D-25 prices on Reverb

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you do "ship to store" you can refuse to accept it right then and there and get a refund. I had one experience with ordering an old Gibson Melody Maker from Guitar Denter. I called the store that had the guitar and spoke to a salesman who said the guitar had no repairs. When it arrived at my local store, the neck had obviously been broken and poorly repaired. The guy on the phone lied to me. My local store was empathetic and refunded the price AND the shipping cost.

Similar experience here. I had them ship to my house. When I opened it after waiting about 20 hours, the top had a big crack down the center seam from the bridge to the bottom. Heartbreaking on such an otherwise gorgeous Gibson Songwriter 12-string! I returned it to my local GC. The guy took one look and reversed the entire charge. I'd still like to have one! Used ones in my price range don't come up very often....

swr721.jpg

swr720.jpg

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Similar experience here. I had them ship to my house. When I opened it after waiting about 20 hours, the top had a big crack down the center seam from the bridge to the bottom. Heartbreaking on such an otherwise gorgeous Gibson Songwriter 12-string! I returned it to my local GC. The guy took one look and reversed the entire charge. I'd still like to have one! Used ones in my price range don't come up very often....

swr721.jpg

swr720.jpg

Ouch Coug. Otherwise a gorgeous guit.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Okay so I am looking on Reverb and I pull up D-25's. I have counted over 10 D-25's in various conditions for over $1000. One is priced at a solid $1400... Are we seeing values rising or are we just seeing people that have their guitars way over priced? There were still quite a few that were $700 - $999 which I believe depending on condition is on the high side for this model. I always viewed the D-25 as the value model. The stripped down model that gives you US made value for under $1k...
Thoughts?

In last Westerly price list (2001) they were $1249.00 list and D-4 was actually the lo-ball stripper model: $899.00 for satin finish and no case.
I got mine in early '97 with OHSC for $700.00 out the door, IIRC.
Actual used selling prices frequently reflects model year street pricing plus depreciation for condition.
So your observation was accurate probably 4 or 5 years ago but in general I see reports about virtually all the models rising in asking price (and sell prices) ever since close of New Hartford.
I never believe in any single reason for a thing like this.
I think a combination factors is actually causing average sell prices to creep up over the last couple of years: uncertainty about the brand's future, uncertainty about a given model's future, healthy economy, shrinking supply as collector investors hold on for an eve better return on the belief vintage US-built guitars will continue to appreciate in value...you can probably come up with more of your own.
I do recall seeing an actual NOS '97 in Woodgrain Red (next best thing to Cherry IMO )being listed about 2 years ago for I think $1249 (or else it was $1299) which of course drew the usual comments of disdain, but I posted that based on my own D25 ownership experience and love of the color I'd pay it happily if I had the room and the money.
I think the sucker actually sold within a week at $1100.00

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
In last Westerly price list (2001) they were $1249.00 list and D-4 was actually the lo-ball stripper model: $899.00 for satin finish and no case.
I got mine in early '97 with OHSC for $700.00 out the door, IIRC.
Actual used selling prices frequently reflects model year street pricing plus depreciation for condition.
So your observation was accurate probably 4 or 5 years ago but in general I see reports about virtually all the models rising in asking price (and sell prices) ever since close of New Hartford.
I never believe in any single reason for a thing like this.
I think a combination factors is actually causing average sell prices to creep up over the last couple of years: uncertainty about the brand's future, uncertainty about a given model's future, healthy economy, shrinking supply as collector investors hold on for an eve better return on the belief vintage US-built guitars will continue to appreciate in value...you can probably come up with more of your own.
I do recall seeing an actual NOS '97 in Woodgrain Red (next best thing to Cherry IMO )being listed about 2 years ago for I think $1249 (or else it was $1299) which of course drew the usual comments of disdain, but I posted that based on my own D25 ownership experience and love of the color I'd pay it happily if I had the room and the money.
I think the sucker actually sold within a week at $1100.00

I hope you meant "stripped" model Al. I am pretty sure you did sir. Nothing wrong with a D25 selling for $1100.00. Especially if it is a NOS / Minty / Clean vintage condition. I think it is when I see a D-25 that is a bit toasty looking for over $800 that I raise an eyebrow. On the flip side it is good to be a seller if values are rising.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
With the prices of new Guilds matching Martin prices, the price of used Guilds are bound to rise.
The days of great used prices on Guilds are starting to go away.
That isn't really a bad thing though
Our used Guilds will be worth more than what we paid for them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I hope you meant "stripped" model Al. I am pretty sure you did sir.
LOL, but no, I was using it in the same way car dealers referred to a base model with absolutely no options.
Somebody around her once mentioned they even had a '74 Buick Apollo without even an AM Radio. A '74 Buick with no radio?!??! .
Now that's a stripper! (I think they got hubcaps at least, LOL!)
(Turns out it was a "fleet" build: cop cars, taxi cabs....)
Nothing wrong with a D25 selling for $1100.00. Especially if it is a NOS / Minty / Clean vintage condition. I think it is when I see a D-25 that is a bit toasty looking for over $800 that I raise an eyebrow. On the flip side it is good to be a seller if values are rising.
Yep to all that.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nothing wrong with a D25 selling for $1100.00. Especially if it is a NOS / Minty / Clean vintage condition.

oh i totally disagree. that would be outrageous. i would prefer it if D25s remain under 800. selfishly of course :)

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
oh i totally disagree. that would be outrageous. i would prefer it if D25s remain under 800. selfishly of course :)

Being a D-25 owner if figured you would want to see values rising WW. However, as a buyer I tend to agree.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Mine is darn near priceless. To me.

I'll give up my D-25 when they pry my cold, dead fingers off the frets!

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
As a completely impartial and indifferent D25 owner I say they're only worth $1100 if they've got Ej-16's on 'em.

LOL Al. and, like I am one to talk as i have about 1100 into my Br...joke is on me.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I bought my '96 D25 (cherry finish) on Ebay about 4 to 5 years ago for $700. It was (and still is) in excellent condition and came with a LR Baggs pickup under the saddle. I thought that was a good deal but I just saw the same year model/color sell on Ebay for $539. Btw, seems that D25's are way lower priced on Ebay than Reverb. I bought my D30 AB on Reverb last year and probably paid a bit too much for it, but I love the guitar so a few extra bucks doesn't really bother me too much. Besides, it has the AB finish which is really beautiful and came with a nice LR Baggs pickup as well.
Tony
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 12 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'84 D40 NT
'00 Taylor 414ce

Br1ck

Reaction score
Just for giggles, say you have $1100 in your pocket and you need a dread, what other guitar would you take over a good early 70s D 25 or D 35? I've played dud D 18s a bunch, not that you'd find one, some decent Larrivees that were in the ballpark, or perhaps a Pono or Eastman. Lower end Taylor?

You could do worse than the right D 25.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just for giggles, say you have $1100 in your pocket and you need a dread, what other guitar would you take over a good early 70s D 25 or D 35? I've played dud D 18s a bunch, not that you'd find one, some decent Larrivees that were in the ballpark, or perhaps a Pono or Eastman. Lower end Taylor?

that is a really good point Brick. If I had 1100, I might look for a Hoboken D40 and really kick out the jams...sometimes even D55s though rare, come up for 1200. maybe i could talk the dude down :)

tarheelguild

Reaction score

If I had $1100, I'd find a really nice DV52. That model is still on my bucket list! Sigh, one day....

Br1ck

Reaction score
I happily spent $1100 on my D 35, which I bought unplayable 20 years before for around $200. I haven't played anything I could buy in that ballpark I'd like better. Last guitar lust was a 66 D 18 which was on the right side of a neck reset, but it was $2200, and worth every cent.

Those of us who have been around a while suffer from the old I used to buy those for $500 syndrome. Yeah, forty years ago. And you could get a nice E type Jag for $10,000.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I happily spent $1100 on my D 35, which I bought unplayable 20 years before for around $200. I haven't played anything I could buy in that ballpark I'd like better. Last guitar lust was a 66 D 18 which was on the right side of a neck reset, but it was $2200, and worth every cent.

Those of us who have been around a while suffer from the old I used to buy those for $500 syndrome. Yeah, forty years ago. And you could get a nice E type Jag for $10,000.

fair enough. I still maintain that a D25 over 800 bucks is just wrong.