R.I.P. Dolores O'Riordan (The Cranberries)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Another very sad day...
Dolores O'Riordan, the lead singer of the Irish rock band the Cranberries, died on Monday in London. She was only 46 years old...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/dolores-oriordan-the-cranberries-singer-dead-at-46-w515435

dolores-o-riordan-94727-sumi.jpg

2,w=993,q=high,c=0.bild.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That sucks - way too young! Very unique vocal style. Thanks for the Guild photos and link, Ralf.

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
real sad, 4 years younger than I. her voice was great.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This is so sad. She was one of the most unique voices of my Generation and truly one of a kind. R.I.P. and thanks for all the music and memories.

TX

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Her voice was wonderful, I have many great memories about their music in the 90ies, I used to hang out with a lot of Irish friends in Munich at that time.
Even the more modern style songs were brilliant:

Ralf

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Way to young to go , sad to hear :(

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ms. O'Riordan was the subject of "Guild sightings" posts here over the years.

Listened to a good part of Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can't We on the way home from work tonight. There are so many Celtic elements in her vocals ...

And here's something from MTV London in '94.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have been listening to a lot of her stuff this evening and there is something that stands out to me about her. There are many people in this world who are blessed with wonderful vocals. There is an elite group of people in my mind and to my ear whose vocals are an actual instrument in the mix and she is one of the ones at the top of that list in my opinion. She could just sing without any accompanying instruments and still sound so phenomenal that you could just get lost listening to her voice. So sad that she has left us so soon. 46 is way too young.

Thanks to Ralf and GJ for posting those performances, Great Stuff!

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With all respect for Ms. O'Riordan's untimely and regrettable passing, 13 posts and nobody's asked what kind of Guild that is yet?
(I think it's been answered before but I can't remember, all I can tell is that it must be one of the Gruhn-inspired pieces with that headstock and the slotted diamond fretboard inlays)
A D60?

Zelja

Reaction score
There is an elite group of people in my mind and to my ear whose vocals are an actual instrument in the mix and she is one of the ones at the top of that list in my opinion.
I said something similar to my god-daughter a few hours ago when watching a a bunch of their songs on TV. It was during her vocal interlude on Dreams and I said "You don't need a guitar solo or lick when you can do that".

Saddened by her passing. First heard "Linger" and I was knocked out - gorgeous song & still my favourite Cranberries song. They also did a great version of "Go Your Own Way". A unique voice & talent for sure.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...13 posts and nobody's asked what kind of Guild that is yet? A D60?
From the pure looks either a D-66 (1984-1987) or a D-60 (1987-1990). The years are from Gruhns book. I would be not able to tell a visible difference between a D-66 and a D-60.

However on a gearlist for their year 1999 and also 2000 tour her two Guild guitars were notes as:

Guild D-60 acoustic guitar
Guild True American acoustic guitar

The 2003 tour only had the D-60 listed. So yes, D-60 it is.

She played that D-60 for a very long time, there are pictures of that same guitar (visible on the pickguard pattern) from 1993 till 2003 at least.
There were various Taylor guitars as well depending on the songs but I didn't find any pictures with the Guild True American.

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I didn't find any pictures with the Guild True American.
I think you already know this but in case it's throwing new members off, the "True Americans" were really nothing than a logo on the TRC that first appeared on the a/e dreadnoughts ca '94 (DCE-1 through 5).
It was the theme for a publicity campaign to focus attention on the new Guild a/e's, per Hans many years ago, and I pray I've got it right (pretty sure about that one because I've got one myself).
They later appeared on D4's and D25's (mine's got one) but I don't remember ever seeing 'em on anything else.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think you already know this but in case it's throwing new members off, the "True Americans" were really nothing than a logo on the TRC that first appeared on the a/e dreadnoughts ca '94 (DCE-1 through 5).
It was the theme for a publicity campaign to focus attention on the new Guild a/e's, per Hans many years ago, and I pray I've got it right (pretty sure about that one because I've got one myself).
They later appeared on D4's and D25's (mine's got one) but I don't remember ever seeing 'em on anything else.
Yes, the Jan 15th, 1994 price list shows the DCE-1 and DCE-5 as "True American" models.
And later the Guild Gallery Number 1 Winter '97-'98 showed the D4 Gloss model as "New True American". Followed by the normal D-4, D25 and D25-12. And next under "True American" again the DCE-1 and DCE-5. Also there was a D4-12 in 1997. In summer 1998 the D4 Mahogany followed in the Guild Gallery as "New True American". The DCE-3 probably was never in that True American marketing line.
It was the special TRC only.

hqdefault.jpg

Ralf