Does Hans have a crystal ball?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
So my infamous recent M-20 purchase with an AH-2479 serial number and Hoboken label got me to thinking. Any layperson can look up Guild serial numbers online. Those of us who 'know a bit more' understand that Guild had some....for lack of a better word....'variations' in their serial numbers over the years (and labels, factories, specs, etc. etc.). The Reverb seller had reported that my M-20 was built in 1965, however, Hans graciously chimed in and informed me that it was actually a 1968. I would have had no way of knowing the actual build year of my guitar without Hans's input. I looked up the serial number myself and concluded probably 1965. This happens weekly just here on this forum. Thanks Hans!

To some these details about their guitars don't matter....but these little things mean a lot to me. I like to know the histories, build years, build locations, and details about guitars in general and specifically about my guitars. I know it isn't just me....or these forums wouldn't exist. I am crazy.....but so are all of you! (so I tell my wife daily). I even inquired with the M-20 seller so that I could learn how he found the guitar (it was under a bed at an estate sale in Carmel, CA....he is a drummer but bought it.....now its mine....and it took me less than two weeks to break the neck lol).

Anyway...I know that Hans has procured a great deal of Guild artifacts, parts, pieces, catalogs, logs, entries and more. Still yet...how the heck does that pile of logs and entries allow him to know the precise year (and often even greater details) about our guitars? Does he have a crystal ball? Is he omnipotent? Is Hans the Guild G-d? I'm thankful that Hans shares the vast Guild knowledge that he has acquired with us lemmings. I appreciate that he takes the time to assist me (us) with qualified information. He's earned a book-buyer for life in me.

Most importantly....what would we do without Hans? Hans? Are you feeling OK? Can I get you some vitamins? You should exercise....get a lot of sleep....eat 3 healthy meals per day. Can I get you a lozenge?....some hot tea?

Hans is Spike. I am Chester.

Kit

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans IS amazing in his pursuit of historical data, even going so far as dumpster diving at Westerly when they closed and tossed all the old records. I'm fairly sure that's correct. How he catalogs all this information and keeps it all organized is beyond a modern miracle!! He alone knew the story about my D65S, which is why I came here in the first place almost 7 years ago, looking for information. But we had spoken (via email) many years before that when I couldn't find that model on any Guild Serial Number lists. At that time he added the model and the run. If you asked him specifically about that model of Guild, he'd be able to tell you all about it and even the fact that I own #11 of 20 that were made!! I'm sure he also has cataloged the serial number of my DV-72 in some way. How he does all this and keeps his facts straight is beyond me, and beyond most of us here, I believe.

However he does it, HAIL TO HANS!! And thanks for your participation here at LTG. We'd truly be lost without you!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1.

Hans also helped me understand more about my D64. I'm sure there are lots of stories like this.

Thanks, Hans!

Someone needs to repost the "Jedi Hans" photo!

walrus

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So my infamous recent M-20 purchase with an AH-2479 serial number and Hoboken label got me to thinking. Any layperson can look up Guild serial numbers online. Those of us who 'know a bit more' understand that Guild had some....for lack of a better word....'variations' in their serial numbers over the years (and labels, factories, specs, etc. etc.). The Reverb seller had reported that my M-20 was built in 1965, however, Hans graciously chimed in and informed me that it was actually a 1968. I would have had no way of knowing the actual build year of my guitar without Hans's input. I looked up the serial number myself and concluded probably 1965. This happens weekly just here on this forum. Thanks Hans!

To some these details about their guitars don't matter....but these little things mean a lot to me. I like to know the histories, build years, build locations, and details about guitars in general and specifically about my guitars. I know it isn't just me....or these forums wouldn't exist. I am crazy.....but so are all of you! (so I tell my wife daily). I even inquired with the M-20 seller so that I could learn how he found the guitar (it was under a bed at an estate sale in Carmel, CA....he is a drummer but bought it.....now its mine....and it took me less than two weeks to break the neck lol).

Anyway...I know that Hans has procured a great deal of Guild artifacts, parts, pieces, catalogs, logs, entries and more. Still yet...how the heck does that pile of logs and entries allow him to know the precise year (and often even greater details) about our guitars? Does he have a crystal ball? Is he omnipotent? Is Hans the Guild G-d? I'm thankful that Hans shares the vast Guild knowledge that he has acquired with us lemmings. I appreciate that he takes the time to assist me (us) with qualified information. He's earned a book-buyer for life in me.

Most importantly....what would we do without Hans? Hans? Are you feeling OK? Can I get you some vitamins? You should exercise....get a lot of sleep....eat 3 healthy meals per day. Can I get you a lozenge?....some hot tea?

Hans is Spike. I am Chester.

Kit

I wondered as well and thought he used a magic 8 ball or something lol sound like a ton of dumpster diving for lost records and lots of conversations .

Maybe he will share how he came about all those old lost to us records and info . 😁

+1.

Hans also helped me understand more about my D64. I'm sure there are lots of stories like this.

Thanks, Hans!

Someone needs to repost the "Jedi Hans" photo!

walrus

That would be funny to see :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Not sure.. Seems like a rather personal question. It is my understanding that most prosthetic testicles are made from a hard rubber like silicone.. Sorry I couldn't help myself :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hans IS amazing in his pursuit of historical data, even going so far as dumpster diving at Westerly when they closed and tossed all the old records. I'm fairly sure that's correct.
Actually it's technically incorrect and I'm responsible for perpetuating that misinformation, based on a false memory.
He did correct me about it a while back, that he didn't actually dumpster dive at Westerly.
At the time I think I was also thinking of parts that were discarded.
I'd swear he said he actually copied the records although I'm getting leery of the accuracy of that memory.
But he had a chance to correct me again about that when I mentioned it in that new member's 'hog-topped D4 post, so I think that's still accurate:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195131-Looking-for-info-on-D4-HR-MAH
Let's just say it's a case oftt he concept being true even if the detail's inaccurate:
Hans has the best collection of production and serial number records we know of.
I'm pretty sure it probably IS the best in the world since I suspect nobody else cared as much as him at the time.
I do remember for sure that a long time ago, like around '09 when I first joined, he did tell me in an email that his s/n records were manual (I'm thinking like 3x5 card file, but in any case, not computerized).
I can see that it might actually be easier to maintain a card-file with cross-references added as new info becomes known, than to actually try to load up and maintain a database.
And after a few years of poring over production logs I suspect he's familiar enough with 'em that it gets easier to find a given instrument every time.
It occurs to me that probably just writing the book embedded a lot of info in his memory permanently.
My greatest respect for him is for his reluctance to speculate about things.
He prefers to stick to the facts, and if he doesn't have 'em, he doesn't say anything.
MOST of the time.
Once in awhile he surprises me but even then it's by way of explaining how he had to make some logical assumptions in the absence of any evidence to support 'em.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Regarding that cartoon, if my memory serves me right, Spike ends up going face to face with the cat and well......

kostask

Reaction score
Spike goes face to face with a Panther, gets chewed up ny the panther, and then Spike is following Chester around after Chester calls Spike a coward.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hah ! Awesome can someone please photo shop a guild light saber in there ? Lol

A Guild Light Saber, eh? I'm not sure that works with that pic, but I did this just because.

Guild-Lightsaber.png

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I think that works beautifully. Looks like used the Guild neon sign and worked it in there.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans has done decades of research, record keeping, international travel, and guitar buying. He can identify things on your Guild you would have never seen on your own, connect dots and draw conclusions on mysterys and oddball pieces that none of us would have found on our own. Even more impressive than that, is simply knowing what to look for. He has visited the Westerly factory, both when it was in full swing, and when it was closing, and yes did acquire spare parts and obtained- one way or another, Guild records that nobody else seems to have in any complete or organized fashion, at least that they are willing to tell anyone about. (he did not dumpster dive, however! not to say that other people did not, right around the same time...hence the confusion there...)

most important he is super kind, and generous with his knowledge and information. most anyone one else would be hoarding, keeping secrets, and simply telling people they are wrong- without providing the correct information.

it is hard to imagine what LTG or anything Guild at all whatsoever would be, without Hans. especially considering anyone else with any real or original knowledge of the subject certainly does not appear to be accessible at all; perhaps they were at one time, and no doubt Mr. Moust has interviewed them if so, and all gathered info from all sources during all this time, has simply become the Hans database. Obviously Hans is aware of this, and probably has a hard time also, envisioning the "next level world of Guilds" that he has created...without him. this is likely the reason he has been sharing all of his knowledge and information all of these years, quite generously. The important thing for the rest of us, is to simply learn as much as we possibly can from Hans. You have to reach the point of where u are literally inside Hans' mind or he is inside yours; "What would Hans do?" or "something here is not right" or just a feeling that what you are looking at is something special, somehow, for some reason..."the neck isnt typically this fat," or "this is a late year for these features" just overall patterns (or lack thereof) and really just knowing what to look for- much more significant (and impressive) than just reading a list of numbers and dates from a piece of paper!

and of course like many of you, I have stories of Hans that would be quite impressive, even in comparisson to most of what has already been shared.

Simply put the value of your Guild is highest because of Hans Moust. There is value in information, for those of us that know what it is that we want, and what we do not want. When Hans' Volume 2 is published the value of your 1980's Guild should double, or possibly triple, depending on the model.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hans has done decades of research, record keeping, international travel, and guitar buying. He can identify things on your Guild you would have never seen on your own, connect dots and draw conclusions on mysterys and oddball pieces that none of us would have found on our own. Even more impressive than that, is simply knowing what to look for. He has visited the Westerly factory, both when it was in full swing, and when it was closing, and yes did acquire spare parts and obtained- one way or another, Guild records that nobody else seems to have in any complete or organized fashion, at least that they are willing to tell anyone about. (he did not dumpster dive, however! not to say that other people did not, right around the same time...hence the confusion there...)

most important he is super kind, and generous with his knowledge and information. most anyone one else would be hoarding, keeping secrets, and simply telling people they are wrong- without providing the correct information.
Plus, he’s a Wizard; don’t forget the fact that he’s a Wizard.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I have requested a dinner meeting with 3 attendees. Me....Hans Moust....and Anthony Bourdain. lol

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

it is hard to imagine what LTG or anything Guild at all whatsoever would be, without Hans. especially considering anyone else with any real or original knowledge of the subject certainly does not appear to be accessible at all; perhaps they were at one time, and no doubt Mr. Moust has interviewed them if so, and all gathered info from all sources during all this time, has simply become the Hans database. Obviously Hans is aware of this, and probably has a hard time also, envisioning the "next level world of Guilds" that he has created...without him. this is likely the reason he has been sharing all of his knowledge and information all of these years, quite generously. The important thing for the rest of us, is to simply learn as much as we possibly can from Hans. You have to reach the point of where u are literally inside Hans' mind or he is inside yours; "What would Hans do?" or "something here is not right" or just a feeling that what you are looking at is something special, somehow, for some reason..."the neck isnt typically this fat," or "this is a late year for these features" just overall patterns (or lack thereof) and really just knowing what to look for- much more significant (and impressive) than just reading a list of numbers and dates from a piece of paper!

and of course like many of you, I have stories of Hans that would be quite impressive, even in comparisson to most of what has already been shared.

Simply put the value of your Guild is highest because of Hans Moust. There is value in information, for those of us that know what it is that we want, and what we do not want. When Hans' Volume 2 is published the value of your 1980's Guild should double, or possibly triple, depending on the model.

Damn straight. Well done.

Br1ck

Reaction score
When I was getting my 70 D 35 rebuilt, it needed a new bridge along with a neck reset. Someone had shaved the bridge so thin as to be useless. Who had a stock period correct Brazilian rosewood bridge? You guessed it.

Now any competent luthier could have made a new bridge, but it somehow would not have been the same.