Anybody know which model Guild this is?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go Orpheum! :)

Interesting about that recording... Nice balance between the guitar and the vocals. Not sure why the mando either wasn't picked up or really wasn't part of the performance.

Anyway, what's interesting to me is that it seems there was only that one mic. I'm really surprised that the singer and guitarist weren't both mic'd. And, the mic wasn't anywhere near the soundhole... Very cool.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tyler Ramsey played both Orpheum Slope shoulder and Orchestra models (a bit later in the clip):

Ralf

Bing k

Reaction score
Looks to me like that performance was staged just that way. The mando in the background just barely there, very effective against the vocal. That's really a hell of a microphone. edit to add, the engineer also knows what he's doing

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Any acoustic instrument will sound better, when the microphone is further away. With guitar - the whole top is vibrating, the sound hole is a bit like the air vent in bass cabinet - and also the neck vibrates some. Premium reason for the common close mikin´is more volume before feedback - at the expence of sound quality - unfortunately no eq or other processing can bring back what was lost in "false" microphone positioning.

As FOH-engineer I catch drums with only three mikes - one for BD - one waaay under snare - one behind floor tom. Sounds like drum set. For special effects and unnatural power drums you need cazillion close/veryclose mikes .

That microphone seems to be AKG 414 - a very high-quality studio condenser - also quite suitable for live pa.