Some TLC for the D-25M

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
The old gal got the full treatment tonight - body and headstock cleaned and polished with Virtuoso, lemon oiled the fingerboard and bridge, new set of D'Addario PB Bluegrass strings, played several songs and tweaked on the strings for an hour...ahhhh.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ain't it nice to let an old Veteran back into action. How did Bluegrass strings sound? I'm guessing good!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I bet it sounds amazing. A little bit of love can make a big difference sometimes.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My favorite new strings, I have them on y DV-52 as well, the top strings are just slightly thinner than mediums.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Might have to give them a try on my DV52. It will be due a string change in about a month. Any particulars I need to know or pb DD'Addario Bluegrass is it?

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yer right about that Bonneville! Louise (my D-25M) is officially 42 years old now and still rings like a piano, especially with new strings! I remember it having a really rich tone when it was new, out of the 3 guitars I tried that day, it said "Pick me, pick me!"

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dread, that is too cool! Bought new - wow!
I had six of 'em at one point in 2017, that's how bad I have it for D25s, LOL.
Slowly divesting, down to three now, eventually intend to wind it down to one... but
picking the ONE is gonna be tough. Never played a D25 I didn't like.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm kinda preferential to the arched back and spruce top. I'm guessing in the total scheme of vintage D-25's, this is the most common configuration.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Me too... but I finally got to try a flat back D25 earlier today.
All hog, believe it was a '70 or '71.
Dead strings, frets just about worn out, saddle down to nothing, needed a neck reset,
but still had some great tone to it. Can't wait to try
it out once the owner decides to get it completely sorted... which I
heartily encouraged him to do!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda preferential to the arched back and spruce top. I'm guessing in the total scheme of vintage D-25's, this is the most common configuration.
I figure with a production run of 27 ('74-'01) years, take away maybe one or 2 for those flat-backed "DV25's" in late '90's, that absolutely has to be the most numerous version by far.
The all-hog versions had about 6 years out of Westerly ('68-'74 approx.) and I don't think they even got a full 2 out of Corona, '01-'03 or maybe early '04.
They're not on the spring '04 price list, already supplanted by GADD25.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dreadnut:
Was on a little trip for a couple of days and took my Epi Masterbilt with me. Had the time to play it alot and noticed the strings were frayed at the 2nd fret. That is all I needed to go and find a set of D'Addario EJ19s. Came back and changed the strings and I really like them. In fact, going to buy two more sets. Thanks for the recommendation.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dread:
No more EJ19s in three music stores in city including a GC. Did a little more research and found the same in D'Addario 80/20 bronze EJ14. Have you or any reader tried these for Bluegrass?
Will order online in couple of days.