Newark Starfire II Bass bridge adjust,ent help please

Diggey

Reaction score
Folks, I'm loving my Starfire bass but new to this bass in general. I love it, it sounds amazing and now I'm ready to start the process of getting it setup that I prefer, however, I have a few questions.

The two grub screws will raise and lower my bridge at the front part of the bridge. It almost reduces the pitch and cause some choking and buzzing. I also can't get one side lower then the other or the grub rattles.

The back stays elevated because the two Phillips head screws hold it and there is a foam underneath. The end result is my action is either too high on the "G" side or my "E" string rattles.

Do you lower folks lower the Phillips head screws to lower the bridge and use the grub screws to set pitch of bridge?

The pickups sound great, and the neck and everything is straight and solid. I'm really liking this. Also, the stock strings, anyone know what they are? Any recommendations for a Phil Lesh/ Berry Oakley fan? Thanks

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you dont adjust the 2 smaller rear screws, only the bigger ones that raise and lower the bridge.

it sounds like one or more or the wood saddles will need to be slotted a bit to get it just right. you may (or may not) also need to move a saddle slightly back (or forward) on the slider in the bridge. those slots in the wood saddles are meant to be deepened if necessary.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
"grub screws" are a new one for me.

009-9130-049_m85_bridge_assembly.jpg

The "posts" closest to the saddles are the primary means of adjusting action. I raise or lower them until I get close. Then I check intonation and other "fine" adjustments. Those are done by "sliding" the saddles towards or away from the neck. Sometimes the groove in the saddle needs to be modified. The picture is from Guild, M85 parts, and you can see that the installed has to provide the saddle groove.

There are reasons why some people replaced the vintage bridge :)