Reaction score
Guild Total
WOW! Welcome and congratulations on your amazing pawn shop score! :glee:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doh-Homer-Simpson.jpg
Right?? LMAO!! I think that's been covered. Too funny......

In case you were wondering again, it's maple.

Maple.

It's maple.

:applouse:

p.s. - there are plastic bridge pins that have abalone or abalam dots. Just because there's abalone or some type of inlay on them doesn't mean they're bone or not original to the guitar. From that time period, I'd say they're probably a plastic or micarta or synthetic. And they may have dots. Or they may have been replaced. Those are all options.

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
For those of us going by the description in the other thread about this guitar, this information was not included.

It was, it was just wasn't in the Opening post on AGF. It was posted on the second page of the AGF thread in post #19 at 10:34am CST this morning about 2 hours before the "Unicorn" thread was posted here. Very easy to miss if like me you don't pay close attention to the extra pages much on AGF Threads.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5598138&postcount=19

TX

TX, I think this thread is a merge of two threads here on LTG, and I think Jane means that the posts asking abut the maple back came from the thread where that information wasn't disclosed initially. After the merger, some of the posts/questions no longer make sense.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
TX, I think this thread is a merge of two threads here on LTG, and I think Jane means that the posts asking abut the maple back came from the thread where that information wasn't disclosed initially. After the merger, some of the posts/questions no longer make sense.

No Jcwu, It is not a merged thread. This is the the link to the "Unicorns" thread I referenced and if you look at the last post Frono has stated that he was not going to merge the threads but he would close the "Unicorns" thread and direct readers of it over to this thread the Owner posted that we are in right now.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195180-Of-Unicorns-and-Loch-Ness-Monsters

If you follow the AGF thread link in the now Closed "Unicorns" Thread you will see on page 2 what I was referring to in post #19 on AGF.

TX

Last edited:

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My F-50 was ridden hard and put away wet by an abusive R 'n' Rer before I got it around 1980. Lots of wear and tear around the soundhole and even on the binding, had it put into playing shape and never looked back. Still an amazing sounding instrument. Well worth what you paid including the luthier bill. Enjoy it and welcome to LTG.
Brad

Rampix

Reaction score
Well DADGAD, I thought you'd get some answers her at LTG, but 5 pages in less than 24 hours...you're on a roll brother!

I think you're going to be beyond delighted when you get her back and can spend some time with her. I have a '79 F40sb which is very similar construction, but with less bling. Mine was in similar shape as yours when I got it in the early nineties. I decided to not do anything about the play wear and just enjoy her dents and spiderweb finish cracks.

These old arched maple Guilds are tone monsters and work horses. I've played mine at campfires, beaches and even in a wood stove heated tent at 11,000' on an elk hunt in the Rockies. At this point mine is more like an old friend than "just another guitar"!

BTW-I spent quite a bit more than you did. Incredible deal!

DADGAD

Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted by this. It's like, you bought a case and it came with an awesome guitar!

If it hasn't fallen off, you will be amaze to see the price tag that was on it. It shows what they would sell the guitar for on the day it came out, two months later, four months later and six months later or something like that. The final listed price would be $75. I'll try to post pictures after I pick it up this afternoon.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Wow, just wow, DADGAD! What a great find for an unreal price. "Ya done good, buddy boy!"
Tony

'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 NT (basically a D25 12 string)
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT HR
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

marius

Reaction score
Congrats on the great find! It's stories like this that cause me to frequently make sudden unexpected turns from my direction of travel, often to the chagrin of the guy or gal behind me, when I see a pawn shop.

Maybe one of those detours will pay off some day but I'm not holding my breath.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Congrats on the great find! It's stories like this that cause me to frequently make sudden unexpected turns from my direction of travel, often to the chagrin of the guy or gal behind me, when I see a pawn shop.

Maybe one of those detours will pay off some day but I'm not holding my breath.

May be the subject for another post, but here's another tip; yard sales. If I don't see anything interesting at a yard sale, I always ask if they have any old records, musical instruments or vacuum tubes laying around for sale. At one, a guy said he had an old 'no name' guitar in a case. He fetched it and $10 later, I had a 1968 Kalamazoo (Gibson). $10 was his asking price.

The Kalamazoo:

qeI86Q8.jpg

Rampix

Reaction score
If I show up at your place, will you take me shopping??? Please

marius

Reaction score
If I don't see anything interesting at a yard sale, I always ask if they have any old records, musical instruments or vacuum tubes laying around for sale.

The Kalamazoo:

qeI86Q8.jpg

I appreciate the tip. If I've got time to kill it often takes me hours to get home from somewhere in the summer and fall because I stop at every yard/garage sale I see, but I'm in and out quick if I don't see anything interesting. I'll definitely have to start asking about instruments. My best find this year was a step up wood clarinet that I bought in the spring for $100 and sold in the fall before school started for $500.

DADGAD

Reaction score
As promised, here are more pictures of the Guild. My luthier did the service and dusted off the label. You can read it now. The tuners need to be replaced. There is a Fisman pickup under the saddle that only lies beneath the G, B and E strings. The case even had case candy. Two old sets of Darco strings. From the pictures, can you tell me any more about this guitar? I appreciate any info you can share about it. Thanks!

iOWNwf1.jpg

6MhYImp.jpg

81ObmJr.jpg

2S6hmh3.jpg

Y4BceHr.jpg

0PJwlDd.jpg

diybdUY.jpg

p3AA2eX.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, your TRC is upside down! :)

It looks to be in reasonable condition. I'm not sure whether the neck has been (attempted to be) reset or not. Looks like there's some fretboard binding missing on the bass side. And it looks like stress-related checking on the neck heel, but I'm not sure about that from the pictures.

I'd say before putting any money or time into it, try to get it into playable condition as it is. I think I see some saddle left here, so hopefully getting the neck straight with the truss rod and then doing a setup shouldn't be much of a problem.

The shaving of the finish on the back of the neck is probably not a big deal. Not sure what caused it.

The unfortunate placement of the jack on the treble side is really not a big deal, but I'd basically toss any electronics that it came with and start over (if you even want to).

Best wishes.

Last edited: