good one. The sub $1K good ones are extra gratifying imo....i hope this one is a keeper.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
D30Man
That is one beautiful guitar just like it is. And it would excite me to have a 2nd tun of any Guild.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Best of luck on this D30man, I hope it is everything you want and more! From what I have seen and heard the early D52's like this one are wonderful instruments. Looking forward to hearing your take on it when it arrives.

TX

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck D30Man!...if pictures and specs indicate reality...it looks like a good one. The sub $1K good ones are extra gratifying imo....i hope this one is a keeper.

Thanks Kit. Agreed. Me too!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Best of luck on this D30man, I hope it is everything you want and more! From what I have seen and heard the early D52's like this one are wonderful instruments. Looking forward to hearing your take on it when it arrives.

TX

Thanks TX. I look forward to being able to report back!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
D30 Man I pmed u re: Mahaogany top dread GAS. can possibly help!