Think I’m going step up my tinkering :)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Think I’m going step up my tinkering :)

Didn’t think I should post in the tech thread as I’m not actively engaged , yet ! Lol

But I’m going to find an old trash can guitar and start working on the ins and out and hulk smash ! Of Learning how to do refretting , fret leveling along with fret board leveling .

I’m stupid nuts about detailed work which In my case clashes with my Hulk smash frustration and lack of patience lol but if I move to California......

Anyway as I find myself asking questions after folks answer the question asked I decided just dig in you know want to and you won’t be satisfied until you do , besides think of all the questions that won’t be questioned when the question is asked ? So win ! Err , umm , yeah , Yaaaaaaaaaay !!!! 😁

So how about sharing your wisdom and experiences success or fail and why ? If you like that is what happens in LTG stays in LTG for the world to see so no one ....... I’d be interested to hear your thoughts .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'll have to get back to you later....my head hurts. :mellow:

Joe

3675222353_e2a2b9bcf4_o.jpg

"There are still situations in which even I find a translator to be most useful, captain."

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm going to start a company called Sobar Pickups and only wind P90s when I'm drunk.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think you could get a good selection of fret boards to learn how to work on, from ebay. It would be nice to try various types. Project guitars or people just selling guitar parts would be what I'd look for. You just gotta' avoid the folks who think their guitar parts are really worth something.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ray, I'm not quite sure what you're saying but I almost think I know. The best way to learn how something it built, is to take one apart. That's how I started. It was an Epiphone jumbo acoustic called a Sheraton or something like that. It was a jumbo that someone had taken the bracing out (I guess thinking they'd get more sound, which you do but YIKES!!) and I just took it apart. It needed the top off, new bracing, and frets, and all of that. I watched videos and did each part as best I could. It actually turned out to be a decent (better than when I got it) guitar. So if you're saying that you think you'll get a beater and tear it up and practice..... I think it's a good idea.

If that's NOT what you're saying, then .... tell me what you're saying.

And now I'm going to bed. :saturn:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey first off sobar is cool 😎 I like the sobar pickup . Lol

Back to sobar if I typed sober my bent finger would hit the d instead of s and then we’d have donor because auto correct does not like dobar ! Lmao

Yes Stewmac is locked and loaded 😁
I’ll check out eBay fret boards .
I’d like to get a acoustic though as that would be the bigger challenge . 😁

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rayk:
You D Man. A good "Tinkerer" is hard to find and don't get locked into -- it must be done one way because the "experts" say so. You might invent or create a tool that does the job better.

poser

Reaction score
Rayk,
I had the same idea. Watch some of the online videos before spending lots of $ at StewMac. Some of the the tools people use in the video are homemade and seem to work pretty well. Making your own tools seems to be part of the creative process. I was looking at Goodwill to buy some guitars to experiment with. They have an auction site and sell lots of cheap guitars for not too much. Most are Pacific Rim-made guitars that look like they were played for a month and then put away somewhere. Some are older ones that need lots of work. I haven't bought any yet, but that might be something to consider. Good luck with your efforts. Maybe you can start a thread in the "build" part of this forum. Here's a link for the goodwill site: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=187&ending=Items Just search for acoustic guitars.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Truth be known (I think it's already known), I've taken on a few odds and ends in the category of guitar repair/remodel/conversion and I learned a lot in the process.
I think it has a lot to do with whether or not you enjoy being a tinkerer/DIY'er. :mellow:

Joe

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rayk,
I had the same idea. Watch some of the online videos before spending lots of $ at StewMac. Some of the the tools people use in the video are homemade and seem to work pretty well. Making your own tools seems to be part of the creative process. I was looking at Goodwill to buy some guitars to experiment with. They have an auction site and sell lots of cheap guitars for not too much. Most are Pacific Rim-made guitars that look like they were played for a month and then put away somewhere. Some are older ones that need lots of work. I haven't bought any yet, but that might be something to consider. Good luck with your efforts. Maybe you can start a thread in the "build" part of this forum. Here's a link for the goodwill site: https://www.shopgoodwill.com/listings/listByCat.asp?catID=187&ending=Items Just search for acoustic guitars.

Thanks poser , I have checked out the Goodwill site sone years back but had forgotten about it .

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I luv you guys too ! Lol 

Hey Rayk

While we all certainly love you - and you always write "Lets hear it" - and while I bought a new Guild yesterday - and I am going to tell to ya all about it later with pictures and sound clip - I want to hear you play something !!!

Where can we hear ya ?

THX

Nuuska

p.s. sun was five fingers high yesterday ....

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Don't forget some of the old Harmony and Kay, USA made models. I picked up an H-162 all solid wood flattop for $100 and an N-2 archtop for $50 to just play around with and learn on. Reset the necks; refretted the N-2 as well; refinished both. For under $250 I've got a couple very playable knock around guitars.

And over on AGF one of the guys was asking about dressing the frets. One of the guys recommended Stew-Mac. One of the very experienced luthiers said "a $5 to $7 hardware store fine mill file will suffice.
YMMV

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m stupid nuts about detailed work which In my case clashes with my Hulk smash frustration and lack of patience lol but if I move to California......

I think one day, when I am looking back on the years I joined the LTG, this quote alone will have been totally worth it...

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey Rayk

While we all certainly love you - and you always write "Lets hear it" - and while I bought a new Guild yesterday - and I am going to tell to ya all about it later with pictures and sound clip - I want to hear you play something !!!

Where can we hear ya ?

THX

Nuuska

p.s. sun was five fingers high yesterday ....

Just go to “Members Music “ I have a few songs posted there , it links my SoundCloud page . Plenty there to listen to , about 5 minutes worth 😁