We're back!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
A shocker indeed! Anyone know what happened?

Brief outage during which LTG was unavailable. Turns out it was a planned outage from the stand point of the hosting company, but Don, LTG owner and Administrator, did not get the message from the host in time to warn folks it was coming.

Reaction score
I've been out of town for a few days, so I missed the outrage. I will say, a couple of years ago I upgraded my computer (Apple) and I could not synch up my ITUNES library to my liking and finally gave up on it. I'm not as anal as I thought.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's funny. When my web site suddenly gets REALLY slow, and I submit a help ticket with my host, the site magically speeds up in about 45 minutes, and the next day, I get an e-mail that says they found nothing wrong. This last time, they ran a scan of my site and told me my images and a few things were not optimized, and that was probably the reason. Yeah. I changed nothing before, when it was fine, and changed nothing, it got slow, I changed nothing and if got fast again. I suspect my host was doing something, and didn't want to inform me, hoping I wouldn't notice. Again.

Reaction score
It's funny. When my web site suddenly gets REALLY slow, and I submit a help ticket with my host, the site magically speeds up in about 45 minutes, and the next day, I get an e-mail that says they found nothing wrong. This last time, they ran a scan of my site and told me my images and a few things were not optimized, and that was probably the reason. Yeah. I changed nothing before, when it was fine, and changed nothing, it got slow, I changed nothing and if got fast again. I suspect my host was doing something, and didn't want to inform me, hoping I wouldn't notice. Again.

That is the world of IT in a nutshell. Refusal to take ownership of a problem and then behind the scenes coming up with a solution.

PittPastor

Reaction score
If y'all would like another rant I could do a couple of paragraphs on the new Face-ID feature which is FARKING STUPID.

The sad part is it doesn't matter. Apple ceased being a tech company years ago. They are a "lifestyle" company now. Where they used to be driven by being "Insanely Great" now they are just "Great at making the insane think they need us." 100 tech people like you could leave Apple forever and there would be a 100 Baristas -- er I mean Artists -- coming to take your place, saying: "Just take our money!"

But, I'm sure you know that...

Q: How many Apple engineers does it take to change a Lightbulb?
A: None. Apple simple declares dark the new standard.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You guys are being interestingly harsh on Apple. I think it's inevitable that companies that do all their software "closed" get this kind of abuse. However, let's acknowledge that Apple has always been this way with its software (and hardware!) products. iTunes has certainly sucked hard since the beginning, and that's a lot of years ago... well into the Jobs era.

The last generation MacBook Pro and my old iPhone are terrific products. That said, I do agree that Apple is struggling to find the next niche to create and conquer. Frankly, the bigger smartphones ever since the mid-2010s are a step in the wrong direction. And the watch... not doing it. As folding displays start to become a reality, I think the next big thing will be a unified device taking over the role of laptop, tablet, and phone. I look forward to that.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Don't think Apple is only Ginormous company with the attitude of, "if we goof, we will convince our customers that is what they need."

PittPastor

Reaction score
Don't think Apple is only Ginormous company with the attitude of, "if we goof, we will convince our customers that is what they need."

yeah... you're probably right. It probably isn't that they goof... they are probably doing it on purpose...

You guys are being interestingly harsh on Apple. I think it's inevitable that companies that do all their software "closed" get this kind of abuse. However, let's acknowledge that Apple has always been this way with its software (and hardware!) products. iTunes has certainly sucked hard since the beginning, and that's a lot of years ago... well into the Jobs era.

The interface started OK, it just didn't scale. And iTunes was genius when it came out. For that matter, as much as I think Steve J gets too much credit in general, I will say that he is probably the only guy in the world who could have got the music companies to buy into the idea of iTunes.

To some degree, iTunes was a victim of its own success. But that's certainly not the only problem with Apple today. We use Apple products at the church because we have to (the presentation software we run really doesn't run anywhere else). We had a video card go bad in our MacBook. Took it in to be fixed. Met with the "Genius" at the Apple store, and found out our 5 year old macBook was considered "Vintage." That doesn't mean that we're now cool hipsters, that means that the macBook can now not be fixed. At any price. Five years old! I have many Linux and PCs running well past five years.

Getting rid of the jack on the iPhone was a mistake. So is the Face recognition. They haven't done any real update to the MacBook in years -- and yet journalists rush out to tell us why, actually, the new MacBook is great. The watch is nothing but a curiosity. Steve Jobs famously said a stylus is a wrong approach, and they come out with the Pencil which is... a Stylus. Now there are reports (which only came out because some geeks shamed them into it) proving that their updates delibertaely slow down devices. Apple says its to make the battery last, but anyone who has watched their iPad slow down to the point of being unusable can tell you, it coincided with the updates, not the battery life. Apple is clearly deliberately "obsolescing" their products to make people upgrade.

Everything people accused Microsoft of for years, Apple is doing times ten, but no one seems to care. And, BTW, Bill Gates is giving away 80% of his fortune. Steve Jobs never gave 10% of his income out in any single tax year.

I'm going to stop now... but Apple frustrates me to no end...

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My forum page's script/font and format has gone very small and taken on a different look but this post is in very large script. Is this a continuation of aggrevation? And it could be "operator error."

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My forum page's script/font and format has gone very small and taken on a different look but this post is in very large script. Is this a continuation of aggrevation? And it could be "operator error."

Most probably operator error, in that your settings might have been involuntarily re-set, check your settings. (upper right next to logout button, then use "account settings and thread display options)
Actually when I went to review those just now I got a pop-up window saying the webpage contains errors, do I want to de-bug, had to cancel out of the window, so maybe something has changed on the server end.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Al:
What is the title of that old religious song I sang in that little country church in rural Tennessee? You reminded me of the title with your instructions, "Savior Like A Sheperd Lead Us." Followed your instructions and back to "normal" for now, anyway!